[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, thank you for taking the time to write those two posts.
This place works best when folks kick in stuff when they run into - and especially, solve - issues. :mug:

Second...eeeeeewwwwww! Where have your meters been?? :eek:

I installed my six meters almost 18 months ago with the release of 2.0.1.
Up until now I haven't had any reason to pop 'em out of service for a full inspection.
So, thanks for that ;)

Cheers!

First, thank you for taking the time to write those two posts.
This place works best when folks kick in stuff when they run into - and especially, solve - issues. :mug:

Second...eeeeeewwwwww! Where have your meters been?? :eek:

Up until now I haven't had any reason to pop 'em out of service for a full inspection.
So, thanks for that ;)

Cheers!

Well. I am embarrassed to say that I have configured it 3 times this week so I wrote it for my reference then was inspired to share. I just hope it helps someone. I tell you though. Jessie has slowed my Pi B down drastically compared to Wheezy.

Yeah. I was surprised too. My only guess is that it either came in from little bits of debris left in the kegs, fermenters, etc and or came in through my keg line cleaning and sanitizing system. It got bad enough that the pinwheel in the meter was not spinning. I got some of the cheap sf800s so yeah... Wouldn't be a bad idea to check yours.

If Chromium runs properly when manually launched, you likely put its auto-run stuff in the wrong LXDE-startup folder
(at some point Wheezy moved the cheese ;)).

We used to use /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart, but now you should use /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart (note the '-pi'). Give that a try.

Cheers!

So I think I figured out what is happening to me, but I'm still having a problem. I keep trying to update my sd card on my old pi so I can run it on the new pi. Somewhere in the upgrade process, it does what you're saying, which is the upgrade causes wheezy to look for the autostart stuff in LXDE-pi instead of LXDE where it currently resides on my machine.

After the upgrade, I've been trying to write stuff to the autostart file in LXDE-pi, but I've gotten permission issues and I can't write there. I tried sudo chmod -R 777 / and I borked my system and had to start over from a clean backup point. I realize now that changing all of the file permissions for every folder under / is a terrible idea. What is the right way to go about getting the proper permissions for the folders that the upgrade is changing?

Hmmm... If the file was there a sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart should have worked as the sudo part uses administration credentials. You should have had no issue. What happened when you tried? Did you get a black file? An error? The file names and locations are care sensitive.

Hmmm... If the file was there a sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart should have worked as the sudo part uses administration credentials. You should have had no issue. What happened when you tried? Did you get a black file? An error? The file names and locations are care sensitive.

I'll try it again tonight when I get home. I think I tried it from the GUI and that gave me the permission error. I was trying to cut and paste from one autostart to the other, hence the GUI. I'll try the terminal with sudo and give it another shot.

So, thanks for that ;)

Cheers!

Day Tripper

Question for you about cleaning the lines. Do you leave you Swiss flows inline during cleaning? Could the solution damage the sensor?

Matt

Yes, I have a manifold that accepts all six beer QDs and hooks up to a pond pump in a bucket of BLC mix, with return lines slipped over the faucet spouts.
So everything except the kegs is exposed to the cleaner.

I've run cleaner through the meters at least monthly for 18 months, and there's been no apparent status change.

In our favor, these meters have a lot of experience in dispensing systems where CIP is the rule.
And the materials are rated well wrt the sodium hydroxide concentrations and temperatures typically used for cleaning (eg: standard BLC/water mix).

At this point I'm pretty comfortable about the whole thing :)

Cheers!

I'll try it again tonight when I get home. I think I tried it from the GUI and that gave me the permission error. I was trying to cut and paste from one autostart to the other, hence the GUI. I'll try the terminal with sudo and give it another shot.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm back up and running on a new Pi2, with a BrewPi working as well. Now to make my BrewPi look nicer in a case, and then to repurpose the old Pi into a controller for my smoker...

Off topic. I have been looking to build/buy a manifold like this. Where did you find the manifold?

manifold.jpg

Santa bought it from Chicompany :)

Santa thought the gas post would be a handy way to blow out all the plumbing after the final rinse.
But there's a risk of fragmenting the rotors if you blast gas through the meters, so it has gone unused to this point.

