Vasoline on O-Rings, and now my QD is a pain to get on and off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
given enough time make a QD difficult to remove from a keg post

I used to use vas on my o-rings, before i knew better..and reading this got me wondering, if maybe that's why one of my bev ball lock QDs is a real pain to get on and off?

Is there a way to clean it, or should i drop the few bucks on a new one?

probably been used with Buna o-rings with vas for 14 years!

remove the o-ring , wipe the post with alcohol, to clean off the Vaseline, install the new o-ring, if it needs to lubricated, use keg lube, which is food grade silicone grease. Also wipe out the QD with an alcohol dampened paper towel or piece of cloth.

so alcohol will clean the QDs? at this point for the three i'd need, think i'll just replace, they are still $5 a piece right? haven't been bundle with the yeast gouging yet? lol

i'll have to look....

(edit: stainless torpedo ones look cool for $15 a piece!)

Honestly, I'd replace all of the disconnects and o-rings.

0-rings already replaced, but i think i agree with new QDs also.....

Last edited:
at this point for the three i'd need, think i'll just replace, they are still $5 a piece right? haven't been bundle with the yeast gouging yet? lol

i'll have to look....

(edit: stainless torpedo ones look cool for $15 a piece!)

0-rings already replaced, but i think i agree with new QDs also.....

Or these:
$10.99 for 4 sets.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WS81W8D
Not sure where you see $15 for the Torpedos... Shipping might be through the roof on that.

Bobby sells some nice stainless ones for $17 plus reasonable shipping at brewhardware.com

It would be interesting to put a micrometer on the O-ring because I bet it has swelled.
I have very infrequently seen this and opted to replace the swelled rings - I'd say maybe three times in 16 years across 16 kegs and numerous ball lock posts doing fixture duty...

Cheers!

I used to use vas on my o-rings, before i knew better..and reading this got me wondering, if maybe that's why one of my bev ball lock QDs is a real pain to get on and off?[...]

Look inside the QD with a bright light and see if you find a ring of deposited rubber inside.
It doesn't take much, either...

Cheers!

I can't find enough data on thost Foxx connectors to understand what's under the swivel nut.
But check this out. The Spousal Unit is calling dinner so gotta run but this looks....interesting?

https://www.draftsupply.com/socket-head-for-ss-pin-lock-disconnects-liquid-91e04-011.html
1622761765786.png

Cheers!

It would be cheaper to convert your pin lock kegs to ball lock kegs.
That's insane. For the price of one set of stainless pin lock connectors, you could get two sets of stainless ball lock connectors and convert eight kegs. Have they ever sold any of these?

I've been hunting down leaks and I think I'm using pinlock o-rings on my ball lock posts. Dammit! I've been leaving my newly acquired expensive stainless steel disconnects off to maintain pressure and not go through somewhere around .5lb a day. OMG

Does vas cause shrinkage on buna? I wouldn't think so. I'm just using vas because to be honest I don't care for the price of the food grade silicone. Of course I say that after what seems hundreds of dollars sunk into draft gear.

I've gone completely around the bend for quite some time trying to hunt down leaks (a year?). I finally identified what is going on.
This is me, testing my theory.

regulator leak.... :mug:

Nope. In fact when I attempted to return it under warranty, the retailer suggested I submerge it, which I did and that was settled. The regulator is not leaking. After I cut that video I threw the tank and regulator in the tub as well. No leaks.

Also note, if I leave the tank decoupled, you do not see that drop on the high side, the pressure will remain for days. That means the regulator is fine.

Last edited:
Actually, I made a supposition that it was a "lot" of Co2 going into the liquid. I suspect compressed gas is very springy, and once compressed to a point, doesn't take much more to show higher pressure. So when the high side drops quickly it doesn't mean there is lots to expand into the liquid. Of course shaking the keg when the gas is coupled and turned off, you see the high side immediately drop - since agitating the liquid allows it to accept Co2 much more easily.

well i've never had luck seeing bubbles. but i keep my cylinder on a scale, and can see if it loses even an ounce quickly....

and this is an uncarbed keg?

Folks your age used Vaseline for everything. Never heard of new fangled stuff like K-Y, keg lube, or WD 40. Still have an ice box, I bet.

just my beard is gray, definitely used a lot of WD40 in my time...and come on, you have to be old enough to remember hair spray flame throwers, and mixing pool acid and alluminum foil? cannon fuse, gun powder, in an empty co2 thing? ahhh!! the 80's! ;)

Latest posts

Back