Virgin Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12ozrebel

Reaction score
Peeked your interest by title.
HBT Village Elders,

I am doing my first lager and I pitched the yeast Monday morning and there has been no activity as of yet. Should I be nervous? My fridge that I am using is right at 50 degrees F. Any suggestions?

Thanks, 12oz

Remember that lager yeast is a bottom feeder. So it doesn't always produce the same type of visible action as ale yeast, especially at the bookends of fermentation (start and end). Did you make a starter and ensure the yeast's viability?

Carboy with bubbler or pail? Pails don't generally seal well, so that also hides activity. Stick your nose in and sniff - if it's working you'll get the prickle of carbonation in your nose.

I'd be patient and NOT warm things up in your worried state.

What kind of yeast, how much, did you rehydrate (if dry) or make a starter (if liquid), how did you aerate, how much did you aerate, what temperature did you chill to?

Kombat and McKnuckle,
I threw the yeast in dry (amateur hour) I am using M84 dry Bohemian yeast.
Have always dry thrown ale yeast without worry. I have my blow off into a 22oz bottle. I did not aerate, shook carboy when yeast was applied. I am standing by for good results.
Cheers, 12oz

You underpitched and underaerated, so the yeast are just taking a little longer to get going. Lagers require more yeast and oxygen than ales. The rule of thumb for pitching rates for ales is 4 billion cells per point of original gravity, per 5 gallon batch. Double it for lagers.

came home today and checked the carboy and I am starting to see some activity on the surface so I'm just going to let it roll and see what happens.
What is the best method to aerate the wort prior to pitching?
Cheers! 12oz

"The best" method is to inject pure oxygen using a tank of pure O2, a regulator with a flow meter, and a sintered stainless steel stone with millions of microscopic holes in it. But not everyone is willing to commit the $ for that, and it's overkill for ales, so a lot of brewers just make do with splashing. But with lagers, you really need that extra oxygenation for an optimal ferment.

Back