SMaSH to work on brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
Ok, got my new Klarstien after waffling on every factor ever.

Works great except my efficiency was crap. After 9lbs of base malt ended up with a 1.031 measured on refractometer. I was drunk when I did this as my bud came for a brew so I’m sure I made a few mistakes…. But for my next brew I’m planning on not drinking until I’m done, and brewing a SMaSH to kind of dial things in.

So I’ll be pitching this onto a lollemond London yeast. Looking for what a good combo is for malt and hops to go with this yeast? And that is easy to work with so I can find out where I went wrong and really dial in my brewing abilities.

Strangely enough I’m actually becoming a little intrigued by SMaSH brewing. A lot of projects I’d like to work on with it. Including how much I can change the flavor of a SMaSH with same ingredients but different mash temps. Maillard decoctions. Altering the hops schedule. And I’m a cheap skate like it would be super cool to see how much I can get out of the cheapest grain and the cheapest hops and cheapest yeast. Then take that knowledge and apply it to more traditional ales and lagers.

Take a look at some historical recipes (19th century) and you'll see how traditional a SMaSH is.

Cheapest ingredients may not give satisfactory results. When you strip things down to basics, the quality of the ingredients shine through.

Take a look at some historical recipes (19th century) and you'll see how traditional a SMaSH is.

Cheapest ingredients may not give satisfactory results. When you strip things down to basics, the quality of the ingredients shine through.
Ok rephrase. See how cheap I can get a high quality craft beer. I’ve often prided myself in other styles of cooking just how great I can make something for how little. I do understand about quality ingredients though. Just a couple extra dollars for decent butcher meat can make a huge difference from Walmart meat.

I'm a big fan of SMaSH brewing to really understand the ingredients you use, particularly hops, and how they play with each other.
LalBrew London is pretty neutral as a yeast, but can have some fruity esters if you push the temp up to the higher end of its range. I'd be inclined to do something like an English-style IPA of middling ABV (targeting about 5%) with Maris Otter and maybe something like First Gold hops.

Back