[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried a different pin than 11 for your 4th tap. You can use pretty much any of them aside from the reserved ones. Maybe it is a case of mis-soldering the pin on the alamode. Maybe it is some other flaw. It is worth a try. All you would have to do is re-edit the alamode sketch and upload a different pin number for it to the alamode.

I am guessing the problem is hardware (pin) based since it is only on the one pin. Unless of course you used the version of rpints where you can edit the pins and flow meter sensitivities from within rpints itself.

You sir, are awesome. Swapped it to pins 7, 8, 9, and 10 and things are working perfectly. Thanks much! I sure appreciate the tip!

Glad to hear the simple first solution worked for you. The one thing I learned from working on computers for a living. Start by narrowing down the problem with simple stuff first. Save the time and patience consuming solutions for after you start with the easy stuff.

Some times it works and others it doesnt...Beer info will not auto populate when tapping a beer. Any pointers?

You most likely have illegal characters in your beer description. Even a hard CR will cause that problem. Wipe it out, try a simple sentence, and make sure that works.

One guy tried to put the entire recipe in the description field, with lots of CRs, tabs, etc.
No good...

Cheers!

fwiw, pins known to work reliably are 2 and 5 through 11.
12 should work but I have never tried it myself.
13 might work but could have a conflict with the RTC.

If pin 11 isn't working I would suspect either a hardware issue (possibly a soldering issue as mentioned earlier) or user error in configuring the sketch and/or when tapping a keg...

Cheers!

Hey guys....another question. I'm running captndelta's version of pints and he acknowledged a number of posts back that there's a bug in his system where the flow conversion rate (counts/gallon) defaults to 0 in the tap config. Does anyone know what this number is supposed to be for the Swiss flow meters? I can't find the info

Alright... I need some help. Day_Trippr is out on vacation so he correctly suggested I post directly to the forum. This issues goes back to the "Intital Release" but since this thread is more active, I'll post here.

Long story short I've had to do a complete from scratch rebuild. It's taken a couple of weeks to get it all sorted out, but I've got everything working, and some of the customizations added. What I'm still having issue with is that silly little PIR... The test script reports constant motion. I've debugged the hardware side down to a separate 5VDC power source for the PIR. I'm thinking this is a software issue related to the Device Tree/GPIO additions with the updates last year, but I have as of yet been unable to figure this out.

Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

EDIT: Running Wheezy, fully updated. Have BrewPi, 3 Sensor Temp_Logger, Scrolling temp display, and 2 flow meters, NO-IP all installed and functioning normally.

Last edited:
Just bumping my issue... I just removed the Alamode board and tried the PIR powered on a separate source with the data line plugged directly to the Pi. Constant "motion detected"... I'm at a total loss. Anyone have any insight at all, even some troubleshooting I might not have considered.
Thanks

There are two pots on the PIR, one sets the sensitivity, the other sets the "re-trigger delay". Have you tried adjusting the latter?

Cheers from the BVI!

I have... Honestly can't think of any other trouble shooting boxes to check short of a second set of hardware, and while I know I'd find a use for a second Pi and Alamode, I can't justify buying one for debugging this.

Just to clarify, I've tried multiple PIRs as well, different wiring/connector schemes, wrapping the PIR in foil to reduce emf, multiple power sources and voltages, I've changed the code to try this on different GPIOs, hours of Googling with no definitive leads... I have no clue what else to try. At this point I'm moving on unless somebody comes up with something completely off the wall to try.

I have... Honestly can't think of any other trouble shooting boxes to check short of a second set of hardware, and while I know I'd find a use for a second Pi and Alamode, I can't justify buying one for debugging this.

Just to clarify, I've tried multiple PIRs as well, different wiring/connector schemes, wrapping the PIR in foil to reduce emf, multiple power sources and voltages, I've changed the code to try this on different GPIOs, hours of Googling with no definitive leads... I have no clue what else to try. At this point I'm moving on unless somebody comes up with something completely off the wall to try.

How about a picture of your setup with the PIR and a good picture of the wiring? Someone might notice something that you're not seeing because you're too close to it.

I'll post a picture later today, but honestly I've eliminated the wiring as the issue. The last troubleshooting test I did had the PIR powered and grounded via a separate 5V wall wart USB, and the data line connected directly to the Pi GPIO via a single dupont jumper. I'm very certain this isn't in the wiring...

I do have a second SD card that I might format and begin a full system rebuild (yet again...) doing just pints w/o flow meters and see if I can get the PIR to work on a base install. Short of getting a test Pi this is the next best hing I suppose. Any wa thanks for the input and suggestion. Pictures forthcoming.

Current install:

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

I'll post a picture later today, but honestly I've eliminated the wiring as the issue. The last troubleshooting test I did had the PIR powered and grounded via a separate 5V wall wart USB, and the data line connected directly to the Pi GPIO via a single dupont jumper. I'm very certain this isn't in the wiring...

I do have a second SD card that I might format and begin a full system rebuild (yet again...) doing just pints w/o flow meters and see if I can get the PIR to work on a base install. Short of getting a test Pi this is the next best hing I suppose. Any wa thanks for the input and suggestion. Pictures forthcoming.

