"vintage" cappers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spinout

Reaction score
i just bottled my first batch and my red-wing capper didn't do the greatest job on the little stubby bottles due to the lip on the neck. i did a search on here and people have said that their specific vintage capper works just fine, but do they all work just fine? granted, if they are siezed up w/ rust, then it's a no-go, but in general, do any/all of the old cappers work? i plan on hitting a few auctions/garage sales/antique shops and if i can find one cheap it's coming home w/ me if the consensus on here is that any of them should work.
thanks

Just watch E-Bay. Every now and then a bargain will pop up.

I managed to get a set of 4 different vintage cappers for $19 plus shipping. They are all on decent shape and just needed cleaning up.

Hey Parrot, I use the same type of capper and it left a depression. I recently machined the bump out of the inside of the bell and it no longer does that. I did it in a lathe, but you could probably use something like a Dremel.

But to be honest, I never had any trouble with the bottles capped with the depression. It just didn't look "right".

Before and after . . .

Capper_02.jpg

I use one from the late 80's and it works great! A coworker gave it to me years ago, and I love it. It looks like it's galvanized. Zero rust/seize issues.

well heck, the wife picked one up today for a whopping $8. not a giant cast iron model, slightly smaller,lighter,thinner....but i gave it a try and it works. it's an old eveready(?) model. chromed and a bit rusty, but it works.....and i got it the same day i started shopping for one....and it was less than $10. turned out to be a pretty good day.

i used an old wing capper until it put hairline cracks into 1/4 of the bottles I used for a friends wedding beer - yup, all flat. Tossed that crapper in the garbage and bought a $20 stand capper. Well worth the little investment to not be squeezing the bottles between metal edges.

i finally got to try out the new-to-me capper. works great.
the small stubby bottles need something to sit on, otherwise the capper won't come down far enough....i use a scrap 1" board. and it's tall enough for the bombers, just can't have the board in there.
it's much nicer using this style (in my opinion), i don't feel like i'm going to break something w/ pressure......and i just like really old stuff that still works!

I had a hand capper recently given to me as well (usually use a stand capper). It leaves the dimple in the middle of the cap which I actually found pleasing to the eye, different and interesting. I guess its a matter of perspective.

After my red baron capper gave out,I got the Super Agata bench capper. It adjusts through a spring with the handle to different heights. The easy height adjustment is nice compared to the old school ones. I got rid of my stubbies,though. They don't fir in 12 pack boxes made for pony bottles very well.

Back