Very Heady Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sionolann3

Reaction score
Ok. So 3 weeks ago I started a dunkelweizen, and following the directions I had it the primary fermenter for 4 days, and the secondary for 5 days, after that I bottled it. It has been bottled for a week, and then put in the fridge for another.
It is very heady, like 3 inches of head when I've poured out half of it, and strong. Kind of a burnt bread flavor, with a doughy aftertaste, maybe yeasty? What would you guys suggest is up?

Is that normal for a dunkelweizen? Did I not let it ferment for long enough? the final gravity had reached the levels I was looking for when I bottled. I think the Final gravity was 1.015 or something like that, I don't have the exact papers with me.

The beer is still green. Three weeks at 70 degrees is the baseline for most normal gravity beers. Cool that you have carbonation, but undercarbed beers can actually be overfrothy or gushers - all of the CO2 hasn't dissolved into solution yet.

I finally identified the flavor after posting this, and its almost like bubblegum. I will put out a few bottles at 70 degrees, because I am nervous that they may explode, and see after a week. Is the sweet flavor the uneaten priming sugars?

+1 to the above, it just needs time so give it some.

Part of the problem is the beer was moved around a little too early IMO. A week in primary and 10 days secondary or better yet, 14 days primary, then bottle would have been more ideal. It is totally possible that the beer needed a little more time fermenting than you gave it and that's why you have some of the flavors your getting, just give it some time to finish and mellow:)

Latest posts

Back