Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:
Last good CoD game I played was MW2.. they (Activision, Treyarc, Sledgehammer) refuse to update the engine the game runs on using a modified Q3 engine..

When you refuse to change the heart and brain of a game, what does it matter what skin is on it? Its still the same old game with no innovative properties or advancements..

Kinda like Apple..

My gripe with CoD is they're going to the Madden model which to me is a failure. Even FIFA for example is a big change year in and year out. Madden is just an overcompensation for a fault the year before.

I would counter your CoD with Gears of War. A game handled largely the same in terms of internal brains and everything, but is more refined with every launch, in terms of both campaign and online play.

I should probably try one of those Gears of War games eventually. Same goes for CoD, Battlefield, etc. I did play the first Call of Duty, I think...the one from years ago set in WW2 that totally ripped off Saving Private Ryan. I haven't tried another since then, although I thought that one was OK.

There's just too many games to play, and not enough time for me to play them all. I guess I could quit my job or something, but that seems like sort of an extreme measure to take just to play more games. I actually had scheduled some vacation time in a couple of months so that I would have a week or two of uninterrupted "guy" time to play video games and drink booze, but my company convinced me to let them buy out a couple weeks of my vacation time instead.

I should probably try one of those Gears of War games eventually. Same goes for CoD, Battlefield, etc. I did play the first Call of Duty, I think...the one from years ago set in WW2 that totally ripped off Saving Private Ryan. I haven't tried another since then, although I thought that one was OK.

There's just too many games to play, and not enough time for me to play them all. I guess I could quit my job or something, but that seems like sort of an extreme measure to take just to play more games.

Never really a COD fan myself. Been playing Battlefield 3 and have been enjoying it. not as much as Spec Ops: The Line or Killzone 3. Killzone is one of my favorite shooters.

Oh, I did play Spec Ops: The Line last Christmas. I enjoyed that OK. Lots of little references to Apocalypse Now. There were a couple of bits where they forced you into situations that I probably would have taken a different path, but that path wasn't offered to me. I guess they needed to do that to progress the story in the way they wanted, but it felt a bit cheap to me.

Oh, I did play Spec Ops: The Line last Christmas. I enjoyed that OK. Lots of little references to Apocalypse Now. There were a couple of bits where they forced you into situations that I probably would have taken a different path, but that path wasn't offered to me. I guess they needed to do that to progress the story in the way they wanted, but it felt a bit cheap to me.

I am about 3/4th way through on story. I got sucked into the multiplayer. It was another freebie through Plus.

What did everyone think of Dishonored?

PC - Battlefield
Console - COD

I always thought it was funny when gamers would talk about how intense 16 player COD battles were. Try 64 players on Battlefield with vehicles.

Never really a COD fan myself. Been playing Battlefield 3 and have been enjoying it. not as much as Spec Ops: The Line or Killzone 3. Killzone is one of my favorite shooters.

Nor am I. I got sucked into buying COD:MW3 based on the hype. Played through it in a weekend. I don't much care for online multiplayer gaming. And the campaign mode for that title SUCKED!

Bought into BF3 and enjoyed it up to the point that I got sucked into Borderlands

What did everyone think of Dishonored?

I enjoyed it. Love the steampunk stylings and the premise of the game but it was not challenging enough, IMO.

Nor am I. I got sucked into buying COD:MW3 based on the hype. Played through it in a weekend. I don't much care for online multiplayer gaming. And the campaign mode for that title SUCKED!

Bought into BF3 and enjoyed it up to the point that I got sucked into Borderlands

I enjoyed it. Love the steampunk stylings and the premise of the game but it was not challenging enough, IMO.

I agree on all premises. Never got to into Borderlands though. I think it was because I only had it through a friend and never got to sit down and play through the whole thing.

I'm playing through Borderlands 2 for the first time. The game with the season pass was a great price during Steam's summer sale.

I just started playing this a month ago with 3 'real life' friends (PS3), we love it, the writing is outstanding and funny.

This is my last PS3 game, PS4 will recieve all my moneys going forward.

PC only and nothing MMO, strictly single player options (I know it limits things):
Civ V
Starcraft II
Command and Conquer - all except C&C 4, which I believe absolutely sucked.

Just had a brilliant thought. I am at work and bored so I have the time right now. What I would like to find is MMO version of the war games where you legitimately fight out a war risk style. You know, start out with a sandboxed planet, have people choose their 'race' or 'country' and then have multiple battles on multiple fronts where some people can be generals, others can be grunts, others can be other ranks (you work your way up through achievements maybe?) and have campaigns where you attempt to get your country to take over the entire world. If a country dies out and loses all its lands, maybe the players can be 'reborn' into splinter cells where they try to reclaim their countries and build territories back up.

