Vissani Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you using plastic/glass carboys - do you cover the door with an additional light blocker or is the tinting of the glass sufficient?

For those of you using plastic/glass carboys - do you cover the door with an additional light blocker or is the tinting of the glass sufficient?

I don't worry about, all though mine is in the garage where it's not exposed to direct sunlight.

I cut a piece of 1/2" thick foam that fits against the front glass, big enough that it fits within the seal but does't move. After I added this, I stopped getting condensation on the glass.

Carlscan26 said:

That's a great question. Whenever I ferment in a bucket I never worry about it. But I also do small batches where my fermenters are clear and when they are in there, I put foil or a towel over the front just to be safe.

Hops are affected by sunlight, so unless you're making hopless beer or enjoy skunky beer, I'd suggest doing what the others have done and cover up the glass.

barrooze said:
Hops are affected by sunlight, so unless you're making hopless beer or enjoy skunky beer, I'd suggest doing what the others have done and cover up the glass.

Agreed, if sunlight was getting to mine I'd cover the glass.

Agreed, if sunlight was getting to mine I'd cover the glass.

Is it any wavelength of light or specifically UV? I also don't get any direct sunlight in my garage but just to be safe I cover mine with two layers if black plastic. But I guess I'm curious because if its ok for wine would the uv filtration be sufficient for beer too?

Carlscan26 said:
Is it any wavelength of light or specifically UV? I also don't get any direct sunlight in my garage but just to be safe I cover mine with two layers if black plastic. But I guess I'm curious because if its ok for wine would the uv filtration be sufficient for beer too?

Good point! I wonder if it is good enough with just the glass? I don't know anything really about wine so I don't know if wine oxidizes or not? But I always just did it as an extra precaution because I didn't know. Time to google and see what I find

Light

Strong, direct sunlight or incandescent light can adversely react with phenolic compounds in wine and create potential wine faults. Delicate, light-bodied white wines run the greatest risk from light exposure and are often packaged in darkly tinted wine bottles that offer some protection from the light.

So, it seems the dark bottles offer most of the protection with maybe some of the glass also offering up some protection. So, since I still am not convinced, I'll leave mine covered with clear fermenters and uncovered with buckets!

Light

Strong, direct sunlight or incandescent light can adversely react with phenolic compounds in wine and create potential wine faults. Delicate, light-bodied white wines run the greatest risk from light exposure and are often packaged in darkly tinted wine bottles that offer some protection from the light.

So, it seems the dark bottles offer most of the protection with maybe some of the glass also offering up some protection. So, since I still am not convinced, I'll leave mine covered with clear fermenters and uncovered with buckets!

Thanks!

I just bought this model and plan to use it with no mods has anyone done this and had sucess. It will be indoors at an ambient temp of 75 degrees.

Yup, I use mine with no mods and it works great. I just set the temp to the lowest setting and use a Control Products TC-9102D-HV to regulate the temperature. For heating I taped a 150 watt reptile cable heater to the inner walls using Gorilla Tape.

Have my first brew in it and am maintaining 70 degrees on setting 4 its sweet! Brewing an amber ale.

Lumpyyyyy said:
Does the aquarium controller usually come with a sensor or is buying your own recommended?

The STC-1000 does. I have two and they work great

Is there a good way to route wires into the back of the unit? I have the heating element and temp probe going under the door seal. I use a towel to block airflow from that spot, but I would rather have a sealed route in the back. Any good spots to drill, or other tricks?

But yeah, the thing works like a champ. Not having to worry about temperature is fantastic. I will probably build a second one.

Is there a good way to route wires into the back of the unit? I have the heating element and temp probe going under the door seal. I use a towel to block airflow from that spot, but I would rather have a sealed route in the back. Any good spots to drill, or other tricks?

But yeah, the thing works like a champ. Not having to worry about temperature is fantastic. I will probably build a second one.

I've only fermented at ale temps thus far and don't need to worry about condensation; when I decide to try a lager, I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

I don't get it,if a wine chiller allows temps to get up to 65 degrees,,,,,,,why is there a need to get a temp controller. I can see if there is a freezer in your system like a fridgerator.

