[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a different note...major kick-fest going on here.
taplist_14jun16.jpg

Fortunately I have replacements for all six kegs...

Cheers! :mug:

Hey guys,
I'm recently up and running on RaspberryPints, and this is really great! I have one piece I'm struggling with, regarding the solenoid activation. I find that no matter what settings I use, the Keg icon in the webUI always shows with a "Red X" in the corner of it.

I did some investigating (trying to do my due diligence):
- In the admin panel, the taps are configured with sane pin numbers (not using 18)
- tap flow sensors are wired up and working correctly, reporting vol to the webUI
- pin 18 on RPi is wired to my Arduino Nano reset pin, and I see the resets happening when i tail -f the rpints log and save a change to the tap config in the webUI
- I inspected the element of the keg icon via browser, and see it is set to div class "keg-disabled"
- Searched index.php and found the reference to this:
Code:
if($config[ConfigNames::UseTapValves]){                                                  if ($tap->get_valveOn() > 0 )
$kegOn = "keg-enabled";
else
$kegOn = "keg-disabled";  
}
}

- For testing I changed both states to "keg-enabled" class, refreshed webUI, and now i see a green checkmark icon instead

- Checked the /includes/configNames.php and config.php, all is well there
- Checked that useTapValves = 1 in the config table in MySQL

Although at this time I do not physically have my tap solenoids wired in to my Arduino, I suspect I am missing something basic. I've been searching this thread and cant find any guidance on wiring, is there something i can reference?

thanks for all you guys have done, this is an awesome project! As a side note, I originally found the old version of RPints, and had made a laundry list of things I needed to modify: webSockets based auto refresh of the keg/pour volumes, webAdmin based flow rate settings for the sensors, and so on... so I was THRILLED!!!! when I found this has already been done by you hard working guys!! Happy to contribute anything I can in coding and testing, just hit me up.

Hey all,

I uploaded a 3D printed box file to Thingiverse (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1644505). I designed it to hold all of the electronics for the RaspberryPints and BrewPi. The back is designed for a 12 port wall cover and all of my flow meters at temp probes, HDMI, USB and audio go though that cover. It's a tight fit, but it works! It even has a motion sensor mounted on the front. Just a word of warning, it took just over 48 hours to print! I also uploaded the original Sketchup files in case you need to make any modifications for the equipment you have, or if you don't want to use the Cat5 cables. Hopefully you find it useful. I felt the need to upload this as a thank you to everyone that has helped me along the way since this all started.

Happy brewing!

2016-06-12 18.21.06.jpg

You could save some space inside the box by using punch down keystone jacks instead of the gender changing coupling types. have you seen the wall plate customizer on thingiverse? I find the plates it creates to be way more rigid than the store bought plates, plus you can space out the connectors to accommodate for room. and the extra rigidity would eliminate the warping you seem to be getting from the wall plate. I like this idea as it uses readily available parts to reduce the amount of printing you would have to do.

I will have to look in to that. Thanks! And for the record, the plate is just not screwed in all the way in that picture. I did have to cut down the outlet cover plate because they are so close together.

Hi All,

I am at step #7 trying to install and configure Raspberry Pints and when I load the IP address I'm getting "Apache2 Debian Default Page" and can not progress any further. Any help?

It works!
This is the default welcome page used to test the correct operation of the Apache2 server after installation on Debian systems. If you can read this page, it means that the Apache HTTP server installed at this site is working properly. You should replace this file (located at /var/www/html/index.html) before continuing to operate your HTTP server.
If you are a normal user of this web site and don't know what this page is about, this probably means that the site is currently unavailable due to maintenance. If the problem persists, please contact the site's administrator.
Configuration Overview
Debian's Apache2 default configuration is different from the upstream default configuration, and split into several files optimized for interaction with Debian tools. The configuration system is fully documented in /usr/share/doc/apache2/README.Debian.gz. Refer to this for the full documentation. Documentation for the web server itself can be found by accessing the manual if the apache2-doc package was installed on this server.
The configuration layout for an Apache2 web server installation on Debian systems is as follows:
/etc/apache2/
|-- apache2.conf
| `-- ports.conf
|-- mods-enabled
| |-- *.load
| `-- *.conf
|-- conf-enabled
| `-- *.conf
|-- sites-enabled
| `-- *.conf

