Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Williams

Reaction score
I would like to make a 5 gallon batch of Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale. I am starting with the Northern Brew extract kit for the cream ale. What would be a good way to get the caramel flavor and how much to use? I do understand that using vanilla bean in the secondary is the best but, again, how much.

Thanks,
Cheers

I would like to make a 5 gallon batch of Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale. I am starting with the Northern Brew extract kit for the cream ale. What would be a good way to get the caramel flavor and how much to use? I do understand that using vanilla bean in the secondary is the best but, again, how much.

Thanks,
Cheers

A cream ale isn't want you want to start with to make a "vanilla caramel cream ale" in my opinion. A cream ale is very light and crisp and without caramel flavors, sort of like an American light lager.

If you want to make a caramel cream ale (cream meaning creamy there I think), I'd start with an American Amber kit. Or do a recipe from our site: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/caramel-cream-ale.2435/

It'd be really hard to get caramel flavor into a cream ale kit, but you could do it if you left out any adjuncts like corn sugar or rice syrup, and added the caramel malts, lactose, and vanilla.

I sampled a vanilla cream ale once. A cream ale with vanilla flavor. Not my cup of tea.

Latest posts

Back