Vomit Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dood56

Reaction score
I just pulled my brew out of Secondary and siphoned it into my keg. Naturally, I had to sneak a taste before I kegged it. As I brought it to my mouth it smelled like vomit. Tasted fine and like beer, but the smell was really foul. Is this something that will mellow out as I age it to carbonate it, or am I screwed?

Hopefully it's just your breath... :D sorry couldn't resist....:off:

I try not to smell "Vomit"... and have never smelled that from my beer. I'll be reading your post as this continues as this is something that is a curiosity to me.

I can't believe that if it tasted good that it's anything that wouldn't age out though, Although if it persists, maybe you could dry hop it before you carbonate it??? For a different aroma?

Do you secondary in a stomach?

Sorry couldn't resist.

Some of my brews had pretty stiff smells at bottling time that were gone after carbonation finished up. At least it doesn't taste like vomit.

Following along with all the above helpful answers . . . I'll say "I think beer should not smell like vomit." Its my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

:ban:

I have no idea what is going on with your beer, though, so can't really say. Is it really vomit-like or perhaps more sulfur-ish? Yeast can throw off a sulfur smell that usually dissipates as you age the beer.

I'd keep it in the secondary for another two weeks or so, bottle when its ready, and see how it turns out. At this point, there's no reason not to see the thing through. Cheers!

Fortunately I have some aging time to go. It is a honey blonde that I brewed. I am going to natural carb it in the keg. I figure on drinking it in about three weeks time. As far as sulfur, it is not that smell. I am pretty familiar with that smell and that is not what I am smelling. Thanks for all the help and "help".

I've had yeast cakes that had a very strong vomit like smell when I cleaned them out. The beer came out fine though.

I always think the same thing when I smell the trub at the end. I can tell you that it reminds me that the days when I would have a serious hangover with Bud. I guess its the hops and all.

I think time will fix it. Young beer, like young children, often smell all kinds of terrible, but the mature into goodness. :)

I have now had 4 beers do this to me. They are all darker beers and usually over 1.060 OG. All my light color beers and IPAs turn out just fine. Does anyone know what causes this?

Back