Chicompany would have swapped it straight up for another beer post, but I only have the six faucets to deal with anyway...

Cheers!

When I try to install chromium I get the error: Package 'chromium-browser' has no installation candidate.

Thank you for the link. I was about to buy the connectors separately and thread a section of Schedule 40 PVC pipe. This is a cleaner and cheaper way to go and it saves the me time of building one. Greatly appreciated. I already placed my order.

My pleasure, though I have to give props to "Santa", who picked up enough from idle conversation around the keezer to look for that piece...

Cheers! :mug:

raspberry pi model b, raspbian jessie, raspberry pints 2.01. I just tried starting from scratch again and still ended up with the same error when trying to install chromium.

yes, Chromium and Jessie don't play nice right out of the box...try Raspian Wheezy instead...much easier with that distro.

When I try to install chromium I get the error: Package 'chromium-browser' has no installation candidate.

yes, Chromium and Jessie don't play nice right out of the box...try Raspian Wheezy instead...much easier with that distro.

as A50SNAKE said, Chromium is unsupported in Jessie. But...

if you have a pi 2 you can make it work. Just follow the directions here
http://conoroneill.net/running-the-latest-chromium-45-on-debian-jessie-on-your-raspberry-pi-2/

But, if you are like me and only have a Pi B you will have to settle for Wheezy instead of Jessie (if you can find it), or you can choose an alternate browser such as iceweasel (though the masking for the glass to show the SRM will not work). For details see my longwinded how I got it to work recently

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7439741&postcount=1880
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7438549&postcount=1879

Yes, two posts in a row and i am listing them backwards, but 1880 is where the install differed for me from the howto on the raspberrypints.com site due to changes in Jessie

as A50SNAKE said, Chromium is unsupported in Jessie. But...

if you have a pi 2 you can make it work. Just follow the directions here
http://conoroneill.net/running-the-latest-chromium-45-on-debian-jessie-on-your-raspberry-pi-2/

But, if you are like me and only have a Pi B you will have to settle for Wheezy instead of Jessie (if you can find it), or you can choose an alternate browser such as iceweasel (though the masking for the glass to show the SRM will not work). For details see my longwinded how I got it to work recently

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7439741&postcount=1880
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7438549&postcount=1879

Yes, two posts in a row and i am listing them backwards, but 1880 is where the install differed for me from the howto on the raspberrypints.com site due to changes in Jessie

Using your instructions I was able to get all the way to step 7. When I pull up the webpage on the rpi http://localhost it just brings up a blank page. When I try to access it from a computer http://10.0.0.245 it brings up an error 500 page. any suggestions. I'm going crazy trying to get this thing to work.

So I erased all the RPints web files, uninstalled iceweasel, reinstalled icesweasel moved the version 1 files and changed permissions and got it to pull up. I then slowly updated each hotfix version and eventually was on 2.01 and it works!! Thanks for the tutorials. Now I just have to figure out the auto start for iceweasel.

So I erased all the RPints web files, uninstalled iceweasel, reinstalled icesweasel moved the version 1 files and changed permissions and got it to pull up. I then slowly updated each hotfix version and eventually was on 2.01 and it works!! Thanks for the tutorials. Now I just have to figure out the auto start for iceweasel.

That's great to hear. The way I got it to autostart was to make a desktop icon of iceweasel and then copy it to the autostart folder. That information should be in the top link with the changes from the initial setup (I think I had to create the autostart folder but it did work) then modify the link tolled localhost. When I am at a computer in an hour or so I will take another look.

Here is the iceweasel autostart bit again. It worked for me. This should be all you have to do.

Code:
to get it to autorun on startup I did the following

Click the Menu button, then expand Internet and right click Iceweasel and choose Add to Desktop
Then in terminal window I typed the following to make it autorun

$ sudo cp /home/pi/Desktop/iceweasel.desktop /home/pi/.config/autostart/iceweasel.desktop

just in case line wrapping kicks in the above is one whole command.  You may have to create the autostart folder in .config manually.  This command copies the shortcut to the autostart folder

$ cd /home/pi/.config/autostart/
$ sudo nano iceweasel.desktop

Scroll to the bottom and change 
Exec=iceweasel %u
to
Exec=iceweasel http://localhost

save and close. Then I ran iceweasel and hit F-11 to fullscreen. Alt-f4 to close and now when it launches it will launch fullscreen. Nifty huh?

