Vienna Rye Abbey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBroBrews

Reaction score
Feedback is appreciated. Looking to create a full chewy bodied beer using Vienna malt as the base malt with a distinctive abbey ale characteristic.

I have the following recipe planned but would like experts feedback and advise on improvements. Recipe for a 20L batch

6.6lb Vienna Malt, 2.2lb Dark Crystal, 2.2lb Rye, 0.15lb Home Juniper branch smoked Malt. 1.1lb Coriander and blood orange infused Golden Candi Syrup. 0.11lb Hallertauer@ 60min, 0.11lb saaz @ 0min, 0.22lb cracked Grains of paradise @ 0min. Abbey Ale Yeast

I haven't made this yet but just a concept I am toying with at this stage, so any suggestions is greatly appreciated. I an fully open for suggestions on the mash temps/schedule and fermentation temps too.

Cheers and Beers all. :mug:

.22lb of Grains of paradise? Like 4 oz? thats a huge amount. Id use like 5-8g for a 20L batch. Have you done that before/are you sure?

You say chewy, so this may not be what you want; but i find belgian styles are better on the dry side. I dont know you efficiency (I assume this beer will come out around 1.065OG) but i might replace some to all of the dark crystal with vienna, or dark candi syrup, and mash around 148. Id keep it on the low end of the fermentation range for the first few days, Around 64-65F, then let it rise, theres alot going on in the beer, i wouldnt want the belgian yeast character to be too strong.

Hi thanks for your reply.

Typo on the grains of paradise. 22grams.

I want to try create an old school Nordic style I had once from a farmhouse. Which used Vienna, rye and home smoked malt, house culture of yeast but from a dubbel abbey ale.

It had a full chewy body, golden hue, slight bready pepper notes, distinctive coriander candi sweetness. That's all I can remember, What would be an ideal grain bill for this that uses the above grain in varying quantities?

Ah, if you want to make a norwegian farmhouse id use like 50-60% vienna, 35% rye and 5-15 % smoked malt (or less depending on how strong your smoked malt is.)

Id mash at 160, and the sugar as fermentation slows.

Theres alot of info on norwegian farmhouse ales at this blog: http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/

Back