I am thinking too deeply into this and know the logistics of the game would be freaking difficult to build. Not to mention the complexity and dealing with logons/logoffs and getting people to cooperate. Maybe I need to get out my old dusty software engineering hat from college, dust it off, and see if I can draw up a requirements document for it.

Dark Souls.

The constant sense of imminent doom and a atmosphere of dread has never been done better. IMHO its the best game of the last 5 or even 10 years. A masterpiece. Forget next gen consoles, Dark Souls 2 early next year is what I am longing for.

I just started playing this a month ago with 3 'real life' friends (PS3), we love it, the writing is outstanding and funny.

This is my last PS3 game, PS4 will recieve all my moneys going forward.

If you ever need someone to fill in for someone, send me a FR, I play borderlands 2 all the time

Psn - DrNecropolis

I've been playing Far Cry 3 lately. The story is crap, but the sandbox design lets you pull off some pretty badass stuff vs. a really linear FPS like COD.

Killing a charging tiger with a bow?
Flying a hang glider over an enemy outpost, then dropping off onto a guard and stabbing him in the neck?
Stealth-killing a guy, then pulling the pin on the grenade on his belt and kicking his body into a group of still-unaware henchmen?

Yes please. :rockin:

Just had a brilliant thought. I am at work and bored so I have the time right now. What I would like to find is MMO version of the war games where you legitimately fight out a war risk style. You know, start out with a sandboxed planet, have people choose their 'race' or 'country' and then have multiple battles on multiple fronts where some people can be generals, others can be grunts, others can be other ranks (you work your way up through achievements maybe?) and have campaigns where you attempt to get your country to take over the entire world. If a country dies out and loses all its lands, maybe the players can be 'reborn' into splinter cells where they try to reclaim their countries and build territories back up.

I am thinking too deeply into this and know the logistics of the game would be freaking difficult to build. Not to mention the complexity and dealing with logons/logoffs and getting people to cooperate. Maybe I need to get out my old dusty software engineering hat from college, dust it off, and see if I can draw up a requirements document for it.

Make the setting the Fallout universe (or one like it) with a detailed world that can be explored on foot and you would have my perfect game. The RTS and City building options would only appear for those in position of power. Everyone else would explore the world on foot trying to climb the latter. Players would have to take jobs and promotions from other players or be exterminated by hit squads if they do not comply. All items are custom created like Borderlands and Diablo. Players can develop skills and jobs like weapon design and trading that drive the economy and technology of the nation. All players will have a limited life and cannot be revived when they expire. Death would be permanent; so there would need a way to create "heirs" for the player to play once they die.

I image it would take a marriage of Paradox and Bethesda to pull this off. They would also need the server stability of Xbox live or Blizzard (on a good day). I would also like to see it work on multiple platforms seamlessly so I could play on my xbox/playstation in my living room while doing grunt work and once I retire from adventuring I can run a shop or city from my PC using the same character in the same world.

Make the setting the Fallout universe (or one like it) with a detailed world that can be explored on foot and you would have my perfect game. The RTS and City building options would only appear for those in position of power. Everyone else would explore the world on foot trying to climb the latter. Players would have to take jobs and promotions from other players or be exterminated by hit squads if they do not comply. All items are custom created like Borderlands and Diablo. Players can develop skills and jobs like weapon design and trading that drive the economy and technology of the nation. All players will have a limited life and cannot be revived when they expire. Death would be permanent; so there would need a way to create "heirs" for the player to play once they die.

I image it would take a marriage of Paradox and Bethesda to pull this off. They would also need the server stability of Xbox live or Blizzard (on a good day). I would also like to see it work on multiple platforms seamlessly so I could play on my xbox/playstation in my living room while doing grunt work and once I retire from adventuring I can run a shop or city from my PC using the same character in the same world.

Frankly, I am surprised we haven't seen some sort of privatized cross platform cloud gaming service. You log in with whatever device you have and play. Online gaming become this massive comnglomeration of PC, PS, Xbox and (insert platform here) all mixed in toghether.

Frankly, I am surprised we haven't seen some sort of privatized cross platform cloud gaming service. You log in with whatever device you have and play. Online gaming become this massive comnglomeration of PC, PS, Xbox and (insert platform here) all mixed in toghether.

Actually.. Unreal Tournament 3 allowed ps3 players and PC players to play together..

Microslut expected a bunch of freebies for them to allow Ecks Bocks, Midway told them to pound sand..

Microsoft is in the best position to experiment with this since both the Xbox and 90% of PCs are Windows based; but they are the biggest opposition to cross platform play.

I bet less Xbox consoles would be sold; if I could log into Xbox live from my PC I would never buy another Xbox game.

