Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huuuh? I like getting dead on games. Never heard of Darklands..

Old school open-world RPG from the early '90s. Surprised my graphics card can handle this much awesome, even 24 years later.

2214350-564659_45731_front_1_.jpg

crypt.jpg

noproblm.gif

options.jpg

82MB install size. I had to buy a new dedicated hard drive just to run it.

That's so funny though, used to have to look at specs like that on a game before deciding if our crappy Apple Macintosh could run it lol. Surprised I don't recognize that game, looks like it could've been awesome.

So, I downloaded Steam for the first time ever this weekend. It absolutely ****ed up my desktop. There are 30-40 documents/folders strewn across my desktop now. Tried to delete and uninstall. No dice. Can't get rid of some of them. If I put them all in one single folder, Steam can't find the files it needs to run. Extremely not happy about this situation.

Did you have it install on your desktop, not in a folder? Not criticizing or saying you didn't know what you were doing but it sounds like this is a user error. I have installed Steam 2 or 3 times. I have 3 or 4 friends that have been using Steam for years and each have probably installed it 3 or 4 times as well. None of us have had this issue. Not saying it can't happen, just seems very unlikely it was solely a Valve issue. I installed Steam on my HDD. It created a Steam folder under Program Files. Within that folder it created 22 subfolders and roughly 50 files. If you installed it on your desktop, it may have put those 22 folders and 50 files on your desktop and not in a folder. Then once you moved them, Steam couldn't locate the files it thought was on your desktop.

What are some of the name of the files and folders? Just to name a few, for folders I have amf, bin, logs, music, skins and for files I have gameoverlayrenderer.dll, steamclient.dll, v8.dll.

What are some of the name of the files and folders? Just to name a few, for folders I have amf, bin, logs, music, skins and for files I have gameoverlayrenderer.dll, steamclient.dll, v8.dll.

Without seeing them right this minute, I can say those are for sure the ones on my desktop I was trying to delete. That's just where they installed as I blindly clicked accept through the installation wizard as I do with everything else. Sure, my fault probably. Either way, crappy situation at the moment since I couldn't even uninstall them and redo it.

Without seeing them right this minute, I can say those are for sure the ones on my desktop I was trying to delete. That's just where they installed as I blindly clicked accept through the installation wizard as I do with everything else. Sure, my fault probably. Either way, crappy situation at the moment since I couldn't even uninstall them and redo it.

I assume you tried uninstall in control panels and it didn't work. I wonder if moving the files from your desktop into another folder screwed up the uninstall.

I'm not sure how you have user accounts and related settings (e.g. environment variables) configured on your system, but the default install location for Steam (or really any application) on a normal Windows 7/8/10 setup is definitely not on the desktop.

I assume you tried uninstall in control panels and it didn't work. I wonder if moving the files from your desktop into another folder screwed up the uninstall.

When it made the mess, first thing I tried was uninstall. Didn't work. So I tried to put them all into a folder and just forget about it. Didn't work. Uninstall. Remove program manager. All that. It's quite a finicky program to try and get rid of.

I'm not sure how you have user accounts and related settings (e.g. environment variables) configured on your system, but the default install location for Steam (or really any application) on a normal Windows 7/8/10 setup is definitely not on the desktop.

That is what I was thinking too. My default was C which is my SSD. I use that for Windows so I changed it to D which is my HDD. Now all games download to D. I would think installing on your desktop would need to be picked and not something Steam (or any program) defaults to.

When it made the mess, first thing I tried was uninstall. Didn't work. So I tried to put them all into a folder and just forget about it. Didn't work. Uninstall. Remove program manager. All that. It's quite a finicky program to try and get rid of.

So you have all the folders and files in a Steam folder now? Have you tried deleting that entire folder and reinstalling?

If you right click and open properties in one of those files that installed on your desktop, what does the path say? I wonder if you installed it in your desktop folder but there is also a Steam folder on your C drive in Program Files/Steam.

So you have all the folders and files in a Steam folder now? Have you tried deleting that entire folder and reinstalling?

I'll have to check when I get home. I tried to put everything in a folder on the desktop to clean it up. It wouldn't let me. Half went in there, the other half said they couldn't.

Also look at the exe file you used on your desktop. Is it the actual exe or a shortcut? If it is the actual exe file, that is most likely why you have all those files on your desktop. Steam program wanted to install the files it needed where the exe file was.

@TheCADJockey maybe you need a simpler computer to use. Something like this:

QQtIVdPFzeh-033_1z.jpg

All you need to do a reboot and get back to the standard screen is give'r a shake.

Completely off topic here, but what's the draw of Counter Strike? I've never played it but I see a ton of videos about it. Specifically, why would you want to play a shooter that shows the enemy's outlines through walls as they approach you. What is the fun in that?

Completely off topic here, but what's the draw of Counter Strike? I've never played it but I see a ton of videos about it. Specifically, why would you want to play a shooter that shows the enemy's outlines through walls as they approach you. What is the fun in that?

I guess you must be talking about Global Offensive, because CS and CS:Source sure don't have that.

Seeing players outlines is in spectator mode only. The draw for CS is that to this day it remains the most balanced (weapons, map design, etc) FPS on the market, and due to the graphics not requiring crazy-expensive magic pixie dust to power, it's accessible to a wide audience.

Seeing players outlines is in spectator mode only. The draw for CS is that to this day it remains the most balanced (weapons, map design, etc) FPS on the market, and due to the graphics not requiring crazy-expensive magic pixie dust to power, it's accessible to a wide audience.

This is more true than most people know. By not chasing graphics, CS:GO is easily playable on PC's in internet cafes all over the world. That doesn't sound like anything special to first-worlders, but in the developing world, including huge countries like China, the majority of gamers play at internet cafes with PC's that are always running two or three year-old midrange specs. That's a huge player market that the big annual 4A franchise reboots doesn't even touch.

All I know (knew) about CS was that you weren't good unless you constantly switched between your gun and knife really fast whenever you weren't shooting.

Put a couple hours into Grim Dawn this weekend taking 3 characters to approximately level 15 in order to scope out the classes/multiclassing. Starting to get a feel for it and forgive it's less than flashy graphics. I want to play hardcore mode, but I should probably just blast through on normal real quick to see what the game has to offer first.

Trying to figure out which classes to play for the upcoming Season 6 of Diablo 3.

I was unimpressed with DH, and Wizard is too squishy. Paladin isn't really my playstyle, but I enjoyed using one toward the end of Season 5.

Got back into ESO, still trying to convince myself it's worth it.

I actually really enjoyed ESO. As long as you don't try to compare it to the single player games, it's good. The pvp is the best I've seen since Dark Age of Camelot (incidentally what ESO PvP is based off of)

PC gamers, can you recommend a good headset with mic under $100 (looking to spend under $75 if possible).

Trying to figure out which classes to play for the upcoming Season 6 of Diablo 3.

I was unimpressed with DH, and Wizard is too squishy. Paladin isn't really my playstyle, but I enjoyed using one toward the end of Season 5.

I'm in the same boat. My buddy is rolling a Witch Doctor... I'm on the fence. Maybe a barb, maybe a monk

Got back into ESO, still trying to convince myself it's worth it.

I just re-subbed to WoW. Totally worth it.

Back