Vintage Kegerator- My new project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howhownow

Reaction score
Been casually looking on CL for a few months for a vintage fridge to turn into a kegerator. Took my time because I wanted one that was still working well, and I didn't want to spend a lot because I already have a very functional kegerator that doesn't "need" to be replaced. This thing came along earlier this week for $100 and I jumped on it. Picked it up last night, and ready to start working on it next week after the beach this weekend (what can I say, it's looking like a good week)! If there is interest I'll try and document the process, and I also have some items I could use some help/input on.
eXzGAFy.jpg

whW9d27.jpg

FpjQdIQ.jpg

Q3OzUd7.jpg

Q2cfjkm.jpg

bIQOpF2.jpg

Few notes about the fridge and build:
- I do not plan to completely overhaul/restore this fridge. I live in a rental home and don't have a garage or covered area to work in. My goal is to have it looking good and functional within 2 weeks, and without any major structural, mechanical, or paint work.
- The fridge works, the compressor sounds strong. The only item is a "moody" thermostat. They couldn't get it dialed in to the right temp. I plan to bypass this problem by turning the cold all the way up and running it through an stc-1000.
- My ideal plan is a 2-tap kegerator (same as I run now) with space for one on deck carbonating/conditioning.The starting internal dimensions are roughly 24x14. Assuming 9" diameter cornies, I figure that is JUST enough room for 3 kegs. I think I am going to end up removing the door shelves to give myself a bit of extra room, as I know all of my kegs are not EXACTLY 9", and I don't want a constant PITA of cramming kegs in there (wow, phrasing).
- The paint is what I would call 85-90%. The fridge was originally an amazing shade of robins-egg blue. Unfortunately, somewhere in its life, someone painted it eggshell white. Good news is that they did a pretty good job. Other good news is that the paint on the sides is in good shape, and there is virtually no rust. Any that there is could be knocked out with very minimal sanding. The seals around the doors, as far as I can tell, look pretty good.

Now a few questions:
- Assuming that I can fit 3 kegs inside, that is going to leave no space for my CO2 (#5). What is the best way to mount it to the outside? I was looking at fire extinguisher mounts. Also, the cooling coils are exposed internally in the fridge. I can't find any schematics for this thing, but does that mean that I should be safe(r) to drill through the side? That whole concept has me pretty spooked.
- My plan at this moment is to paint only the door. I am going to take it off the chassis and work in the front yard. I'll sand out any rust spots, clean it, tape it, then I am wondering what the best method to paint it would be. I'd like it to really shine, but I know I probably can't get that effect without a pro paint job. I have heard that people have had good luck with just the spray cans of appliance epoxy. The easy way would be to just hit it with a white can of that. On the other hand, I am wondering if it would be kind of tacky to do the door in a color- specifically a similar blue to the original. I can only find appliance epoxy in white- is there another kind of paint that may work?
- I plan on doing some chalkboard paint on the door. as well. I am debating between doing the entire upper recessed portion, or a ~6" horizontal stripe in the 1/3 of the way above the handle.
- My other debate is tap placement. I have two Perlick faucets, and I don't know if I want to arrange them close together above the RCA/Whirlpool logo, or space them evenly on the right 2/3 of the door. Also, right above the handle band with the drip tray(s) below, or higher on the fridge body with the drip tray(s) above the band?
- I am thinking of installing a shelf a few inches above where the bottom one sits now to allow for some bottle/ yeast storage, and to raise the kegs above the "Fruit Storage" drawer so maybe I don't have to remove that. Not quite sure how I'm going to do that, though...

Sorry that was long winded, just wanted to try and cover all of my bases. Right now my main worries are aesthetics and fridge function- the kegerator internals I am comfortable with and feel good about.

Nice!
It's got potential!
I wouldn't bank on the coils that you see there inside, being the only cooling coils.
You would not know for certain unless you pulled the inside " sleeve", if at all possible.
On the door, if you want it to really "shine", you probably need to disassemble it and have it done professionally.
At the same time, ( or before you disassemble it) , see if you can find a replacement seal for the door.

That said, when / if you disassemble the door, you're gonna' find some sick looking "rock wool" or fiberglass insulation in there, and then you're gonna' want to replace that, and then...............

