Vanilla Bourbon Oak Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, I brewed a stout today that I want to "emulate" a Vanilla Stout aged in a Bourbon Barrel. My question is how much oak chips should I use and what kind? I was talking about it with a buddy of mine that brews as well and he was thinking 2 or 3 cups of oak chips, covered in bourbon with my vanilla beans, and dump it all into the secondary and rack the stout on top. Is that about right or am I way off?

I do about 4 oz of oak chips. As far as secondary goes, it doesn't matter if you dump them into the primary or rack to secondary.

Racking is an extra risk of infecting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I do about 4 oz of oak chips. As far as secondary goes, it doesn't matter if you dump them into the primary or rack to secondary.

Racking is an extra risk of infecting though.

And the amount of Bourbon? I am thinking just enough to cover. Is that about right?

And the amount of Bourbon? I am thinking just enough to cover. Is that about right?

The chips will soak up what they are capable of soaking up. So just enough to cover should be fine. How long are you soaking them?

The chips will soak up what they are capable of soaking up. So just enough to cover should be fine. How long are you soaking them?

I was going to soak them for a few hours before dumping everything into the Stout. Sound about right or should I give them longer?

Back