Current install:

I know you said you tried different wiring schemes and with different PIRs, etc but let me ask just to be sure. Have you tried using jumper wires and a breadboard and no other connections? If you have a short somewhere, it will cause what you're seeing. I see in the pictures that you've got splices on the wires.

Have you tried turning the sensitivity screw all the way to the least sensitive setting (I believe it is counterclockwise) and wiring it up? IIRC, it takes a long time to reset once it is triggered, like 6 or 7 minutes, so if you're moving at all during that time the connection will stay closed. One other thing to check is the jumper if you have one.

Fwiw, the PIR adjustment that's actually germaine is the aforementioned re-trigger delay, not the sensitivity setting. If the PIR keeps firing as frequently as stated, there's definitely something not right with it.

To perhaps simplify the situation, you can test the PIR with the AlaMode removed...

Cheers!

I know you said you tried different wiring schemes and with different PIRs, etc but let me ask just to be sure. Have you tried using jumper wires and a breadboard and no other connections?

Have you tried turning the sensitivity screw all the way to the least sensitive setting (I believe it is counterclockwise) and wiring it up? IIRC, it takes a long time to reset once it is triggered, like 6 or 7 minutes, so if you're moving at all during that time the connection will stay closed. One other thing to check is the jumper if you have one.

Yeah... The very last attempt was just the Pi powered directly via its wall wart, the PIR powered separately via a 5V wall wart, and a single jumper to the Pi on GPIO 7. Nothing else in the box was connected to the Pi.

Fwiw, the PIR adjustment that's actually germaine is the aforementioned re-trigger delay, not the sensitivity setting. If the PIR keeps firing as frequently as stated, there's definitely something not right with it.

To perhaps simplify the situation, you can test the PIR with the AlaMode removed...

Cheers!

I've tried the triggers set to both extremes and everything in between. As I mentioned above, yes I had the Alamode removed the last time. The trigger rate on the test script is about twice per second, continuously.

Anyone think this could be a grounding issue? Thoughts on how to add some extra ground paths?

I doubt there's any chance that it's a wiring issue at this point, and even less likely there's a grounding issue, assuming the three PIR leads are connected without a boat load of wire. And even then, I've successfully operated one of my PIRs at the end of a 20 foot run of CAT5, so...

This is a dead simple application in all respects save for the use of call-backs in the script (which was the most elegant way to do this). What I would love to see is a 'scope shot of the PIR output without it even connected to the 'Pi...

Cheers!

I doubt there's any chance that it's a wiring issue at this point, and even less likely there's a grounding issue, assuming the three PIR leads are connected without a boat load of wire. And even then, I've successfully operated one of my PIRs at the end of a 20 foot run of CAT5, so...

This is a dead simple application in all respects save for the use of call-backs in the script (which was the most elegant way to do this). What I would love to see is a 'scope shot of the PIR output without it even connected to the 'Pi...

Cheers!

Hmmm... Don't own an O-scope, best I can do is a DVMM. I'll poke around at work tomorrow though; I may be able get one for the weekend. This is kind of where I was expecting to need to go. We've got to have a couple around the lab, if I can't take one home, perhaps I can bring in my components. I will say the DVMM reads an even 5V on VCC, and 3.2V on the data pin. I realize a meter isn't going react fast enough generally to indicate a waveform, but it does appear stable...

No need to drag the scope home, just take the PIR and your 5v wall wart to work.
You don't need any more than that to determine if the PIR crapped its drawers...

Cheers!

No need to drag the scope home, just take the PIR and your 5v wall wart to work.
You don't need any more than that to determine if the PIR crapped its drawers...

Cheers!

Got it working... Took the PIR in today and had it on the O-scope. Basically the thing was just too sensitive. The EE and I played with it and managed to get the sensitivity dialed in when the sensor was powered with 12VDC as opposed to the 5VDC. I don't know anything beyond that because 'lectical stuff is all P.F.M. and the stuff of wizards and enchanters to a nuts an bolts ME like myself. Anyway just want to update and thank everyone again.

Well, that's excellent. :tank:

You almost had me worried there, but that one symptom you described about firing like every two seconds could only have been caused by the sensor itself.

The one thing I don't quite get is, the re-trigger setting should have held off even the hairiest trigger setting from rapid re-triggering. The PIR might trigger from across the room, but it shouldn't have re-triggered until the delay times out. Did you happen to set the scope up then adjust the re-trigger setting to see the "next trigger" push in and out?

Cheers!

Well, that's excellent. :tank:

You almost had me worried there, but that one symptom you described about firing like every two seconds could only have been caused by the sensor itself.

The one thing I don't quite get is, the re-trigger setting should have held off even the hairiest trigger setting from rapid re-triggering. The PIR might trigger from across the room, but it shouldn't have re-triggered until the delay times out. Did you happen to set the scope up then adjust the re-trigger setting to see the "next trigger" push in and out?

Cheers!