Awesome find! So I'll see what I can do to help here, as I just went through a similar process several months ago :mug: . I have included a photo of my set up for your amusement... but see my thoughts below.
GN9NuPw.jpg

1. CO2 Tank - I have put mine inside (I know.) as well as outside. Outside is obviously the better choice, but remember you will also need to find a way to route the gas in to the kegs. Right now my tank temporarily rests outside the fridge and the tube simply runs through the door gasket. Not ideal, but it works. Ultimately it will be better to drill a hole to pass the tube through, some sort of grommet could make this work okay if the sizes all match up. On mine, I can clearly follow the coolant lines from the compressor up the back of the chasis and into the top of the fridge. Are you able to follow yours the same? Then you wouldn't have to worry about drilling through any lines in the wall. Also, I would tend to think the vertical panel visible from the inside running up the center is an access panel to those lines. I would imagine outside the panel would be safe for drilling, but can't say for sure.
2. I looked into painting mine as well. I found that really unless I had it powder coated nicely from a body shop, I wasn't going to be confident enough in the final quality of the coat. I did a fair amount of research, and would consider myself fairly handy, but painting is just one of those things. Also, I've had several people tell me they like the rust and chips because it adds to the vintage feel, which is valid I suppose.
3. I'm having trouble picturing where you're referring to for the 6" horizontal strip, but I think less chalkboard paint == more vintage feel.
4. Evenly spaced on the right 2/3rds... faucets above the band and drip below. Just my initial thought when I try to picture it.
5. Not sure about the shelf.

Another thought, it seems my thermostat is fairly bad too. A thermometer tells me it ranges between 30 and about 38. I added a simple DC CPU fan that runs constantly though and have narrowed that down to a range of about 3 degrees, much more manageable. May want to consider that. Good luck with the build!

-Tyler

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408277899.121194.jpg
I used automotive candy red with 3 coats of clear. It holds 2 - 1/4 barrel kegs with the Co2 inside. Mine has a freezer in the center top with space on either side. It didn't have any shelving on the door, so to make a little more room I flipped the door panel around.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the responses, guys. Those are some great looking setups. Going to go to the hardware store tonight and see what my choices are in terms of paint. Also going to pick up supplies to clean, sand, and remove any rust. I think I will get an appliance tray or something to put under it until I feel confident I'm not going to have any condensation leaks.
Anything else to think about for the shopping list?

Last night picked up a couple of cans of spray epoxy in gloss light blue/teal, and some clear gloss coating. I am going to see if I can get the results out or that. I have the door broken down and cleaned- all I need to do tonight is sand it and paint it.

I also got to spend my first few hours of "quality time" with the fridge last night, and was able to notice and think about some of the details. The major thing I discovered is that 3 kegs will fit just a tad less snugly than I had expected, so I will not need to remove all of the door shelving.
I am still pondering the CO2, and how to run it outside. Monsterbrew- I thought you may be right and checked under that strip up the back of the fridge. It's actually a super cool light. That still has me in the dark about the coils. Tonight I am going to investigate mounting it on the inside of the door on the shelf behind the handle, and running the gas line back to the manifold alongside the tap lines. I have never seen something like this done, so I'll have to think it through.

Here's what I did with my CO2........ Most of these vintage fridges are really short and on mine the bottom front panel comes off really easily. I built a box about 8" tall and put the fridge on it. I put the CO2 tank under the fridge and run my hose through the bottom up to a manifold mounted on the inside.
Probably confusing without pics but I am in the process of remodeling the brewery and going electric so it isn't setup in prime form for the paparazzi.

I found a pic of the fridge but she's not setup as I'm remodeling at the moment. That's a whole 'nuther thread tho.

1408492439977.jpg

Dex: That thing is beautiful. Mine has a working freezer underneath, but that would otherwise be a good option.
Rekoob: The CO2 will be upright. I mocked up a very redimentary, not-to-scale plan below. It utilizes space on the right of the door that is otherwise unusable.
AqikE2g.jpg

First coat of pain went on last night! Letting that dry overnight, then hitting it with another this evening, followed by a couple coats of clear gloss.
FuXnHQq.jpg

Dex: That thing is beautiful. Mine has a working freezer underneath, but that would otherwise be a good option.
Rekoob: The CO2 will be upright. I mocked up a very redimentary, not-to-scale plan below. It utilizes space on the right of the door that is otherwise unusable.
AqikE2g.jpg

First coat of pain went on last night! Letting that dry overnight, then hitting it with another this evening, followed by a couple coats of clear gloss.
FuXnHQq.jpg

That's not rattle can appliance epoxy, is it???