More control over temperature? I don't trust the variability in a mechanical thermostat; plus the temp controller is a cheap and fun DIY build. Plus the STC-1000 provided a visual indicator of temp

PackerFan -- If you want to use the fridge with its own thermostat, I would first run it for a while with a min/max thermometer in it. If there is too much temperature swing then that makes the yeast unhappy, right? And that would be a reason to use an external temperature control.

Another reason to use the external controller is that it has a sensor on a wire. With a thermowell you can know the temperature inside the fermenter, not just the temperature on the outside of the bucket. They do differ.

But even without any add-ons, the fridge is probably a big improvement over the irregular temperatures in a house... assuming that the dial gets it to the temperature you want.

I don't get it,if a wine chiller allows temps to get up to 65 degrees,,,,,,,why is there a need to get a temp controller. I can see if there is a freezer in your system like a fridgerator.

Just because you have a room temp of 65F does t mean your yeasties are fermenting at 65F. The point of fermentation temp control the temp of the fermenting wort. Being able to maintain 65F when your yeast want to get into the 80s makes a huge difference in the finished beer.

Also, some of us live in ridiculously warm climates and 68F is tough to maintain without a fridge like this!

I use the same style fridge, but it is a Magic Chef. I also use a STC-1000, and they work great together.

d027938f.jpg

EEE3D12C-1579-4C01-BA25-3928622E05A0-13583-000007C51D09ECD5.jpg

While running this with the stc 1000 should the dial inside the fridge be turned all the way up to max cold setting?

I was wondering if any of you have had problems keeping this fridge around 40F after using the external temp control. I wanted to use this as a fermentor and then put my corny keg in it(eventually turning it into a kegerator). Has any one kept this fridge below 40 for a month or so? Will it burn out the motor?

Thanks!

So I recently finished a build that would mirror the OP's and I'm kinda curious about the flexwatt heat tape. It's been running an hour or so but I've seen barely a 1 degree bump in temp. It's running in 65 ambient and I'm trying to get up to 73. Is this even possible with this stuff? It's definitely on as it's warm to the touch.

Ty

So I recently finished a build that would mirror the OP's and I'm kinda curious about the flexwatt heat tape. It's been running an hour or so but I've seen barely a 1 degree bump in temp. It's running in 65 ambient and I'm trying to get up to 73. Is this even possible with this stuff? It's definitely on as it's warm to the touch.

Ty

It will take some time to change the temperature due to the volume of the liquid. The same will be true when trying to cool.

In the winter the ambient around my chambers is 45 - 50F and I have been able to raise a beer from 68 to 72F. I also have no problem maintaining temperature.

Can these refrigerators hold a standard ball lock keg in them?
Would require enough height with a gas fitting on it.

I do closed system pressurized fermentation in Cornelius kegs and would like to open myself to lagering indoors all year round. I am currently using the STC-1000 in two applications already, so I am very familiar with their use.

Some simple specs on interior height would probably suffice.

Can these refrigerators hold a standard ball lock keg in them?
Would require enough height with a gas fitting on it.

I do closed system pressurized fermentation in Cornelius kegs and would like to open myself to lagering indoors all year round. I am currently using the STC-1000 in two applications already, so I am very familiar with their use.

Some simple specs on interior height would probably suffice.

I just place a ball lock in there and it does fit, the height to the thermostat on the top of the unit is 26.5". The overall interior height is 28"

Just completed my build. I will post the full build and instructions soon. Here's a few pics.

image-2997247613.jpg

image-3094785180.jpg

Just went to the home depot website to buy one of these and they are sold out. Then checked all my local stores and they dont carry them in store here. These arent discontinued are they?

When I got mine 2 weeks ago it was in the front of the store with the discount appliances.

HD has them on clearance in store for $118. Most stores in the area had 1. My local store had 1 but the seal was not good on the door so I went to another store at lunch the other day and got one. Haven't got the materials for the temperature controller yet, but does okay holding to within 2 degrees on it's own after 24 hours of running.

I plan on doing a Czech Pilsner with a lager yeast this weekend.

Just picked one up at lunch for $118.00. Clearance plus 20% off.

The catch is, everything online says sold out around here. I called 4 stores and found one with 3 in stock even though online it said that store did not sell this item!

Call around, you might be surprised. HD sku is 373746.

Latest posts

Back