Versatile Cooler for Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aehernandez

Reaction score
I just posted something similar to this on an existing thread but thought I would expand it to see everyone else's thoughts.

In short, since I'm aiming to move exclusively to all grain brewing (I'm relatively new, with only a few batches under my belt) I'm looking at some of the standard coolers (Brands: Coleman, Igloo, etc.; sizes: 42-52 qts, mostly). The price is right on the 52 qt. Igloo Family cooler, which is going for $20 at Target, so that's what I'm leaning towards buying...

I'm wondering though--and forgive the newb question--if this cooler is suited for both my typical styles (which will yield 5-ish% ABV) and some more unique, say Belgian styles for which I'm shooting for a higher OG and ending in 9-ish% ABV. Should I look elsewhere, or will this big red Igloo do the trick? In other words, will this cooler give me the versatility I'd like for a beginner's mash tun?

Or, should I spend a little more for a Coleman Xtreme 52 qt. cooler for the sake of efficiency? Is the extra dough worth it, or will I get adequate insulation with the big red Igloo?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, those are both helpful tips / links. Any thoughts on the relative benefits of paying for one brand over another? Does the Coleman Xtreme line improve efficiency over a regular old 10 gal Rubbermaid? I ask because Coleman claims that the Xtreme line provides superior insulation...

I use a round Rubbermaid with the stainless braid, works great. I got 80% and 82% efficiency on my last two batches. (mash efficiency)

I own a Coleman Extreme, but do not use it for brewing. I can say, it is the best cooler I have ever had. It keeps ice for days if in the shade and never opened. It keeps everything frozen on camping trips for at least 3 or 4 days when packed full of frozen foods.

I have the 5 and 10 gal rubbermaids, I actually prefer the 5 gal. Very easy to move and knock out 5 gallon batchs, I think I get better efficiency with it then the 10 gal. I have no data to support it though. Combined I can pull off 15 gallons of ipa with an OG of 1.065. I feel it's a good combination of coolers to cover all grounds.

I just finished my coleman xtreme mash tun this past weekend. First AG this weekend. I am pretty stoked and glad to hear it holds pretty well.

Seeing as you are in LA and won't be mashing in any cold outdoor weather, I will say that almost any cooler will hold heat well enough to mash grain. I use an igloo ice cube, and only lose a degree or two during a 60 minute mash. Over the past few years I have mashed in several cheap coolers and experienced little temp loss. Preheat, preheat, preheat. Hell you could probably mash in a five gallon bucket and keep the temps up by simply infusing a few pints of boiling water during the mash.

This is all fantastic information. It's good to here that there are a variety of options available for relatively cheap that don't sacrifice efficiency / quality...

Back