[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
/embarrassed

I even have a "lmgtfy" sticker on my laptop!

Downloaded and forked! Thanks again!

May I suggest a new thread for the fork. It seems like there is quite a few modifications and improvements discussed in this thread that can be integrated. Plus the updated documentation will be a godsend to those of us joining the party late.

I posted this in the [Initial Release] folder, didn't realize there is a seperate thread for 2.0 which I have installed.

My issue is I can't get chromium to run at launch and I can't get the screensaver blanking to turn off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here is my LXDE-pi file, it appears it is never getting executed during bootup.

image1.jpg

Thanks. Do you think it's possible that the autostart is never running for some odd reason? The screen blanking is not getting turned off which I find odd, even if Chromium wasn't starting, it should turn off the blanking if the autostart is getting executed.

If you are using /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart (I believe you are) then I can attest that file does get run at startup, as I have my motion detector screen unblanking widget started from there, among other processes...

Cheers!

[edit] The page I linked specifically stated no joy using the desktop user startup with Chromium, hence the alternative approach...

Thanks for the help. I was able to get a workaround working. I still don't know why the commands in the autostart file don't appear to be getting executed. Here's what I did in case anyone else has this same problem:

To stop the screen blanking
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xscreensaver
Then run 'xscreensaver' and in the Display Mode tab turn off the screensaver. Simple as that.

I used this to get Chromium to start everytime:
Create a new .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart/
Note, I had to create the autostart folder also
sudo nano ~/.config/autostart/autoChromium.desktop

Then add the following:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=/usr/bin/chromium-browser --noerrdialogs --incognito --kiosk localhost
Hidden=false
Name[en_US]=AutoChromium
Name=AutoChromium
Comment=Start Chromium

This worked great and stopped screen blanking and auto runs chromium without any error dialogs and launching into incognito mode prevents the restore page question coming up.

Also, I had one further question.....is there a way to trigger a refresh into chromium? For example, if I change the name of a beer, is there a way to get it to show up without relaunching chromium?

Anything you change via a browser that affects the tap list should be immediately reflected when you go back to the tap list - whether you're using a local browser instance or a browser on a remote machine.

Could you elaborate your observations?

Cheers!

Anything you change via a browser that affects the tap list should be immediately reflected when you go back to the tap list - whether you're using a local browser instance or a browser on a remote machine.

Could you elaborate your observations?

Cheers!

I have three RP systems that do not refresh the browser on an update. I probaby could fix it but it was simple to add a refresh. I wrote about my changes on my blog page for Raspian-Jesse.

http://www.jomebrew.com/2016/10/raspberrypints-on-jesse.html (beers http://beer.jomebrew.com)

I added a meta refresh to index.php.

Code:
<!-- Header with Brewery Logo and Project Name -->
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="60">

Here is my autostart.

Code:
cat .config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
@lxpanel --profile LXDE-pi
@pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE-pi
@xscreensaver -no-splash
@point-rpi
@xset s off
@xset -dpms
@xset s noblank
@chromium-browser --incognito --kiosk localhost

Well that's weird.
Just as a sanity check (to verify what I was positive about) I used my Jessie test bed running a console Chromium instance to edit a beer description and it updated automatically. As well, blowing through a flow meter updates the pours without any intervention (which is kinda important ;)).

as far as I remember I didn't do anything out of the ordinary with Chromium on Jessie, it just works...

Cheers!

This is weird. I also don't see the changes in the browser unless I close chromium and re-open it. For example, I made a change via the admin tool to the name of the browser and it didn't show up. I had to close chromium on the pi and relaunch it and then it read the change.

I also do not observe that the output on the RPinst updates when I remotely update my tap list. Below are the steps I followed to make a little script that I run remotely on the Pi from my laptop after updating my tap list.

On the PI:
sudo apt-get install xdotool

On laptop:
download plink.exe (part of putty SSH tool) from
www.putty.org

create file F5.sh with following contents

export DISPLAY=:"0.0"
XAUTHORITY=/home/pi/.Xauthority
xdotool getactivewindow
xdotool key F5

Update tap list as desired

plink.exe [email protected] -m F5.sh where xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP of your PI:mug:

This is weird. I also don't see the changes in the browser unless I close chromium and re-open it. For example, I made a change via the admin tool to the name of the browser and it didn't show up. I had to close chromium on the pi and relaunch it and then it read the change.

Does a regular refresh work (f5)? It refreshed automatically on the monitor connected to mine. Haven't really played with rather remote stuff though.

On another note. Anyone know what changes need to be made to get the masking working with iceweasel? That's all that is left (aside from replacing the monitor that burned out) before all is complete.

Sounds to me like those that are not seeing changes reflected in the Rpints display are editing the content remotely. This is par for the course - you either need to go refresh the Chromium browser or put in a periodic refresh like mentioned above. If you edit on the Pi, yes, you'll see those edits immediately when you return to the tap list display.