apache2.conf is the main configuration file. It puts the pieces together by including all remaining configuration files when starting up the web server.
ports.conf is always included from the main configuration file. It is used to determine the listening ports for incoming connections, and this file can be customized anytime.
Configuration files in the mods-enabled/, conf-enabled/ and sites-enabled/ directories contain particular configuration snippets which manage modules, global configuration fragments, or virtual host configurations, respectively.
They are activated by symlinking available configuration files from their respective *-available/ counterparts. These should be managed by using our helpers a2enmod, a2dismod, a2ensite, a2dissite, and a2enconf, a2disconf . See their respective man pages for detailed information.
The binary is called apache2. Due to the use of environment variables, in the default configuration, apache2 needs to be started/stopped with /etc/init.d/apache2 or apache2ctl. Calling /usr/bin/apache2 directly will not work with the default configuration.
Document Roots
By default, Debian does not allow access through the web browser to any file apart of those located in /var/www, public_html directories (when enabled) and /usr/share (for web applications). If your site is using a web document root located elsewhere (such as in /srv) you may need to whitelist your document root directory in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf.
The default Debian document root is /var/www/html. You can make your own virtual hosts under /var/www. This is different to previous releases which provides better security out of the box.
Reporting Problems
Please use the reportbug tool to report bugs in the Apache2 package with Debian. However, check existing bug reports before reporting a new bug.
Please report bugs specific to modules (such as PHP and others) to respective packages, not to the web server itself.

Did you install it in a folder when you first set it up? something like /rpints maybe you need append that to the IP address.

That text wall says the Apache2 default html file location is /var/www/html.
Meanwhile, the Raspberry Pints installation procedure has one locate the files at /var/www - where Apache2 isn't going to look.

So either move the entire R'pints root to /var/www/html, or edit the Apache2 config file (referred to in the text wall) to change the html default folder to /var/www...

Cheers!

OK, last question. I've got the taplist to display on my laptop, but it's not showing up on my display monitor. I assume it is due to the fact I could not get chromium to load so I moved on. However, I believe I read that I can install Iceweasel instead? Should that help with the monitor display?

Thanks,
Paul

Well I managed to get Iceweasel installed, but I'm still not getting a display. I entered the following command:

@xset s off
@xset -dpms
@xset s noblank
@Iceweasel –kiosk http://192.168.0.252

How did you get yours to display with Iceweasel?

I don't - I use Chromium on Raspbian Wheezy.

So, two questions:
- can you pull up any other html page on your 'Pi's browser now?
- can you pull up the Raspberry Pints page from a browser on another system on your LAN?

Cheers!

Now I can't pull up either. I could connect last night, but now that I switched @Iceweasel –kiosk http://192.168.0.252 away from @Iceweasel –kiosk localhost and @chromium–kiosk local host it seems to have stop connecting.

Any experience installing on a Pi Zero using Jessie (without flow meters)? I've gotten everything installed and working with the sample dataset. When I go to change a beer on a tap, the transaction is not successful. No Apache errors/logs, no Mysql errors/logs, no JavaScript errors. The page refreshes back to "Add Beer". I've resulted to updating directly into MySql for the time being.

I just noticed that I'm on 2.0.0 instead of 2.0.1, maybe that will help. The change log doesn't seem to reflect 2.0 changes unless I'm missing something?

Best to install 2.0.1, that way we can relate.
The changes were to get the flow meters running, and off the top of my head I can't think why that would fix your problem, but still, best to be up to date...

Cheers!

[edit]
fwiw, your post got me to fire up a new RPi2B RPints build atop Jessie for the first time (kinda punted when I had Alamode troubles).
After cloning the mysql database from my running tap manager along with most of the enhancement bits I've done,
I have no problem kicking/tapping kegs, etc...

Got my RaspberryPints up and running. Anyway to increase Taplist Logo size?

Of course - it's all just html after all :)
You can play with the style.css file to start, but you'll likely find you'll need to edit the base index.php file as well (I created a new header class, for instance).

Just remember to backup files first!

Cheers!

I am having a hell of a time with my RaspberryPi and RaspberryPints 2.0.1. I installed everything twice making sure I followed the instructions exactly - and manually checked that the install files were in the /var/www/ folder. However, when I go to the IP Address of the Pi I keep getting the same thing. The default HTML page that says the server works! I went and manually deleted the index.html from /var/www/html/, and then I get a blank Index page. I never get the part to finish installing Raspberry Pints. Anyone have a similar problem with the setup or tell me what I am doing wrong?

Edit: Ignore this question, as I figured out the problem. I moved all the pints files into /var/www/html and it works as intended now. I couldn't find a way to delete this comment.

Glad you worked through it.
It'd be nice if the official R'Pints folks would stick some Apache2 notes in the installation procedure to warn about this change...

Cheers!

