VERY DRY ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdog69

Reaction score
Hi all,

As noted on my other: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/need-some-expertise-is-my-beer-alcoholic.661280/

I had a bit of trouble getting through the brewing process but ultimately yadda yadda yadda we fermented and bottled.

Now its been 1 week and i wanted to do a tester to see the carb level etc. It carbed up great and has a very fruity and good smell but the taste is VERY dry.

Any tips on how to prevent this? Why this arises? I am obviously leaving them in bottles at least another week or two at 65-70*F i just wanted a tester---will that improve flavor? What can be done mid brew or after (or even now?) to perhaps increase flavor and decrease dryness?

Thanks all! but ultimately, a success for beer number one. its acceptable! hooray!

The other thread says that you mashed at 150. Try mashing at 154-156. This should make the been less dry. Lower mash temps make the sugars easier for the yeast to eat. Higher mash temps make the sugars more difficult. Higher mash temp will also give you more body.

Tip #1: Don't drop your hydrometer!

Joking a little, but honestly without a gravity reading it is very hard to say what this beer should be like. If your OG was 1.020, then you would expect the beer to be thin and dry. I think there were some tips on the other thread about way to determine your ABV and/or OG...not sure if that requires a Refractometer (which is a handy device for all grain and can be purchased for $20).

I like my IPA's dry. Often mash at 149. As stated above, bump up your mash temp to add some body.

Back