Hey everyone, having trouble trying to run this on a tablet. I have made it to all the steps until this one:

"Now it's time to grab the source code. Assuming the above two steps are done, this is all you need to do:

Open a command prompt.
Change directories to the document root for Apache as installed in step 1 (for me, this was /Library/WebServer/Documents)
Type the following command1 2:
sudo git clone https://github.com/RaspberryPints/RaspberryPints"

Im not sure what the directory speak means, but when I type the command prompt sudo git clone https://github.com/RaspberryPints/RaspberryPints it downloads in terminal, but I have no idea where to find it and going to my local host brings up an error message.

Any help?

Hey everyone, having trouble trying to run this on a tablet. I have made it to all the steps until this one:

"Now it's time to grab the source code. Assuming the above two steps are done, this is all you need to do:

Open a command prompt.
Change directories to the document root for Apache as installed in step 1 (for me, this was /Library/WebServer/Documents)
Type the following command1 2:
sudo git clone https://github.com/RaspberryPints/RaspberryPints"

Im not sure what the directory speak means, but when I type the command prompt sudo git clone https://github.com/RaspberryPints/RaspberryPints it downloads in terminal, but I have no idea where to find it and going to my local host brings up an error message.

Any help?

It should download to /home/pi/downloads or something like that

New to this thread. To the developers who put this together and support it - :mug: !!! Looks like a quality and fun app. I'm planning to purchase a raspberry pi soon and plan to install this app immediately. So, one question... I browsed through the web page, and expected to find language that this was only free for home use. But I haven't found it yet. So... Can I use this in a retail taproom? Happy to pay a reasonable fee, or if free, I'll definitely make a donation. Is it that simple? Any other issues?

I finished my setup and justed wanted to say thanks to day_trippr and all the developers and comments on here. It's a great tool from a great beer community.

To the question about use, I found a few taprooms actually using Rapsberry pints directly for their display. FWIW

Seeing that the parts list on the website seems to be dated, is there an updated list of newer components?

I've read through a decent chunk of the thread but not all... yet.

Greetings! Thanks for all the work everyone has done to create this community! I'm so close (I think) to getting my setup up and running. (RPi3 with Uno3 board via USB) I don't have swissflow sensors yet (set ...numSensors = 0; and ...pulsePin[] = {})but trying to get everything setup so I can plug and play when they get here.

Following post #2183, when compiling and uploading the sketch to the Uno...I get the following errors...? I don't know a ton about programming and have read most of the posts and haven't seen anything specific to this, help!:

raspberrypints.ino: In function ‘void setup()’:
raspberrypints.ino:22:5: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘;’ token
raspberrypints.ino: At global scope:
raspberrypints.ino:24:3: error: ‘Serial’ does not name a type
raspberrypints.ino:25:3: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘for’
raspberrypints.ino:25:19: error: ‘i’ does not name a type
raspberrypints.ino:25:35: error: ‘i’ does not name a type
raspberrypints.ino:31:1: error: expected declaration before ‘}’ token

I don't own about using the uno, but if I were compiling ahead of time, I would just fill it out for however many flowmeters you are going to be installing anyways. It won't hurt it at all to be programmed for them even of you don't have them installed.

The 0 meters thing may be the culprit

Greetings! Thanks for all the work everyone has done to create this community! I'm so close (I think) to getting my setup up and running. (RPi3 with Uno3 board via USB) I don't have swissflow sensors yet (set ...numSensors = 0; and ...pulsePin[] = {})but trying to get everything setup so I can plug and play when they get here.

Following post #2183, when compiling and uploading the sketch to the Uno...I get the following errors...? I don't know a ton about programming and have read most of the posts and haven't seen anything specific to this, help!:

raspberrypints.ino: In function ‘void setup()’:
raspberrypints.ino:22:5: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘;’ token
raspberrypints.ino: At global scope:
raspberrypints.ino:24:3: error: ‘Serial’ does not name a type
raspberrypints.ino:25:3: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘for’
raspberrypints.ino:25:19: error: ‘i’ does not name a type
raspberrypints.ino:25:35: error: ‘i’ does not name a type
raspberrypints.ino:31:1: error: expected declaration before ‘}’ token

I thought I had replied to this. I suggest you start from the original code and check that it compiles without errors. That will show that your compiler is working and you have all the files you need.

Next, make your changes, step by step. Compile after every change and you'll see which one breaks the software.

Seeing that the parts list on the website seems to be dated, is there an updated list of newer components?

If you build per the raspberrypints.com instructions all the parts are the same.

That said, there are options now: on the processor side, the original R'Pints was built using an RPi Model B; since then the B+, Model 2B, and Model 3 have appeared. I've gotten R'Pints running on all but the Model 3 (that board doesn't interest me).

And on the Arduino side, the original design was predicated on the AlaMode shield for the RPi, and that still works fine. But you can also use a regular Uno R3 instead, connected via USB instead of the hardware serial port used by the AlaMode.

One benefit is the dramatically lower price for an Uno R3 board.