Microsoft is in the best position to experiment with this since both the Xbox and 90% of PCs are Windows based but they are the biggest opposition to cross platform play.

I bet less Xbox consoles would be sold; if I could log into Xbox live from my PC I would never buy another Xbox game.

IIUC, this is the model of the new generation of MSL. They tought being able to do just this with MS devices. I recall them advertising being able to "check in" on a sim game from your windows phone, or something like that.

And, furthermore, I beleive that MS plans to make cloud based gaming their standard.

All of the interconnected devices will lead to a "dumbing-down" in gaming IMO. You will still have blockbuster games that look great and don't offer anything for your portable device. Then you'll have stripped down sequels to old favorites where you can view your health and ammo on your droid...

The upgrades for MS and Sony are even less exciting than the WiiU, and I thought that would be impossible.

Unfortunately, every time a media company decides to widen its audience the results lead to "dumbing-down" of its current media. Video games are not immune to this.

Elder Scrolls Online will release cross platform across all next gen systems but the servers will still be platform specific.
I can see Microsoft not wanting to play with Sony or Mac; but I don't understand why they wouldn't want to unite with Windows based PCs.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...ext-gen-cross-platform-play-just-a-nightmare/

I cannot speak specifically about Elder Scrolls, but I think cross-platform multiplayer FPS gaming is unfair to the people using the consoles. I don't care how good you are with a controller, you're simply not going to beat a skilled person playing with a mouse + keyboard unless they gimp the system in your favor.

Thats what I am saying.

Elder Scrolls Online will release cross platform across all next gen systems but the servers will still be platform specific.
I can see Microsoft not wanting to play with Sony or Mac; but I don't understand why they wouldn't want to unite with Windows based PCs.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...ext-gen-cross-platform-play-just-a-nightmare/

Been helping stress test it. Im not hige into MMO's but it is rather solid so far. Now I can't say anymore due to the NDA.

I think being forced to pay for PSN to play COD multiplayer on PS4 is like being forced to rent a $500 machine you already paid for. Will be looking to setup the htpc for gaming.

I cannot speak specifically about Elder Scrolls, but I think cross-platform multiplayer FPS gaming is unfair to the people using the consoles. I don't care how good you are with a controller, you're simply not going to beat a skilled person playing with a mouse + keyboard unless they gimp the system in your favor.

This is exactly it. The few experiments there have been had to handicap the PC players or give auto-aim-like advantages to console players.

I used to play Counter-Strike professionally and especially at that level, but by no means limited to it... you simply can't match the precision and control of a mouse (which can move freely at whatever speed and acceleration/deceleration that your hand can move) with the analog stick of a controller, which can merely be pushed in a direction until your crosshair eventually gets to where you want it, at which point you can re-center it (assuming you didn't under- or over-shoot, which again is much easier to correct for with a mouse).

But I don't mind the idea of cross-platform shooters that excludes the PC, or forces the use of a gamepad on the PC (though I honestly wouldn't waste my time on that). Shooters are really best played on a PC with a mouse and keyboard anyways, so I suppose I wouldn't mind a completely cross-platform shooter as long as a) the gamers who insist on playing on consoles just accept the inherent disadvantage, and b) random matchups on public servers attempt to somewhat balance the teams in terms of the ratio of players using each control scheme... being able to play with the superior M+K combo wouldn't mean a whole lot if you could just end up getting stuck on a team with all the disadvantaged players.

This is exactly it. The few experiments there have been had to handicap the PC players or give auto-aim-like advantages to console players.

I used to play Counter-Strike professionally and especially at that level, but by no means limited to it... you simply can't match the precision and control of a mouse (which can move freely at whatever speed and acceleration/deceleration that your hand can move) with the analog stick of a controller, which can merely be pushed in a direction until your crosshair eventually gets to where you want it, at which point you can re-center it (assuming you didn't under- or over-shoot, which again is much easier to correct for with a mouse).

But I don't mind the idea of cross-platform shooters that excludes the PC, or forces the use of a gamepad on the PC (though I honestly wouldn't waste my time on that). Shooters are really best played on a PC with a mouse and keyboard anyways, so I suppose I wouldn't mind a completely cross-platform shooter as long as a) the gamers who insist on playing on consoles just accept the inherent disadvantage, and b) random matchups on public servers attempt to somewhat balance the teams in terms of the ratio of players using each control scheme... being able to play with the superior M+K combo wouldn't mean a whole lot if you could just end up getting stuck on a team with all the disadvantaged players.

True, but isnt that the reason consoles like the PS2 (the last console I bought and only one I can confirm) included USB slots so keyboards or something similar can be plugged in? I just do not think they ever utilized them for anything. then again I never really followed any game system that well to even know what was coming out next.

