Utopia Clone #3 Perfecting Nirvanha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, what the **** should *I* brew when I'm out there? I'm thinking a big-ass RIS. At least as big-ass as my mother****ing 60% efficiency will get me :mad:

No kidding, what can I bring too? I only have a 15 gallon set up but I have burners and a pump.

Yeager, I have your address but you never sent the directions to me.

No kidding, what can I bring too? I only have a 15 gallon set up but I have burners and a pump.

Yeager, I have your address but you never sent the directions to me.

They have these things called GPS's nowadays. If an old sheet like me can use them you should have no problem.

PTN

paulthenurse said:
They have these things called GPS's nowadays. If an old sheet like me can use them you should have no problem.

PTN

Thanks ptn, but Yeagers address doesn't show up on my gps. Thanks anyways though.

Hey, girls.

I'll look into a lead on some perf-metal for a false bottom (is that like a silicone implant?). 24" square should do it.

Have burner will travel, I was going to bring a boiler-keg, but after reading this trainwreck of a loveletter, I think I'll make it a mashtun.

Ive been playing with my autocad and I know PTN is crying right now trying to figure out how to and where to cut his cooper. 45* angles with an octagonal shape, good luck! let me know when you want a detailed drawing!

go high tech, draw adamn circle on old christmas wrapping, and lay it out full size.
now THAT is (almost) stupidproof :) mmmv :)

Hey, girls.

I'll look into a lead on some perf-metal for a false bottom (is that like a silicone implant?). 24" square should do it.

Have burner will travel, I was going to bring a boiler-keg, but after reading this trainwreck of a loveletter, I think I'll make it a mashtun.

I had my brother look into this as he supervises a couple of machine shops. He would have been able to get us the materials for cost and PTN would have just been charged for labor. I believe 18g, .094" hole diameter with 5/32 spacing was running almost $120 a sheet for Stainless and $50 a sheet for regular steel. There wasn't any comparable aluminum product. 18G was the thickest guage available with the correct specs meaning you would need 2-3 sheets to get the desired thickness. Turns out it wasn't very cost effective but much better than the $800-1000 needed to have it milled from a solid piece of stainless.

If you can find it for less I'd like to know so I can bust my brothers chops.

Cape,
We need to sit down and talk about where all of this anger and emotion is coming from? I can't imaging your mother didn't breast feed you enough, there was nothing she loved more than a set of lips slurping on her ....

Oh sorry, we agreed not to talk about your geneology.

My bad.

Dad

how did this "post of the year" nominee slip by unnoticed?

freakin. hilarious.

i have some scraps of perf metal in my basement from when I built stage sets, and theater props. it's about 3/16 thick aluminum - you can bend it and cut it by hand, but no where NEAR the size we need. i'm lucky it's big enough for grain mill guards.

it might be expensive stuff, but not when the customer's project is out the door, andthe scraps are sitting around. i just have to find out if they have any (enormous) scraps left.....

I love sitting at Logan. Good times good times.

Allllthough, there's a good chance I'll be at the Blind Tiger in NYC in a few hours. Yeeeeaaa me! I win! And Paul will be home... Bemoaning his girth.

Code:
I think you all mean "point and laugh". As a rule, I dont brew with Paul. Brewing with Paul is excrutiating amd I have no clue how Yeager does it. Paul, in his mind, is the absolute foremost expert on... Well... Everything and no matter the topic or how much sense you're making you're wrong and he's plowing ahead at top speed regardless how dumb what he's doing is. It makes for a really fun brew session... To watch.

Yeah I have a share in the beer but eff that. I aint brewing.

I cant wait.

"The Wiz" just finished building the manifold this morning. 3/4 inch copper pipe throughout, it measures just 21 inches corner to corner so it will easily fit within the Mega Tun and not draw down the sides. I need two end caps for the two pieces that dead end towards the center but forgot them at the hardware store, I'll pick those up and install them later. Once it's cooled off I'll clean off the burned on price stickers, polish it up, turn if over and drill a gazzilion holes, then I'll install the drop in the center.

1297699210.jpg

PTN

Code:
I think you all mean "point and laugh". As a rule, I dont brew with Paul. Brewing with Paul is excrutiating amd I have no clue how Yeager does it. Paul, in his mind, is the absolute foremost expert on... Well... Everything and no matter the topic or how much sense you're making you're wrong and he's plowing ahead at top speed regardless how dumb what he's doing is. .

Yeah, I don't know either.... I guess I just forget how bad it is... This year though I hope he realizes the difference between 1131 and 1201 is actually A LOT!

Any reason you're drilling holes as opposed to using a hacksaw to cut slits in the manifold?

You taking this beast out for a test drive this week?

Any reason you're drilling holes as opposed to using a hacksaw to cut slits in the manifold?

Well, I loaned Beergears my sawzal and don't relish the idea of doing all those saw cuts by hand. That's pretty much my only reason to pick one over the other. I don't want to drive down to Falmouth to get it so right now I'm going with the drill. I don't see where there should be any real difference between them.
PTN

Notice how he just skipped right over that Drinkswell?? Not a chance he's testing this thing. Testing it would be an admittance that there is a CHANCE this isnt going to work absolutely perfectly... and that's just crazy talk. In his head, he built it so it can't possibly work any less than flawlessly.

I really cant wait. I am counting down hours at this point

Any fluid/hydraulic engineers out there?

I'm planning on cutting (or drilling) channels (or holes) in the new manifold. It occurred to me that it might make sense to put the majority of the cuts away from the middle and have fewer in towards the center so the the fluid collected at the periphery doesn't stagnate at the end of a long line.

I'm probably not making myself clear, let me try again. If instead of an octagonal shape the manifold were a straight line would it be wise to have more cuts at the outer end of the line? It seems to me that if I have an equal number of cuts evenly spaced the ones closest to the point where the wort goes up and out would have an easier time moving the liquid along and fluid would 'back up' towards the end.

1297699210.jpg

So should I have relatively more cuts in the areas like the dead end spurs and along the periphery and less as I approach the center area. I plan on stopping an inch or so away from the 45* fittings so I'm not as likely to draw down the sides and channel wort than way.

Or should I just have a gazzilion cuts/holes everywhere and it will all be a moot point?

PTN

Latest posts

Back