Visiting New England, what should I drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I am going to be in New England this weekend. What regional beers should i look to try if I can find them?

New England is a large area... care to elaborate the state/region where? Are brewery visits out of the question?

I'm doing the same, visiting Connecticut (Hartford Area) and Massachusetts (Cape Cod and Boston). I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. :)

Sorry,
posted this late last night after finished cleaning a brew session while checking the weather.
Heres more details.

25 th HS reunion. Last time I was there the drinking age in NH was 18 and my really bad fake id worked. I am hoping the statute of limitations has elapsed by now. I will be landing in Manchester and driving to Saxtons River VT. May fly out of Boston on monday. Proly no brewery visits but want a list of good regional beers to not miss if it presents itself.

Is dogfish a NE beer?

Dogfish is not a NE brew. I suggest Berkshire Brewing, Long Trail, McNeil's Brewery, Shipyard, and Rock Art Brewery.

Sorry,
posted this late last night after finished cleaning a brew session while checking the weather.
Heres more details.

25 th HS reunion. Last time I was there the drinking age in NH was 18 and my really bad fake id worked. I am hoping the statute of limitations has elapsed by now. I will be landing in Manchester and driving to Saxtons River VT. May fly out of Boston on monday. Proly no brewery visits but want a list of good regional beers to not miss if it presents itself.

Is dogfish a NE beer?

Dogfish Head is from Maryland. Magic Hat is from Vermont and of course Sam Adams and Harpoon are in Boston. There's alot of good regional breweries up there, however there's nothing in Manchester. I've been there before, it's a snooze.

Don't leave out Smuttynose. McNeil's is high on the list, especially if you'll be in VT. Harpoon is based in Boston but also has a brewery in VT.

Woodstock Inn, namely the Pigs Ear brown. Anything Allagash but I think theyre pretty well distributed. Shipyard and Seadog are both out of Maine with some decent brews, but nothing spectacular, maybe try the shipyard export and the Seadog blueberry wheat. Give Smuttynose a try, also there is the East coast RedHook right here in NH, they're distributed nationally but I happen to know that they are not sold in Utah. Try their ESB, its great.

If you find your way near Brattleboro, VT, HBT's very own Glibbidy has his own "Amarillo Brillo" on draft at McNeill's. I need to make a road trip to sample this concoction, myself.

Bluesunshine- if you are on the Cape head for Cape Cod Beer! (They may even have a little of their "hot blonde" chili beer left.

VT'er here, so regionally biased. Rock Art is great (get a Vermonster, just to celebrate their win over monster energy drinks on the trademark suit), Switchback (on tap all over the BTV area now), Long Trail Double Bag...

I am really excited to check out Hill Farmstead brewing some time this summer- Their brewer worked for trout river and the Shed then moved to Denmark to learn more brewing there, not hill is his own place:

http://hillfarmstead.com/wpblog/?bloggerURL=/.com/

Also, at least up here in VT, lots of Quebec stuff creeps in. Unibroue things for sure, but also things from Dieu du Ciel: http://www.dieuduciel.com/ Their Route D'Epices is way interesting (black pepper!)

Allagash is by far the class of the New England breweries. Some of their stuff enjoys really wide distribution as noted above, but it's always worth peeking around to see if one of their less common brews is available.

Shipyard and Sea Dog are, as noted, okay but pretty boring; there are many better breweries in Maine.

Geary's in Maine was the first microbrewery east of the Rocky Mountains, and I believe the first microbrewery to reimport and grow English Fuggles when the craft movement got off the ground. Their pale ale uses all Fuggles, which is a nice change of pace from American C-hops every once in a while.

Bar Harbor Brewery's Cadillac Mountain Stout is really fantastic. The rest of their lineup is pretty meh.

Oh, I forgot, Maine Beer Company has some really fantastic stuff, though even in-state it can be a little tough to find. The Peeper Ale and the Zoe Amber are both fantastic.

Great Lost Bear in Portland, ME (which is the beer mecca of New England) sometimes has something on tap. If you get a chance, the Bear merits a special trip.