This should make it autostart for you. Let me know if you still have trouble. If my description is fuzzy or confusing though, I got the technique from here
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=122444

Yea I got the autostart working. Just disn't see a line in there about needing to create the folder. I appreciate the help. Any suggestions on resizing the webpage to better fit on an ipad?

I will admit that I added that when I reposted it. Sorry about that. Unfortunately I don't have a solution for the ipad. Maybe adjust the monitor settings to be equivalent to whatever the resolution is on the ipad. That or maybe run it in desktop rather than mobile view on the pad.

Major keg kicking situation looming ahead!

ab_taplist_19mar2016.jpg

Does anyone else find themselve leveling their pours as they go along to try to get the keg volumes in sync?

Cheers! (Gonna hit that IPA right now :mug:)

[edit]Aaand the taplist wasn't lyin', there was just 8 ounces left in that second keg. Kicked at 0...

I don't know the answer to ^that^ question, but I suspect someone else does.
I'd have to dig into the R'Pints code to know either way...

Cheers!

Major keg kicking situation looming ahead!

View attachment 345556

Does anyone else find themselve leveling their pours as they go along to try to get the keg volumes in sync?

Cheers! (Gonna hit that IPA right now :mug:)

[edit]Aaand the taplist wasn't lyin', there was just 8 ounces left in that second keg. Kicked at 0...

That's totally me. Doesn't matter if they are session beers or summer beers or imperial stouts. I have a weird need to even all of the taps out when they get about half empty. That's the downside to the tap list. And they don't warn you about that when you're installing it.

They also don't warn you about the two or three nights of testing the system when you're installing it. There should be a warning about installing the tap list without being on vacation.

Major kickage. Keg 2 dead nuts on zero, Keg 3 with 6 ounces showing, and Keg 4 with 3 left on the meter.
Not too shabby (and about as exciting as things get around here ;))

ab_taplist_22mar2016.jpg

I have six kegs cold-conditioned and ready, but I want everything but the stout killed by the weekend so I can totally unload the keezer to clean up and paint some rusty spots on the floor.

Looks like it'll be wheaties and that dark ale for the next few.
I'm ok with that...

Cheers! :mug:

Yikes, it's like Wheezy evaporated!

But I dug around for awhile and came up with these:

http://debian.rutgers.edu/raspbian_images/raspberrypi/images/raspbian/2015-05-05-wheezy-raspbian/
http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/raspberrypi/raspbian/images/raspbian-2015-05-07/

Shows a zipped Wheezy image from May 2015.
First one is Rutgers (second one is in Japan) but still, scan before using :)

Cheers!

Thx day_tripper. Ran into issues initially with installing chromium followed by issues with the Alamode set-up file which got me reading all 192 pages of this thread. So when I went to the raspbian page and wheezy wasn't there anymore, I almost cried :-(

if anyone else needs the Wheezy image, let me know...I got it from their site, and I have it saved...some place, from when I had to redo mine as well. just let me know and I can put it up some place where you can snag it.

if anyone else needs the Wheezy image, let me know...I got it from their site, and I have it saved...some place, from when I had to redo mine as well. just let me know and I can put it up some place where you can snag it.

May need you to put it up if you don't mind...downloaded and unzipped the image from one of the links and copied it onto my SD card. Fired up the Pi and got nothing.

May need you to put it up if you don't mind...downloaded and unzipped the image from one of the links and copied it onto my SD card. Fired up the Pi and got nothing.

Did you copy it onto your SD card, or did you use the disk imager program to put the image file on your card? If you did the latter, carry on. If not, you can't just copy the file onto your card.

Did you copy it onto your SD card, or did you use the disk imager program to put the image file on your card? If you did the latter, carry on. If not, you can't just copy the file onto your card.

That could be the issue… I just copied it onto the SD card. I'll have to play around with it again tonight when I get home from work

no worries, as soon as i get home after work, I will throw it up...

I can google drive, or I think I still have a dropbox account, maybe...I could use...or mediafire or mega...which do people prefer?

Back