It is not. As far as I could tell, appliance stuff came in 3 colors: White, Black, and what I am going to generously call "Oatmeal".
This is outdoor spray can paint that adheres to metal/plastic/wood. I'm also going to put two coats of clear gloss protective enamel on it.

Not to hijack, but I am having a heck of a time finding any info on my fridge. I need to get a door handle but I haven't been able to even find a picture of my model let alone a handle. Any help?

I was going to say that same site as being the best I could find. I had decent luck finding mine online when I searched on the make and year of the unit. "1955 RCA Whirlpool Refrigerator" yielded more results than searches for the model. Still not much info, though.

Lando: Next you'll be telling me I don't need to refrigerate the pepper, either!

Got the exterior work completed despite the weather late last week and while I brewed a batch of Mango IIPA on Sunday. The paint job is clearly not what I would call professional grade, but I have to say that I am actually pretty darn pleased with it. The imperfections that show up in the pictures are barely perceivable in person. It was a real and true pain to get done, though.
Now all that's left to do is take it from pretty fridge to a kegerator. I'm going to get fresh lines for everything, and get it all balanced.
I am running the fridge today to make sure everything looks good with the compressor, no leaks, and it is cooling well.
B6l6PDU.jpg

Applying the blackboard
OsLkWLs.jpg

3JtfSEN.jpg

dX87etG.jpg

ZjMA1RM.jpg

Nearly finished! Poured the first beer last night, and everything seems to be on the right track. Remaining to do:
- Rehang the bottom trim, get a replacement foot and level everything out.
- Drip tray. This is tough because the door is slightly curved. Trying to decide between two 4" or one 10". Leaning towards the single, and pushing it flush under the middle band.
- Get CO2 tank mounted in door.
- Better mounts for the brackets securing the lines. The adhesive on those zip-tie mounts is terrible. Just ordered some neodymium magnets to use, since the interior of the fridge is (freaking thick) steel.
JjNDgpL.jpg

QEurU6i.jpg

qd87M6v.jpg

R4tluBo.jpg

When I finish it I'll get some pics during the day so it doesn't look like I live in a cave.

Selling my old kegerator "shell" to a coworker to set up in his basement/man cave. It's a great unit in terms of function- can fit 4 kegs, prepped for 2 taps, cools like a champ. It looks OK- there is nice blackboard paint on the doors. There are also some scratches, and a heck of a lot of random brewery/beer stickers.
I told him I'd give it to him for $75, and price him out a good setup of internal parts to get it up and running. This seem fair? Even said I'd com install the internals when they came in, just because I like that kind of thing.

Other note- finished pics of the new (old) guy once it settles in to its new home.

Selling my old kegerator "shell" to a coworker to set up in his basement/man cave. It's a great unit in terms of function- can fit 4 kegs, prepped for 2 taps, cools like a champ. It looks OK- there is nice blackboard paint on the doors. There are also some scratches, and a heck of a lot of random brewery/beer stickers.

I told him I'd give it to him for $75, and price him out a good setup of internal parts to get it up and running. This seem fair? Even said I'd com install the internals when they came in, just because I like that kind of thing.

Other note- finished pics of the new (old) guy once it settles in to its new home.

Sounds like only a so-so deal to me (scratched up old fridges are usually pretty cheap and sometimes even free on Craigslist) except that you're offering to find all the faucets/shanks/beer line/CO2 for him and get it all set up. If he's never done a kegerator before and doesn't want to spend all the time getting up to speed there's definitely value there. So with your time and labor I'd say $76 is plenty fair!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Don't forget to post pics of the inside once you've got your permanent CO2 retention system in place!

Don't forget to post pics of the inside once you've got your permanent CO2 retention system in place!

Haven't forgotten your request, just waiting to get my tank swapped. Here is a terrible picture of the final internal look. It is held by a fire extinguisher mount. It was the perfect size to grab the top squared off section, and I added a larger worm clamp. I'll get a pic without the tank tonight.
3d7Xaro.jpg

Heh... NC is a bit of a haul for me. OTOH, if I had a photo shoot up there with some lovely younger ladies, I might consider offering a helping hand. :D

If you want to haul this beast out and paint it, that could probably be arranged...

Back