Blurb from their site at http://www.greatlostbear.com/ :
First expanding from eight beer taps to twenty four, then thirty six, the Bear now features SIXTY FIVE taps with fifteen Maine Microbreweries represented including Five Taps in "Allagash Alley" that will permanently be dedicated to unusual brews from the Allagash Brewing Company. FOUR Cask Conditioned Hand Pumps are usually dispensing local favorites like Geary's Hampshire Special Ale, Shipyard's Old Thumper, Allagash Barrel Aged Beer or Sheepscot's Boothbay Special Bitter. The GLB also has a rotating array of Belgian and Extreme Beer selections. In The Great Lost Bear has been named one of the Top Ten Beer Bars in the United States by Celebrator Beer News, Barleycorn, Beer Advocate and The Malt Advocate. CHEERS Magazine has just name the Great Lost Bear the Best Beer Bar in the U.S.A. for 2008 in their annual Benchmark Awards Issue. All About Beer Magazine said, "This is our idea of a Perfect Bar" as well as naming the Bear one of 125 Places to Have a Beer before you die. Gourmet magazine said "One of the greatest bars on earth....the truly great GREAT LOST BEAR"

Okay, if you'll be in the VT/NH area, look for bombers of Rock Art- they've gone a little over board with some of their "EXTREME" beers lately in that they're simply jacking up the ABV and not all the beers taste good, but their Vermonster (remember the Monster lawsuit?) Barelywine is good as is the Ridge Runner mild Barleywine. I'm also partial to thier Midnight Madness smoked porter,j even though this isnt quite the time of year for it. IIRC their Extreme Hells Bock and Belvidere Big IPA are also on the top of my list. I'm a big rock art supporter!

The afore mentioned Harpoon is good, fairly popular in the region. McNeill's beer is well worth finding, as mentioned before there is a HBT member who I believe is brewing there now, near fulltime. Check out Smuttynose products too if you can find them!

As for further south (bluesunshine) I've found that I really enjoy Ipswitch IPA. Tastes like some IPA's that I've made so I'm glad mine are on par :D

Visit a couple bottle shops/liqour stores/food cooperatives in the NH/VT/MA/RI/CT area and you'll be able to find some local unique stuff!

Mustn't leave out New England Brewing Company in CT, specifically Sea Hag IPA. It comes in can but don't be scared off by that. Also, a true New England trip requires a growler of Olde Burnside's Ten Penny Ale.

+1 on Old Burnside's 10 Penny. A friend brought a growler over last summer and it was delicious. They sell it at healthy Living in South Burlington now.

Having grown up in Manchester, NH, my recommendations would probably be Magic Hat, Long Trail and Harpoon. I know they were all already mentioned.

Also, while in Manchester, it's worth it to stop and check out Milly's Tavern and Brewpub in the millyard. It's been some years since I've been there, but as I recall, they have some quality brews.

I like Long Trail, but some dont, but I like mostly all their beers.
What about Allagash white, that seems to be pretty popular among beer snobs.
Harpoon - their IPA is popular, not a huge fan of their other beers.

And if you're in Boston, check out Beer Works - great brewpub beers and food.

You'll need somewhere to drink these regional beers. Since you will be in Saxtons River, a stop at the Pleasant Valley Brewing should be in order, aside from the Saxtons River Inn it is the only place in town you can drink beer. They are located at 16 Main St.

While yes it is a brewery, they don't have any beers on tap yet...Long story, but there are zoning issues with the grain silos and fermenters they wish to install.

The Saxtons River general store has a decent selection of local beers. All above were mostly mentioned. McNeill's, Long Trail, Otter Creek, Rock Art, Wolavers, etc...

If you can gat to Brattleboro ( 20 minutes away) you should stop into McNeill's and try our beer. PM me if you want a tour of the brewery.:mug:

EDIT: since you will be coming from Machester (likely on 101) consider stopping at the Elm City Brewery in Keene, NH. The have some good beer on tap there, and growlers to go!

Smuttynose or Ipswich (tons of ales) - Avail all over the place and their breweries are closely located in a good road trip area of Portsmouth & Ipswich for a beach day followed by good restaurants.
Cisco (MA) interesting varieties

Tuckerman's Pale Ale (NH - kinda light but I like it)

Sam - hey born and live here

-----------------------------------------------
The pasteurized stuff
Otter Creek (VT... they had a beers of the world series that had various good beers)
Harpoon Leviathon (Imperial IPA)

Things I've heard about but never done:
White Birch Brewery - http://www.whitebirchbrewing.com/ I'm dying to try them and I'm in the area all the time just not east of the river. Looks like a micro micro micro brewery and area of sales has increased. Barrel aged, Belgium and other artisenals. Just checking out the website is wicked pissa. They do beer not websites. Basic with a sampling of good beer p*rn.

