Vic Secret hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-adjunct-hippie

aspiring brewgenius
Reaction score
So I've heard this varietal is like a Galaxy-lite. Granted, Galaxy isn't an end-all-be-all, but it is a phenomenal hop and is somewhat hard to find. Can you just use more Vic Secret hops to get a Galaxy-like profile? Or is it truly a different hop?

Thanks!

They have a white wine flavor, almost like a Chardonnay or something. Hard to describe. I would say they aren't all that similar to Galaxy.

I have just used 50% Vic Secret ( crop 2017 ) and 50% Amarillo ( crop 2017 ) in an 6.7% IPA and aroma and flavour are strong orange like citrus, grapefruit juice, grapefruit rind, some sweet citrus lingering at the end. This was just bottled 6 days ago, so I assume it needs a bit more time to develop, but overall, my best guess is that is more citrus forward and less tropical.

I got these hops by mistake when I placed an order with YVH for some galaxy. Ive thought about doing a SMaSH beer with them to see what they are like. Would you use 2 row or Marris Otter for the base malt?

I would go with 2-row/Pale Ale malt/Pilsner/Golden Promise. I think Maris Otter can get too " toasty/biscuitty ", but it's not really an issue if you like that flavour with lots of hops.

2-row will probably be the better choice and will interfere less than MO.

Back