"Vomit" wheat mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGFB

Reaction score
So, 6lbs of cracked white wheat, at a constan148F temp. for a couple hours. I left it to cool, had to go and do a 24 shift. Covered it with wrap and left it in the pot... come home, take of the top, and my better half said it smells like vomit. (I thought it was a sour mash smell, ready for the still that I haven't made yet).

The question: Do I run with it heat up to boil, throw in some noble hops, and see what happens? or dump it because i just created a giant vat of ergotism in a bottle....(which actually would be kinda cool for the hallucination factor, but the other pathological syndromes are pretty nasty)...

I wonder if the alkaloids would be denatured by the heat... Maybe its just really stinky bacterial production? maybe make a gallon, and keep it away from all my regular brewing supplies to keep from cross contamination, and see what happens?

Figured I would throw it out there see what you all think..

Umm... who says there are alkaloids?

Boil it to destroy any botulinum toxin. If after fermentation it still smells bad, you may be able to salvage it with Brett, if you want to go that route.

Ah, the alkaloids from the ergot!
Right? All I need is a still and off to the rye.
Anyhoo, boiled it, it seemed to get worse. So I ate the $12, and dumped it in the yard. Now the dog is rolling in it....
It was just a bad day.
Good news is there are still some wheats in the basement.

Thanks for the input.

Fusarium head blight has been a concern over the last couple of years. It's side effect is commonly known as "vomitoxin". It has an off smell, and can cause vomiting, fever, etc in animals and humans that consume it.

You may have picked up a batch of wheat that had higher than acceptable fusarium infection.

I left spent grains in my cooler mash tun with the lid ajar for about 24 hours this weekend prior to cleaning because we had to run out of the house to get to a concert. Day 2 grains smelled very much of vomit, and I didn't enjoy the cleanup at all.

HA! Thanks for the stories, I am not alone!
The starter that I had got a couple extra days to really grow before I got to the store and get more wheat.
The good news I had taken out the grain before it sat, so it was all vomit liquid, so now she just got a bath, and the grass hopefully grows better there.

ah the vomit stink, leave your mashed grains in a container for a few days and its horrid.

Latest posts

Back