Watchusetts Their normal line of beer is ok but I hear Larry's PH is good. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20/51428

Trout River (VT)

You may be so north you may go canuck:
Dieu du Ciel Peche Mortel (Imperial Coffee stout.... It's breakfast in a bottle)
http://www.gordonswine.com/sku32669...m=feed&utm_campaign=DIEU DU CIEL PECHE MORTEL

Bars in ....
Boston area
Sunset Grill Tap(Allston)
Publick House (Brookline)
Cambridge Brewing
John Harvards

(use to live in Southern NH and I believe these are still around. Been a while since visited)
Nashua
Martha's Microbrewery and Restaurant

Manchester
Stark Mill
Milly's Tavern

Lowell MA
Brewery Exchange

Gardner Ale house

Boston Beer works next to fenway park. Bunkerhill blueberry is the best blueberry beer ive had. and get the beer battered steak tips!

Great Lost Bear in Portland, ME (which is the beer mecca of New England) sometimes has something on tap. If you get a chance, the Bear merits a special trip.

Blurb from their site at http://www.greatlostbear.com/ :

If you wind up near there, I'd check out Novare Res Bier Cafe in Portland too. Great Belgian bar that currently is doing a Belgian bier fest with nothing but Belgians on tap. http://www.novareresbiercafe.com/events.htm

On top of everything else listed, I'd keep an eye out for a leftover pack of Troeg's Nugget Nectar and some stuff from Pretty Things.

I'm doing the same, visiting Connecticut (Hartford Area) and Massachusetts (Cape Cod and Boston). I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. :)

Hartford:
You can find me this weekend at Thomas Hooker... they do tastings evey saturday for $5!!!:ban:

Another local to Hartford is Burnside - "Ten Penny" is their staple.. personally I like their Dirty Penny - which is a mix of their Ten Penny with a stout

Ommegang (although they seem to have a wide distro so perhaps you are familiar)
Allagash
Middle Ages (fine english ales<central ny>)
and Rock Art have my vote

If you wind up near there, I'd check out Novare Res Bier Cafe in Portland too. Great Belgian bar that currently is doing a Belgian bier fest with nothing but Belgians on tap. http://www.novareresbiercafe.com/events.htm

Yes, Novare Res is awesome.

There's a not insane argument that Portland, ME is the best Portland in the country for beer, per capita. It might not be, but the argument isn't totally insane. And Portland, OR is a truly great beer city.

Thanks Guys for the suggestions. I had to look at the responses on the browser on my cell phone. I had a hard time choosing so I tried them all. Unfortunately after trying every microbrew in NE I don't remember the details too well, but I had a great time.

I was leaving Manchester and got onto 93 and one of the first things I saw was Rest Stop/NH liquors store next stop. I thought wow I am not in Utah anymore, this is too easy. I excitedly exited and went in to pick out some beer, unfortunately it was only liquor. After 93 I was on backroads for over an hour and did not even see a grocery store until I made a wrong turn and ended up in Hancock NH and went into the grocery store to ask for directions. While there I checked out the beer selection. They had a very impressive selection of SN products. Not that i can't get SN at home but they had some types I have never seen. I ended up picking up a 6 of Harpoon IPA.

Just before I crossed the River into VT there was a store advertising beer, etc. I went in and saw the most amazing selection. I added an Arrogant Bastard, DFH 90, Smuttynose, and McNeils IPA to the weekends menu. I know they are not all NE beers but ones I have heard tons about and wanted to try.

In Saxtons River I got to try Magic Hat #9, LT IPA, LT Double Bag, a few UFO Wheats, 2 types of Scottish Ales, and a darker IPA, whose name I don't recall. These are the only ones I can remember trying but I am sure there were more.

I had a great time and tried some great beers. I was also reminded of what a desert I live in, in many ways, man NE is beautiful.

PS: one of the beers I drank, was so grapefruity, was that smuttynose?

Smuttynose IPA is probably my favorite beer. Although after enjoying a bomber of their Imperial Stout, which could be called a Black Imperial IPA really, it may have a challenger. Get your hands on it at all costs, if you are open to brews that push the envelope on style guidelines pretty far.

Berkshire Brewing Company also puts out a host of good beers, though I'm not sure if they've penetrated southern NH yet. I think I've tried everything they brew on regular rotation (being a Berkshire County resident :)) as well as most of their seasonals and haven't been disappointed yet. Quality brew with no unpleasant surprises. It was this brewery that got me into "interesting" beer about six years ago when I reached for a growler of Lost Sailor IPA instead of my usual Coors or Gennessee after earning a bonus at work. ;)

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the BBC Steel Rail Pale Ale. Weird flavor in the malt, almost vegetal... DMS, maybe?

I gotta make my way out to the brewery someday, though.

Check out Sebago if you get around Portland, Maine. If you do, check out Allagash and see if you can get in on a brewery tour. Sea Dog, Shipyard and Gearys are easy to find but pretty blah.

Back