Anyone have a working version on Raspberry Pints with out flow meters that they would consider copying to an SD card and selling to me? I have worked for hours to try to get mine working and have not had any success. I know it is because I don't have the right OS but I've gotten to the point that when I'm in the brewery I would rather be brewing than f'n with that damn Raspbery PI. I've had the screen all mounted on the wall for months but it just stays black.

I received my flowmeters today and the wires are about 4" long. Can anyone recommend extension cables? preferably amazon.

Also, anyone else with a standing kegerator/tap tower that has a recommendation on how to run these cables out of the fridge and up to the device (I'm thinking wall mounted directly behind the taps). I picked up the pi 7" screen, and have a wall mount enclosure on order.

New to the R-Pi world, never the less I installed Raspbian, then got RaspberryPints-2.0.1 up and running, no problems. I can edit/add/delete beers-kegs when working on the Pi unit itself. I can see the web page from any device in my house. I love it.

I can log in to the admin side from my windows desktop, I can go and edit/add/delete beers or kegs, BUT when I hit the save button on windows, I get a "no open socket" error message, and then a timeout.

I have opened up the permissions for the web server directory by using "sudo chmod -R 777 /var/www" hoping this was the issue, nope.

Do I need to change a port buy using the "listen" command?

So the sockets on the R-Pi Apache web server need to be opened? If so how the hell do I do that.

I try to do my research and homework before reaching out for help.

Thanks
ColeR-
In The Shadow Brewing.

[...]
I can log in to the admin side from my windows desktop, I can go and edit/add/delete beers or kegs, BUT when I hit the save button on windows, I get a "no open socket" error message, and then a timeout.
[...]
I try to do my research and homework before reaching out for help.

First, kudos on the research thing, we all appreciate it :mug:

What browser are you using external to you 'Pi?
Some seem to be prone to timing out (eg: Safari, by many accounts).

Try this (it can't hurt regardless, and may help):

Code:
$ sudo nano /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

Change "KeepAliveTimeout 5" to "KeepAliveTimeout 99".

Save, exit, then restart apache2:

Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Cheers!

Thanks for getting back asap,

i tried Firefox and the new internet explorer, in win10.

I'll give these commands a try when I get home.

Cheers!

Anyone have a working version on Raspberry Pints with out flow meters that they would consider copying to an SD card and selling to me? I have worked for hours to try to get mine working and have not had any success. I know it is because I don't have the right OS but I've gotten to the point that when I'm in the brewery I would rather be brewing than f'n with that damn Raspbery PI. I've had the screen all mounted on the wall for months but it just stays black.

I do realize that the lack of response to my request validates the absurdity of it. I knew that it wasn't as easy as copying it to a disk and sending it on its way. I just wanted to see what the response was. I guess if I really want it done I will need to read through the 2000 or so posts to this thread. I see that the web site to Raspberry Pints has been taken down.

Cheers!

Tom

Hi guys. Finally got my keezer built and ready to fire Pints back up. I had previously built it with meters prior to Jessie but don't have an image. I'm now building new and have a general question regarding Chromium. I've gotten to this point, just about to copy over the latest Pints build, but I'm not understanding why Chromium won't autostart under under /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart. I know there are some workarounds for this (none of which have worked for me yet) but I'm just trying to wrap my head around it as I'm new to Linux. Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about autostarting Chromium on Jessie right now.
Wait until you get the AlaMode working, then you can chase Chromium issues...

Cheers!

I'm installing without for the time being until I actually get the keezer completely done. Adding some taps too so I need some more meters.
All in all I figured it out but have a new issue.
Piecing things together from the interwebs, instead of writing to /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
I wrote to the following to ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
@chromium-browser --noerrdialogs --disable-infobars --kiosk MYWEBSITE

This got Chromium working great. Problem now is when I reboot it's displaying all the code instead of the actual taplist.

What the heck is going on here?

IMG_0456.jpg

Try this (it can't hurt regardless, and may help):

Code:
$ sudo nano /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

Change "KeepAliveTimeout 5" to "KeepAliveTimeout 99".

Save, exit, then restart apache2:

Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Cheers!

this seems to have helped out, i was able to update it remotely.
thanks again :mug:
ColeR

I just installed Raspberry Pints this week on my first generation Pi. I was looking for a way to track keg volumes sans the flow meters (although that would be a fun project), and I stumbled on this reddit post by "jjkeegan86":

https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/448ujz/raspberry_pints_with_buttons/

It certainly saved me some time modifying things on my own. I definitely think this should be a feature in the next version of Pints. I'm using an old HP Touchpad as the display/pour selector.

10mpkec.jpg

69gxt0.jpg

Back