Lastly on the hardware side, some folks have gotten much less expensive flow meters running with a minor tweak to the software side. $10 a meter vs whatever the SF800 is going for now ($60-80?) is a compelling value proposition if it works well enough.

Finally, anyone building a new RaspberryPints setup will most likely run into changes needed to run with Raspbian Jessie and the latest Apache2.

I've read through a decent chunk of the thread but not all... yet.

Reading Is Fundamental

Cheers! ;)

I don't own about using the uno, but if I were compiling ahead of time, I would just fill it out for however many flowmeters you are going to be installing anyways. It won't hurt it at all to be programmed for them even of you don't have them installed.

Absolutely true.

The 0 meters thing may be the culprit

And a keen eye for spotting that (I blanked).

But I'm not sure that's a problem or not (never tried it).
Could be a typo, could be the editor is writing DOS format and a dos2unix is needed...

Cheers!

If you build per the raspberrypints.com instructions all the parts are the same.

That said, there are options now: on the processor side, the original R'Pints was built using an RPi Model B; since then the B+, Model 2B, and Model 3 have appeared. I've gotten R'Pints running on all but the Model 3 (that board doesn't interest me).

I will confirm that it works on the pi 3 with a few extra steps to turn the serial back on. If you check back a few pages I posted the steps that it took to get it working. The only problem I have is fixing the masking on the glasses that show the SRM of the beer in iceweasel and getting iceweasel to start in full screen mode.

Anyone figure these parts out?

I know there is a process to make it work on the 2, basically register the old repository before pulling it. I seem to recall there may be issues with doing that. And I am sorta thinking of the security aspect of such an old browser.

And on the Arduino side, the original design was predicated on the AlaMode shield for the RPi, and that still works fine. But you can also use a regular Uno R3 instead, connected via USB instead of the hardware serial port used by the AlaMode.

One benefit is the dramatically lower price for an Uno R3 board.

Lastly on the hardware side, some folks have gotten much less expensive flow meters running with a minor tweak to the software side. $10 a meter vs whatever the SF800 is going for now ($60-80?) is a compelling value proposition if it works well enough.

Finally, anyone building a new RaspberryPints setup will most likely run into changes needed to run with Raspbian Jessie and the latest Apache2.

Reading Is Fundamental

Cheers! ;)

Daytripper,

Quick tangent on something you said above. What do you mean by model 3 doesn't interest you? I'm planning to start setting up a system very soon, and just assumed I would purchase Model 3 since it's the most recent. Is your comment something personal to you, or is there a good reason not to try to set up a RaspberryPints system on a model 3?

Thanks!

It may not be for everyone, but the Model 2B has everything I need and is more power-efficient than the 3B.
I don't need the incrementally higher performance of the Model 3B vs the 2B, I don't need the on-board wifi as I prefer a wired connection, and I prefer not to be bound to whatever Bluetooth radio they use for those applications that I actually need Bluetooth.

That's about it...

Cheers!

It may not be for everyone, but the Model 2B has everything I need and is more power-efficient than the 3B.
I don't need the incrementally higher performance of the Model 3B vs the 2B, I don't need the on-board wifi as I prefer a wired connection, and I prefer not to be bound to whatever Bluetooth radio they use for those applications that I actually need Bluetooth.

That's about it...

Cheers!

OK, cool. I think I will want both wifi and bluetooth, so will probably go with the 3. As long as there is no issue with getting the software to work. Thanks!

With an RPi3B you need Raspbian Jessie, plus the latest Apache2.
Between the two there are some small changes from the installation procedure shown on the raspberrypints.com page, but nothing too challenging.

Scanning back I think drunklejon's script might be the most concise...

Cheers!

With an RPi3B you need Raspbian Jessie, plus the latest Apache2.
Between the two there are some small changes from the installation procedure shown on the raspberrypints.com page, but nothing too challenging.

Scanning back I think drunklejon's script might be the most concise...

Cheers!

Yeah, I couldn't find any directions for the 3 so wrote them out. If you have any troubles let me know and I will try and clear things up. The only problems as mentioned a couple posts up from here is the masking and getting the browser to start out full-screen. I am passively working on that (when I get bored I do some Google searching). Apparently there is another version/fork of RaspberryPints that has the masking fixed. I downloaded a copy and will look through its main page to see if it is something I can figure out.

Hi installing on RP2 and got his error when setting up the website portion Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysqli_connect() in /var/www/html/install/includes/configprocessor.php on line 52

Hi installing on RP2 and got his error when setting up the website portion Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysqli_connect() in /var/www/html/install/includes/configprocessor.php on line 52

The php5-mysql package should include that function, make sure you got that one. I ran into the same error when installing on ubuntu 16.04 but that was because i had php7 setup by default.

I just got it setup on a pi zero with no problems. I like the form factor for my purpose. I should be able to just tape it to the back of the monitor i'm mounting to my fridge. I'll need to modify it to support 2 column mode like JonW did. I started porting the index.php over to a react js project so i'll likely use that.

Latest posts

Back