Vasoline on O-Rings, and now my QD is a pain to get on and off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just my beard is gray, definitely used a lot of WD40 in my time...and come on, you have to be old enough to remember hair spray flame throwers, and mixing pool acid and alluminum foil? cannon fuse, gun powder, in an empty co2 thing? ahhh!! the 80's! ;)

Right you know, that was fun.
The WD-40 also worked great in potato cannons.

Now "fun" like that gets one on a terrorist watch list.

Although we used lye and aluminum foil, and now buying the lye gets one a meth lab watch list.
We would do the lye and foil in a coke bottle, put a balloon over the neck to catch the hydrogen gas, then tie off the balloon and put a piece of yarn about two to three feet long, light the yarn and let go of the balloon. It would rise 50+ feet and then voom as the flame hit the balloon. redneck fireworks
I'd hate to know what kind of trouble one would get in these days for stupid stuff like that.

vaseline and many other pretroleum lubes will cause the o-rings to expand and then the connections to stick. Pure silicone is usually OK. Check a local scuba shop they use it on the air regulators and other parts.

with the cylinder shut off right?

Yes. The pressure drops with the cylinder turned off, when connected to Keg. Does not drop when decoupled. Regardless - after submerging everything, I know I must be just watching absorption. If you shake the crap out of a fresh keg with 30psi on it, you can hear the low pressure valve in the regulator do its thing, just like when your filling a glass. I guess water likes Co2 enough you can watch it or hear it happen.

Back