[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone use the newest version on NOOBS for their install? I noticed it takes and boots you right to the desktop and doesnt show you the advance options screen to adjust overscan when you boot for the first time. Seems like it has eliminated some of the initial steps.

I saw that when I installed the NOOBS version 1.9.1. They moved that to a drop down menu in the upper left corner and then under preferences. I like the new set up.

I could never get the settings I input from using the preferences dialog to stick. I ended up doing a
Code:
sudo raspi-config
command from the terminal and set it up the old way. Well I guess that is the old way since this is the first time I have installed it and I used the latest NOOBS download.

I have been messing around with Google Sites based on the thread about the Brewometer (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=471844) . That got my to trying to see if I could somehow push my RaspberryPints display out to a Google site. Live would be cool, or even a "static snapshot" pushed out on a timed basis.
I have not been able to figure it out and thought I would throw it out here and see if anyone had any tips?

Using NOOBS 1.9, im trying to install chromium using the sudo get-apt -y install chromium-browser command and it says the package is not available but may be part of another package. Is there another line of code that will work to install Chromium?

I have been messing around with Google Sites based on the thread about the Brewometer (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=471844) . That got my to trying to see if I could somehow push my RaspberryPints display out to a Google site. Live would be cool, or even a "static snapshot" pushed out on a timed basis.

I have not been able to figure it out and thought I would throw it out here and see if anyone had any tips?

Your pints display is already a website..|

Really???😀
I would like to make it part of another site I am building. I. Would just link to it but it would only work in my house/router. If I can get it to update to my Google site it would work anywhere without having to open any ports to forward it out side.

Really???😀
I would like to make it part of another site I am building. I. Would just link to it but it would only work in my house/router. If I can get it to update to my Google site it would work anywhere without having to open any ports to forward it out side.

Really???[emoji3]

What you desire is a dynamic dns forwarding. which is only necessary because from time to time your home up address will change. you can go to no-ip.com and and setup an account and figure out what option works best for you. if you have certain routers, you may already have a free way to forward your ip. my netgear router had this option built right in. from there you can either link to or iframe your current pints display into another page.

I can't get any other pins to work other than 8,9,10,11 I have tries everything including your script. Any suggestions?
Whew! I was still replying to the first post :D

First, I have a copy of my AVR script on my Google Drive here.

It is configured for six taps on pins 2 & 5-9 inclusive, and it will blink the AlaMode LED on digital IO pin 13 a second or so at the conclusion of a pour - which is right around when the AlaMode tries to send the python script a message.

You're welcome to pull it down and give it a try. If you don't see the LED blink you need to back up to the AlaMode wiring and sketch loading to figure out what's broken...

Cheers!

[edit/ps] Reading your list of operations I don't see anything missing, though running the browser was superfluous. Until you see the python script echoing the pour messages from the AlaMode the browser side code will be blythely unaware of anything.

I can't get any other pins to work other than 8,9,10,11 I have tries everything including your script. Any suggestions?

I cannot imagine why pins 2 and 5-7 aren't working - that's a significant deviation from what I consider "the norm" (established Memorial Day Weekend 2015 - so it has some miles under it ;))

So, no, I have no suggestions. If one started with virgin hardware and only installed what's needed to support R'Pints, it's unfathomable why those pins don't work. Sorry...

Cheers!

What you desire is a dynamic dns forwarding. which is only necessary because from time to time your home up address will change. you can go to no-ip.com and and setup an account and figure out what option works best for you. if you have certain routers, you may already have a free way to forward your ip. my netgear router had this option built right in. from there you can either link to or iframe your current pints display into another page.
Thanks for your response. I understand how port forwarding and dynamic IPs work. What I am wanting to do is to have my Pints output update into a Google Sites page. With that, I would not need to open any ports or have an IP setup and could have my Pints display on my Google Site. Basically instead of port forwarding I would be forwarding from RPi, to Google Sites and hence, out to the free world.

Thanks for your response. I understand how port forwarding and dynamic IPs work. What I am wanting to do is to have my Pints output update into a Google Sites page. With that, I would not need to open any ports or have an IP setup and could have my Pints display on my Google Site. Basically instead of port forwarding I would be forwarding from RPi, to Google Sites and hence, out to the free world.

If you wanna go the screenshot route, you can use xwd and imagemagick (both should be already installed):
Code:
xwd -root -display :0 | convert - jpg:file.jpg
Not sure how you'd be able to manage to log into your google site to upload your pic from a script. Once you figure that out, you could create a shell script that takes the screenshot and uploads it to your site, and call that from cron via a crontab entry.

Cheers
-Th

If you wanna go the screenshot route, you can use xwd and imagemagick (both should be already installed):
Code:
xwd -root -display :0 | convert - jpg:file.jpg
Not sure how you'd be able to manage to log into your google site to upload your pic from a script. Once you figure that out, you could create a shell script that takes the screenshot and uploads it to your site, and call that from cron via a crontab entry.

Cheers
-Th
Thanks, the screen capture is a great idea. My setup include the flow meters so I might able to have the scrip that updates the pours update after each pull of the tap. I will be a couple of days before I can give this a shot, but I will report back my results.

I've been trying to install RaspberryPints for over a month now & it's frustrating!
I've followed the bogus RaspberryPints website instructions to a tee & have gone all over this forum. I think I ran out of Google places for help & can still not get through Step 6. Some say to use chromium & some say not to. I'm doing the flowmeter install & in step 6, no matter what direction I take, I can't seem to execute either sudo ./setup OR sudo ./jessie-setup.
Should I go back to the original RaspberryPints & just upgrade along or what.
Does anyone have notes on how they successfully went about installing this thing?
I have all the required hardware & can go through Windows or Mac.
Please help me get this off the ground. Thanks!

