Vissani 52 Wine Bottle Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think a fermenter will fit.

I've seen photographic evidence. I'm inclined to believe it.

They fit here's a bucket and 6 gallon carboy:

VissaniBucket1.jpg

Vissani6GalCarboy.jpg

Ya fermentors fit fine.... I've done a few batches already in my 2 Vissani's.... In fact i took my fermenting bucket to Home Depot to make sure it fit before I bought them! LOL

Hi everyone.

I just completed a 2 tap kegerator conversion using this wine fridge. It went very smoothly. It seems that there are no coolant lines toward the back of the fridge, and I had no trouble drilling through the top using a 1.5 inch hole saw.

If I set the temperature control to 6, it will chill the beer ice cold, so I leave it around 4-5.

If anyone is considering doing a conversion on one of these, I'd highly recommend it. You don't need to do any modification other than drilling through the top and there is ample space for 2 kegs and a 5 pound CO2 tank.

Cheers and happy brewing!

Homeey,
hey man, I just finished my first brew and I am using the Vissani 52 to cool my corny keg.
Well, the size is great but I will not cool any lower than 52 degrees.. Man, I looked all over but was unable to find that phillips head, could you post a pic of the spot where you made the adjustment. Thanks in advance. I am brand new here so Hello.

Completed this project about 3 weeks ago. Grabbed Vissani 52 at Home Depot for $134. Found a late 40's tv cabinet on Craigslist for $25 and used it as a cabinet for the cooler. I used the copper pipe and spray foam meathod for tower cooling. Also tied a 4" computer fan into the wiring for the light (prior to the light switch, so that it constantly runs) to circulate air within the cooler. Did not have to adjust the small screw for temperature adjustment, however if you pull off housing for the light and temperature control knob, you'll find it there. I keep the temperature setting at 4 1/2 and it's maintaining a temperature at 39 degrees. Also, no foaming issues with first pull. I'll post a couple pics here in the following post.

Just want to say thanks for the info. Picked up one a few weeks ago, with the highest setpoint 7 (lowest temp) I was getting down to 49 or so with one corny. Yesterday I took a look at the temp control mechanism/thermostat assembly. On the back left corner of the little box that houses the tstat is a small screw with an access hole. I used a small phillips and gave it a 1/2 turn clockwise and it dropped the temp below 40. Basically it seems putting more pressure on the spring increases the amount of force required by the tstat.

I just acquired this same fridge from CL, but I had to turn the screw counter-clockwise to get the temperature lower (lowest temp was ~50F when I got the fridge, now it gets down to 31F :D). I noticed there are 2 adjustment screws in the thermostat. One of them is visible in taptheschrockies's third photo - that's the one that I turned CCW to make the fridge colder. The other one is inside the metal housing, but accessible through a hole. Did you adjust the second one? Can someone explain what the 2 screws are controlling?

Ive been waiting a few months to post to this thread since I purchased this same model from Home Depot at the beginning of Jan this year.

After 4 months of using as a kegorator I can confirm these Pro's and Con's discussed earlier in this thread-

Pro's--
* Inexpensive and zero 'cold plate' (evaporator) modding like most mini fridges
* Build quality is above average for the price.
* Refrigeration setup (components) with this unit are simple. Zero electronics. For those in the trade, we're talking simple cap tube and the PCT part# is widely available. LG brand compressor. 134a.
* Adjusting the thermostat will allow the unit to go below freezing. I ran it this way for a few days and never slugged the compressor.
* In house warranty through Magic Chef (fwiw)
* Reasonably quiet when running
* Unit doesnt constantly cycle once filled with beer and down to serving temps like I thought it might. I assumed it would because a wine chiller typically isnt insulated as well as a fridge.

Con's--

* Requires some DIY to convert to a kegerator (of course you already knew this)

* Using the factory thermostat is adequate at best. (Temp swings). However, Im using the factory stat and its good enough for me. The temp of the beer doesnt swing enough for me to care. Then again, I do keep a lot of beer in there...more thermal mass.

* Unit isn't insulated quite as well as a mini-fridge...mainly the glass door being an issue. Running at colder temps (36*F) condensation tends to form at the bottom of the outside glass if there is enough humidity in the air.

* Cannot hold two Coke style corny kegs. Only two Pepsi style kegs.

I really cant think of anything else. I hope this may be some help to others considering this model. $148 paid for by this workin man. SmokeNBrew has approved this message.

I was thinking about buying that same wine cooler to use as a kegerator.
how is it working so far?
Is it worth it?

I've seen photographic evidence. I'm inclined to believe it.

It's late and I've had beer, so I haven't read much further than this post. But yes, they do. I use this as my fermentation chamber. Have been doing so for the past 4 months. I'd probably give this thing a 6.5 or 7 out of 10 for the price. It works decent enough.

And yes, it'll hold a 6.5-gallon carboy with an airlock on top (but just barely). The shelf in the back is handy for holding bucket o' blow-off.

Many apologies if this has been mentioned before me.

Back