True, but isnt that the reason consoles like the PS2 (the last console I bought and only one I can confirm) included USB slots so keyboards or something similar can be plugged in? I just do not think they ever utilized them for anything. then again I never really followed any game system that well to even know what was coming out next.

Technically yes, but the ergonomics of hunching over a mouse and keyboard down low on a coffee table or whatever (and even viewing a TV across a room) also creates a distinct disadvantage. You'd basically have to set up your console, input devices, and display at a desk or otherwise pretty much exactly like you'd set up a PC anyways.

So it's not strictly impossible, but how many consoles are actually going to be set up in that manner? Heck, if I was going to do that, I might as well just play on my PC which is, naturally, already set up exactly like a PC would be (not to mention the numerous other advantages)!

Don't get me wrong. While I'm first and foremost a PC gamer, I own all 4 of the most recent consoles and am not trying to disparage console gaming. I'm just pointing out the unbalanced nature of cross-platform play (with shooters and RTS games, primarily) when PC gamers are able to compete alongside console gamers.

Technically yes, but the ergonomics of using a mouse and keyboard down low on a coffee table or whatever (and even a TV across the room) also creates a distinct disadvantage. You'd basically have to set up your console, input devices, and display at a desk or otherwise pretty much exactly like you'd set up a PC anyways.

So it's not strictly impossible, but how many consoles are actually going set up in that manner? Heck, if I was going to do that, I'd no longer even see any reason to play on a console anyways...

Except that XBox is pimping the Kinect to eliminate all that BS. The new and improved hardware is supposed to eliminate the lag the gen 1 Kinect had.

Furthermore, it is easily ported for PC thus "leveling the playing field".

Only leaves Sony to come up with a solution.

I think being forced to pay for PSN to play COD multiplayer on PS4 is like being forced to rent a $500 machine you already paid for. Will be looking to setup the htpc for gaming.

explain...? curious for your opinion on this

Unfortunately, every time a media company decides to widen its audience the results lead to "dumbing-down" of its current media. Video games are not immune to this.

They aren't widening the audience though. TONS of people old and young saw the wii and said that is awesome, I must have it. Very few people saw the wiiU and reacted the same way. And the console jumps for MS and Sony seem needless. The graphics engines are the only big change. Most people that are picky about those graphics play on PCs with custom specs anyway.

Nintendo turned the gaming industry into a mockery by saying peripherals are more important than quality games and the others went chasing it down the rabbit hole.

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in.... Best game I found this summer was "State of Decay" who doesn't like mowing down zombies with their car door?

explain...? curious for your opinion on this

I bought a launch ps3. And in 7 years the only thing I've used it for has been COD multiplayer. If I had to pay monthly $15 fee for PSN network access that $600 console would have become a $2000 console.

I am under the impression that with a PC I could simply find a game server to log into to play COD multiplayer without a monthly fee.

I am specifically talking about Sony's decision to make Playstation Plus mandatory for multiplayer.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...ion-plus-subscription-for-online-multiplayer/

An article on Forbes this morning says Sony stands to make 1.2 billion profit from this move.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...rate-1-2b-for-sony-annually/?partner=yahootix

I'd rather my money went to the actual game developer and not the hardware manufacturer.

grathan said:
I bought a launch ps3. And in 7 years the only thing I've used it for has been COD multiplayer. If I had to pay monthly $15 fee for PSN network access that $600 console would have become a $2000 console. I'd rather the money went to the actual game developer.

I am under the impression that with a PC I could simply find a game server to log into to play COD multiplayer without a monthly fee.

I am specifically talking about Sony's decision to make Playstation Plus mandatory for multiplayer.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/ps4-owners-will-need-playstation-plus-subscription-for-online-multiplayer/

Don't take this the wrong way but you bought a 600 dollar system for one game? I don't really care but the online as a whole was ok. Good for free but no where near what live had. This fee which is cheaper than live will enhance every aspect of what we had for free. I guess if you play only one game for the play station then I guess it doesn't really matter what I just said lol. Carry on

Don't take this the wrong way but you bought a 600 dollar system for one game? I don't really care but the online as a whole was ok. Good for free but no where near what live had. This fee which is cheaper than live will enhance every aspect of what we had for free. I guess if you play only one game for the play station then I guess it doesn't really matter what I just said lol. Carry on

I actually bought an xbox just to compare live. It wasn't much better. The game compensates for lag. For example, I once spent 2 months playing tethered through my cell phone's 3g internet and it didn't affect my ability to mow down people in this game. Now if they create the new game which doesn't favor people who lag because of this money being spent to upgrade servers then that is another thing altogether.

Back