Vanilla Extract vs Flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damianinpa

Reaction score
All,
I'm making a 2.5 Gallon kit of Vanilla Cream Ale. The recipe says to add 2 oz. pure vanilla extract to Secondary. My concern is that this might give the beer a chemical or artificial taste. I'm curious if anyone can recommend something else. I see Brewers Best makes a whole bunch of fruit flavorings to add to beers. I'm wondering if this flavoring might be a better option. My last beer was a coconut porter and I used Coconut extract and boy, it really had a boozy artificial flavor, so, I'm a little gun shy to add Pure Vanilla Extract. Looking for opinions on this.

I would look at baker's vanilla paste as a "halfway house" between the two. Dissolve a teaspoon or two in about 50ml of vodka or other neutral spirits and throw it in.

I've used pure vanilla before as well as a tincture of vodka and vanilla beans . Both worked well. Never tried paste so can't speak to that.

More for the future, doing vanilla beans and vodka, as mentioned. Drawback to making your own vanilla extract is the time. My brother made us some and it was as good or better than the expensive store-bought.
I've had good results with Brewer's Best but I don't see how you'd get artificial-type flavors with quality vanilla extract which are probably made with alcohol and vanilla beans.

o.k., so, maybe I will will try Vanilla Extract and see how it goes. I could add 1 oz to Secondary and see how it tastes and then add another 1 oz if necessary. I have a bottle of just Store brand pure vanilla extract. Ingredients say Vanilla bean Extractives in Water and Alcohol. O.k. to use this or no?

O.k. to use this or no
Yeah, as mentioned, you won't need a lot. Just do it in increments with whatever method you decide.

KBS does one with vanilla and the hint of it makes that version really good. Normally, not a fan of adding.
Good luck.

I made a vanilla porter based on a robust porter kit. Added 2 oz vanilla flavoring from LHBS. Turned out great. I added the vanilla during ferment.

I made a vanilla porter based on a robust porter kit. Added 2 oz vanilla flavoring from LHBS. Turned out great. I added the vanilla during ferment.
Was this a 5 Gallon batch? If so, I think 1 Oz. might be better even though recipe say 2 oz. (since my kit is 2.5 gallons)

All,
I'm making a 2.5 Gallon kit of Vanilla Cream Ale. The recipe says to add 2 oz. pure vanilla extract to Secondary. My concern is that this might give the beer a chemical or artificial taste. I'm curious if anyone can recommend something else. I see Brewers Best makes a whole bunch of fruit flavorings to add to beers. I'm wondering if this flavoring might be a better option. My last beer was a coconut porter and I used Coconut extract and boy, it really had a boozy artificial flavor, so, I'm a little gun shy to add Pure Vanilla Extract. Looking for opinions on this.
If you use real vanilla extract, especially 2 fold or higher it should work just fine. The higher the fold the more concentrated. Try to avoid the imitation extracts with vanillin and methyl vanillin. The good bean houses also make excellent extracts and some even do non alcohol based extracts.

If you use real vanilla extract, especially 2 fold or higher it should work just fine. The higher the fold the more concentrated. Try to avoid the imitation extracts with vanillin and methyl vanillin. The good bean houses also make excellent extracts and some even do non alcohol based extracts.
My suggestion would be to add one half the amount called for during fermentation. When nearly finished, taste it. If more is desired, add it then. You can't undo an additive! Trust me.

Pure vanilla extract will work fine, I use 2 ounces in my 5 gallon imperial stouts I make. Vanilla Beans are 1st choice. Pure Vanilla Extract 2nd choice. Both will work and make a tasty beer.

Back