VERY late sugar addition - should I even bother

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyG

Reaction score
So.... stupid mistake.

Long story short, forgot to add 1 lbs of sugar to a 8 gallons Saison recipe (Dupont strain - Wyeast 3724).

Its now like 8 days later and bam, realization kicks in.

Two questions:
1) This strain sometimes stalls at 1.030 for a week or two and I haven't yet checked (have to get more sanitizer tomorrow before I take a sample).... It if is still stalling, is there any reason NOT to add the sugar tomorrow (assuming I boil and make sure its all sanitary) and letting the yeast finish the job.

2) If its completed it fermentation, should I add it too? Would pumping up the temp a bit and shaking up the yeast be a good idea. (I'm pretty sure this strain of yeast can handle the little extra temp seeing as I normally ferment it up in the 80s)

Any thoughts? Ideas?

I think you're fine adding sugar, although I would boil it in some water to sanitize and add it to the beer hot. This will warm up the beer a bit and hopefully wake up the saison yeast if it has stalled. The trick to restarting stalled saison yeast is heat (lots of it- 90F would be fine) and a bit of a shake-up.

Back