I've been trying to install RaspberryPints for over a month now & it's frustrating!
I've followed the bogus RaspberryPints website instructions to a tee & have gone all over this forum. I think I ran out of Google places for help & can still not get through Step 6. Some say to use chromium & some say not to. I'm doing the flowmeter install & in step 6, no matter what direction I take, I can't seem to execute either sudo ./setup OR sudo ./jessie-setup.
Should I go back to the original RaspberryPints & just upgrade along or what.
Does anyone have notes on how they successfully went about installing this thing?
I have all the required hardware & can go through Windows or Mac.
Please help me get this off the ground. Thanks!

I had to install dos2unis to get ./jessie_setup to work

ok, so im at step 6 in the install without flow meters. I downloaded WinSCP and connected to my PI. Problem is when I go to set the Octal to 0777 and click set owner permissions i get an error.

cannot change properties of file www/sql/update.sql
permission denied
error code 3
error message from server: permission denied.

I have google as much as I can but I cannot get it to work correctly. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I see people are having trouble installing Raspberry Pints on the latest RPi. I had need to replace my installation this past weekend, and figured out how to get everything working (without flow meters). I'm leaving instructions here in the event it helps someone out.

A few notes:
1) I used the Raspian download, not NOOBS, although I would think these changes would work with either release.
2) I didn't follow the directions for setting up overscan, wifi, etc. I am an experienced RPi user, so I am unsure of the fixes for those portions of the directions.
3) There are two substantial changes necessary to the installation instructions to support RaspberryPints. These relate to installing Chromium and auto-starting Chromium.
4) I also use the motion detector. I have no idea if anyone else uses this code and hardware. If you need the changes to get that working, let me know.

Chromium install. I followed the directions here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=121195
Essentially these are the commends:
wget -qO - http://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=bintray | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb http://dl.bintray.com/kusti8/chromium-rpi jessie main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser –y

Autostarting Chromium

Create a new .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart/, e.g.

sudo nano ~/.config/autostart/autoChromium.desktop
Then add the following:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=/usr/bin/chromium-browser --noerrdialogs --disable-session-crashed-bubble --disable-infobars --kiosk http://www.website.com
Hidden=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
Name[en_US]=AutoChromium
Name=AutoChromium
Comment=Start Chromium when GNOME starts

Then reboot. Chromium should automatically launch in kiosk mode after the desktop has loaded.

-Matt

Hi guys :D long time no posts.
Since my original installation in 2014 everything worked perfect until my screen packed up early last year :mad:
Got around this week to do a new installation with "Noobs1.3.10".
Everything went fine except Step 6. Can not get the Alamode-setup to install.
I can not figure out what's wrong(maybe just stupid) and I know others might have/had the same problem.
I even copy and paste directly from the website.
Tried a few things I saw on the net but no luck even if I try to do an install from the folder itself(not in command line).
Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Alamode.JPG

Thanks will do moved house and still waiting for broadband. Doing everything on the phone at the mo

Vin(+5v), GND, and the 6 easiest pins for Digital (8-13) highlighted here (yes you can also use 2-7 below them for Digital):

All flow meters goto GND, and VIN, the data wire for each meter goes to a separate digital pin on the Alamode. There are other places to pickup +5v and GND as well, but you can tie all meters to the same GND and +5v pins without issues.

Enjoy!

Thanks you for posting this! I was trying to wrap my head around how to wire this for a future project. I'm not familiar with the Alamode board, but this HD pic is all I need! Thank you!!!

Got everything sorted 99.99%.
One question though.
Is there away to reduce the size of the taplist display?
I tried different display settings and I can still not see the right side of the taplist. Can only see to calories/alcohol and down to tap 3 of 4.

Ctrl-plus and Ctrl-minus will change the window zoom level.

I don't know where that AlaMode related post came from but digital IO 3 and 4 will not work reliably.
The pins that will definitely work with R'Pints are digital pins 2 and 5-11.
Pins 12 and 13 may also work but may not - they are shared with other functions.

Cheers!

In step 9 when I run the "ps aux | grep flow_monitor.py" I get "/usr/bin/python /var/www/python/flow_monitor.py" instead of " usr/bin/python /home/pi/raspberrypints/ python/flow_monitor.py". Did I do an installation wrong?

I have followed the instructions but I keep getting a 404 not Found error with the files sitting in the /var/www/ folder. Has anyone else had this issue?

Did you recently install Apache2 - and is there a /var/www/html folder?
The latest versions of Apache2 default to using /var/www/html.
If you have that folder, try moving your R'Pints files there and see what happens.

Alternatively, you can leave your files in /var/www and change the Apache2 default:

- Edit the file /etc/apache2/sites-available
- Change DocumentRoot from /var/www/html to /var/www
- Save, Exit, then restart Apache2:

Code:
$ sudo service apache2 restart

Cheers!

Did you recently install Apache2 - and is there a /var/www/html folder?
The latest versions of Apache2 default to using /var/www/html.
If you have that folder, try moving your R'Pints files there and see what happens.

Alternatively, you can leave your files in /var/www and change the Apache2 default:

- Edit the file /etc/apache2/sites-available
- Change DocumentRoot from /var/www/html to /var/www
- Save, Exit, then restart Apache2:

Code:
$ sudo service apache2 restart

Cheers!
I did that now I am getting an error 500 but it looks like it is seeing the files this time.

The dreaded 500 "Internal Server Error".

Bleh.

Ok, take a look at the /var/log/apache2/access.log and .../error.log files.
See if they give you a hint...

Cheers!

Really? That's pretty strange.

Ok, let's back up: did you move the files, or did you change the Apache2 default html path?

Whichever you tried, do the other...

Cheers!

Back