Very stupid mashing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
I just picked up a 55 liter brew kettle dirt cheap from a guy leaving Korea and selling off his brewing kit. I've only done BIAB mashing and my grain bag is just not going to cut it for a pot that big so until I get my hands on a bigger one I'm wondering what would be the best way to use it as a mash tun until I can get my hands on a bigger bag. Some ideas I've thought up:
1. Buy a big-ass laundry bag and use that for BIAB. Problem: how much weight can thee things take before ripping?
2. Just dump the grains into the hot water and pour the sweet wort out the spigot. Problem: no false bottom or screen or anything, won't the spigot get clogged up with debris?
3. Same as two but to prevent clogging up the spigot, use my BIAB as a strainer to separate out the grains from the sweet wort and then pour the sweet wort back in and boil. Problem: sounds cumbersome/messy.
4. Just tie off the top of my BIAB bag (and maybe my old grain steeping bag as well) and float them in the wort. Problem: won't that kill my efficiency?
5. Do a partial mash. Problem: DME is ****ing expensive in Korea.
6. Wait until I order a bigger BIAB bag from the states. Problem: but I want to make beer NOW.

Which seems like the least stupid option? Or is there something else I'm forgetting?

We use "voile curtains" here (Walmart). It's a very fine woven semi transparent polyester. A bit finer and thicker than paint strainer bags. It's super strong.

Now for any volume above 5-10 gallons you'll need to mount a hoist to get it out of the kettle.

We use "voile curtains" here (Walmart). It's a very fine woven semi transparent polyester. A bit finer and thicker than paint strainer bags. It's super strong.

Now for any volume above 5-10 gallons you'll need to mount a hoist to get it out of the kettle.

Hmmmm, they have those in Korea. About $30 though but that includes the rod. I've manhandled whatever 5 kilos of dry grain weighs wet, think I could handle a bit more than that, would be very annoying but doable...

No. 2; yes it will cause a stuck mash. I thought I could get away without a mesh filter/false bottom type setup on my mash tun and sure enough I opened the valve and it started good but quickly came to a grinding halt.

There are a few thing you could do, but you are going to have to work at it.
1. Several smaller bags in the large kettle, open and stir each bag well during the mash.
2. Fix a stainless braid in your kettle, lauter to a couple buckets, clean out your kettle and return wort to kettle.

3. Mash in your kettle, scoop out mash and wort with a one gallon plastic pitcher and pour through one of your smaller bags to filter. Collect wort in buckets and return to kettle once empty.

2. Order a proper bag and wait j/k :)

Always a work around if you don't mind the extra effort.

Back