Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH Hop Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbach72

Reaction score
Thank you to those of you that contributed to my thread "First BIAB=Failure. " Later today, I am going to apply some of the suggestions I received in that thread and see if I can improve on my terrible, low 50's efficiency.

I decided to keep it simple and go with a Vienna/Northerm Brewer SMaSH after seeing a lot of favorable comments on it. I've never used NB before, and I dont really know what character to expect from it. I haven't even had a Cali Common in about 10 years.

I'm not really looking to go really hoppy on this . Perhaps a little more subtle. My OG is hopefully going to be around 1.047, so I'm thinking in the 35-45 IBU range.

I'd like to hear what IBU ranges and/or hop addions some of you have used successfully with this combo.

I just did a Amarillo Maris otter smash. Hops were as follows. 1.5 at 60. .5 at 45. .5 at 30. .5 at 15. Dry hopping with 1 for 7 days and then bottleing (starting dry hop tomorrow). It is my first smash and I wanted to be scientific about it just to see what the results will be

I made a BIAB SMaSH today, Maris Otter/Cascade. I was careful with the hop additions, fearing low efficiency might make too bitter a beer. The opposite happened, efficiency was higher (82%!) than expected (60%). So My beer will be maltier than expected, and stronger. I crushed my grain finer than standard. And after pulling the bag from the wort, I put it in a colander over a pot, sparged it with hot water, squeezed it by placing a plate on top and leaning on it.

Back