Victory Sour Monkey. I NEED TO CLONE THIS!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdawg86

Reaction score
As the title states. Victory Sour Monkey is an incredible beer. Just discovered it and want to figure out how to clone it. I can find Golden Monkey recipes, but not sour monkey. It seems to be a mixed fermentation and while it appears to have brett, it tastes like lacto is involved too. I am not sure how to attempt this. To keep true to a belgian, it would seem that one would need to primary with a belgian yeast, then possibly secondary with Wyeast Roeselare blend or similar? The only problem I see is belgian yeasts ferment dry, so I don't know what sugars would then be available to the Roeselare? Co-pitch? Kettle sour? I really don't know but man this beer is good.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Start with the grain bill and yeast for golden monkey (Belgian tripel).
Brew it with no hops.
Add L plantarum on day 2-3 of fermentation.
Dry hop with a small amount of your favorite noble hop after it reaches an adequate sourness (a few days after pitching the Lacto).
Package when it reaches final gravity, around 48 hours after dry hopping.

I don't taste Brett in this beer and their description doesn't lead me to believe Brett is utilized.
Edit: it does say Brett on the can. I'd still recommended the above process. 9.5% ABV is above where most Brett strains are comfortable.

Last edited:
I don't taste brett in it either... But their website does say it's a sour brett tripel.

Do as RPh_Guy says. If you decide to use brett is shoot for a lower OG than the clone recipes because of the added attenuation.

Their website says all pilsner malt and Tettnang hops.

If you are going to reverse engineer a beer, take a look at the brewery it comes from.
Victory brewing was established in 1996, has a 50 bbl brew house and is distributed in 30+ states plus some export business.
With that kind of production and distribution they are probably using plantarum in a tank for a few days and then returning the wort to the kettle to be boiled?
My thinking is that would be a safer way for them to achieve and dial in the degree of sourness with reduced risk of sour strains escaping into their other beers.

Here's some hints from their website:
SOUR MONKEY
SOUR BRETT TRIPEL
TASTEFULLY TART MYSTICAL FLAVORS

Tastefully tart is how our monkeys describe their sour sibling. Born from the same imported malts, Belgian yeast, and a mix of magical spices, this monkey decided to take a walk on the tangy side. With a swirling citrusy, lemon bit and a delectable essence, you better pucker up and respect this monkey.

TASTING NOTES
Fruity notes from imported Belgian yeast swirl through a precise souring. Pucker up to a bite of citrus laden tang ending with a delectable experience.

Below comes from another website, but it looks like it comes from the company.
Description
This electrifying transformation of our famed Golden Monkey may just blow your mind. Tastefully twisted to offer nuances of sweet fruit and a sharp tang of tartness, this exhilarating combination of flavors makes this brew a Monkey all its own. Respect the Monkey and Taste Victor

So the hints I've found include Belgian yeast, imported malts, spices, citrus, lemon, precise souring, nuances of sweet fruit and a sharp tang of tartness.

Back