Vanilla Porter too sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbrah

Reaction score
8 Lbs Pale Liquid Malt Extract

Specialty Grains steeped at 155F for 20 minutes:
1 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Crystal 60
8 oz Chocolate
8 oz Cherry Smoked
8 oz Victory
Bittering Hops: 1 oz Willamette
Aroma Hops: 1 oz Willamette
Added 3 vanilla beans soaked in vodka in secondary.
OG: 1.064
FG:1.016
IBU: 22

Tasted a sample while transferring to secondary and it tasted sweet even though it hit the recommended FG. Was there not enough bittering hops in this recipe? any help would be nice.

Without tasting it, one can see that the BU:GU ratio is only 0.34, which is pretty low.

Brown porter has BJCP guidelines of 18-35 IBU, but that's with a lower OG between 1.040-52. You can see the lowest IBU and highest gravity basically matches your BU:GU ratio, but I wouldn't have aimed for those extremes.

This is tricky. Here's how I think I'd do it:

Use the IBU calc on the Brewer's Friend site: http://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/

Let's say you want to dilute with a minimal amount of water, one cup for example (0.06 gallons). You need to boil for one hour and end up with 0.06 gallons - that would be your batch size. If your boil-off rate is 0.5 gal/hr, start with a boil size of 0.56 gallons.

Now, if you play with a dilution calculator, you'll see that if you have 5 gallons of beer at 22 IBU, and you're adding a cup of bittered water, that cup will need to have around 400 IBU in order to balance the mixed volume at 26 IBU.

Figure out how much of your hops to boil so the IBU calculator tells you the bittering will be 400 IBU. It's about 0.125 oz at 6-8 AA%. You'll need to play with the calculator and figure it out for your volumes, boil-off, and hops. Don't forget that the SG of your boil is 1.000, plain water.

HTH even though it sounds a bit complicated.

This is tricky. Here's how I think I'd do it:

Use the IBU calc on the Brewer's Friend site: http://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/

Let's say you want to dilute with a minimal amount of water, one cup for example (0.06 gallons). You need to boil for one hour and end up with 0.06 gallons - that would be your batch size. If your boil-off rate is 0.5 gal/hr, start with a boil size of 0.56 gallons.

Now, if you play with a dilution calculator, you'll see that if you have 5 gallons of beer at 22 IBU, and you're adding a cup of bittered water, that cup will need to have around 400 IBU in order to balance the mixed volume at 26 IBU.

Figure out how much of your hops to boil so the IBU calculator tells you the bittering will be 400 IBU. It's about 0.125 oz at 6-8 AA%. You'll need to play with the calculator and figure it out for your volumes, boil-off, and hops. Don't forget that the SG of your boil is 1.000, plain water.

HTH even though it sounds a bit complicated.

You sir are getting me on track, thank you. Do you think I should use my original hop? Or should I go with something new?

Back