Pretty sure that's what we did... While on the scope couldn't get the trigger response to settle with 5V, it would drop to zero an almost instantly retrigger. We tried adjusting the sensor while on the scope, but at 5V it wasn't going to stay stable "off" long enough to let the monitor blank. With 12V we were able to adjust the sensor while on the scope to be much more stable. I took it home, plugged it in, aaaaaand it just plain worked! ;-)

I now have a completely functioning BrewPints box with flow, PIR, and Temp Logger. Now to the task of customizing the tap list display, setting up some password controls, and creating back-ups...

[...]I now have a completely functioning BrewPints box with flow, PIR, and Temp Logger. Now to the task of customizing the tap list display, setting up some password controls, and creating back-ups...

I'd create a backup image NOW before you manage to dumb-thumb something ;)

Cheers!

Ok, so I just downloaded a fresh copy of rpints master from github. Unzip it, no problems no errors. Apache2 is running fine. Fire up browser and navigate to appropriate web address and I get nothing displayed. Tail -f on /var/log/apache2/error.log and I see mucho many entries about a missing includes/config.php file. Sure enough, it's not there. rm-rf on the directory, re-unzip, and still no includes/config.php file. This leaves me thinking there is something missing out of the current master branch on github. Or are we supposed to write our own config.php , which is not included in the instructions on raspberrypints.com [emoji1]

Thoughts anyone?

I'd not be opposed to someone posting the contents of the default config.php file if it's not too long. vim is my friend and how I earn a living, death be unto emacs. LOL :-D

I have a couple of safe-guarded copies of the 2.0.1 archive and there never was a config.php in the distro.
It must get created as part of the bring-up process.

But, fwiw, here's the /var/www/includes/config.php that's in all of my running R'Pints systems.

Code:
<?php 
    function db() {
        $link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'beers', 'beers');
        mysql_select_db('raspberrypints');
	}
    $rpintsversion="1.0.3.395";
?>

Cheers!

Okay so I'm new to Linux so a lot of this has been a stretch for me but I'm learning. But I'm having problems now that I've got raspberry pints installed when I went to add my beers and taps in I can't get it to work. I've added a beer recipe interesting thing is i don't see anywhere to put in extra stuff like hops yeast etc. I added a keg and changed it to sanitized since I heard the keg won't show up otherwise. I go to taps and when it said choose a keg none are there. Basically I must be doing something wrong I have included screenshots for anyone who might know why.... It's a pi 3 if that matters.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462523876.773356.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462523887.786973.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462523898.669009.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462523915.926810.jpg

Okay so I'm new to Linux so a lot of this has been a stretch for me but I'm learning. But I'm having problems now that I've got raspberry pints installed when I went to add my beers and taps in I can't get it to work. I've added a beer recipe interesting thing is i don't see anywhere to put in extra stuff like hops yeast etc. I added a keg and changed it to sanitized since I heard the keg won't show up otherwise. I go to taps and when it said choose a keg none are there. Basically I must be doing something wrong I have included screenshots for anyone who might know why.... It's a pi 3 if that matters.

View attachment 353192View attachment 353193View attachment 353194View attachment 353195

Solved my own problem I had the master instead of the version 2. Whatever downloaded oops since that's the default page on github... Except it still doesn't have anywhere to change the miscellaneous recipe stuff like hops used etc. I mean I'm not as concerned with that feature but I still find it strange

You can put all that in the tasting notes section, which really should just be labeled "notes"

You can put all that in the tasting notes section, which really should just be labeled "notes"

Oh glad to know its not broken Is there a format to make it match up? It's just weird it has like blanks for those items after you save.

Looks like I will have to do a new install on a different SD card. When I follow links to Rasp Wheezy they just take me to Jessie. So, should I just install Jessie?

When I click on the link that EMPyre has I can only see the Alamode file. This is on my lap top. When I follow the link on the desk top all of the different files are there. Thanks for this EMPype. Not sure what is going on with the lap top. They are both running the same operating system.

Not sure what happened. I used the NOOBS_v1_4_0 to load on the SD card. When that ended the only selection to pick was to download Wheezy. I selected that went through the configuration tool like it shows on Step 3. When it rebooted I end up with a screen that looks like Jessie and not Wheezy. I've been searching around the desktop opening up every folder looking for a confirmation as to which one it is, but it definitely looks like Jessie.

While going through the update and upgrade parts I would see .... Wheezy/Main across the screen. Maybe it is working.

That is a little funny that it is a corrupt SD card. I started yesterday reading the 1700+ posts from the Initial release thread and then some of the last pages on this one. Then started to work on getting my old card up to date with v2. That was a challenge to get to the login of phpmyadmin. I finally figured out the "ln -s /usr/share/phpmyadmin" command starts with an L not an I. Couldn't remember the user name or password for phpmyadmin to save information before updating. Couldn't find where I wrote it down either since it was so long ago. So I decided to take this SD card out of the package and start fresh. I did download Jessie to it, because on the RaspberryPi website that was the only one available. Then after more reading and different computer glitches I was able to get NOOBS 1.4 loaded and then proceeded through Step 5. I did Format the card initially and then erased it. I have the feeling Skynet has it in for me.

Back