Vac Pac bulk grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShineOn

Reaction score
Buddy and I are looking at getting some 50lb bags of base malts (2 row, Wheat, Pale...) and splitting them up. Would it be a good idea to Vac Pac them until use? or just keep them in totes? I was thinking about Vac Pacing in 2 - 3 lb bunches and storing them in totes Yeah or Nay?

Buddy and I are looking at getting some 50lb bags of base malts (2 row, Wheat, Pale...) and splitting them up. Would it be a good idea to Vac Pac them until use? or just keep them in totes? I was thinking about Vac Pacing in 2 - 3 lb bunches and storing them in totes Yeah or Nay?

considering they come from the malting company in non-gas flushed/non-vacuum packed bags; they will be ok in totes. you don't gain anything by treating them after the fact.

Do yourself a favor and get some "homer" buckets from home depot.

Cheap, easy to use, comes with a gasketed lid plus there stackable.
I could cram around 25pds to a bucket.

Vaccum seal and freeze hops, just make sure your grain is dry, sealed and out of direct sunlight.

how long do you think it will take you to use those grains?

unless you're storing them in a humid location for a long time, like 6+ months, i wouldn't worry about it. buckets and totes should do you fine.

+1 to home depot's homer buckets.

Back