Utopia Clone #3 Perfecting Nirvanha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm laughing so hard I have tears running down my face. The comment about PTN with a hoverround dragging his brew rig out behind it whenever a stuck mash or sparge is needed had me rolling. :lol:

Please do a brewcast of this day, with audio. :pray:

Don't encourage him. His head is already so swollen with his recent BBQ sucesss that he can hardly fit it through a door. You telling him he's making you laugh is going to make him even more unbearable to be around.

Besides, Hoverounds are for chumps like Brian! My turbocharged, dual overhead camed, fuel injected Series R5000X Rascal will eat Cape's Hoveround for breakfast.

"C'mon, Biatch! I'll race you for pinks! I'll be at the South Shore Plaza tomorrow at noon with The Rascalator. Three laps from Sears to Macys and back, winnner takes all. Bring your Hoveround on down. If you dare!"

PTN

Don't encourage him. His head is already so swollen with his recent BBQ sucesss that he can hardly fit it through a door. You telling him he's making you laugh is going to make him even more unbearable to be around.

Besides, Hoverounds are for chumps like Brian! My turbocharged, dual overhead camed, fuel injected Series R5000X Rascal will eat Cape's Hoveround for breakfast.

"C'mon, Biatch! I'll race you for pinks! I'll be at the South Shore Plaza tomorrow at noon with The Rascalator. Three laps from Sears to Macys and back, winnner takes all. Bring your Hoveround on down. If you dare!"

PTN

Tomorrow? Do you have AWD on that Rascal?

Well, I was solo climbing the Nordwand of the Eiger when I came across a lass from Grindelwald who was stuck on a ledge. She was paralyzed with fear, so I gave up my climb and slung her over my shoulder and started to rappel down. We had only completed two raps when there was a tremendous avalanche and a huge chunk of ice landed on my foot, fracturing every bone in it. Fortunately I was able to hop the rest of the way down the wall on my one good foot, all the while holding Heidi over my shoulder.

Either that or I tripped going out my front door.

PTN

Spent part of yesterday brewing and part getting ready to brew. Did a mild, a Blue Moon clone and a Delerium Tremens clone. But the best part of the day was insulating the Mega Tun.

I first stapled aluminum foil to the inside of the basket...

DSC_0048.jpg

Then we used a few cans of spray foam insulation between the braces...

DSC_0049.jpg

Went pretty smoothly except for one area that slumped down when we went back inside.

DSC_0051.jpg

I might cut up a piece of thin plywood to wrap around the outside and entirely fill up the voids, probably only cost another $50 or so. I like that idea better than a blanket of batt insulation.

PTN

Hey Bill,

Glad to see the Northeast Kingdom will be represented at the U3 brew fest. See about dragging along Gib, Evanmars, Eric and Red, et all.

Hell you can all stay home. Just send Red.

Damn, I spent too long in the hot tub with that bottle of wine.

PTN

BTW, PTO has opted in for 2.5 gallons of the U3. That leaves at least 2.5 gallons of U3 available for anyone who wants to step up to bat.

I figure the Mega Tun can handle the makings of 20 - 25 gallons of finished U3 clone. If you are interested speak up quick.
PTN

I haven't seen Glib around these parts in ages. Think he's too busy skiing or snowboarding or whatever the **** he does with this cold white ****. I'll post a message on the YI board, see if anyone else might want to go down.

So, are there any requirements that the last share of the Utopias be a local person? Would I be taking home 2.5 gallons of my own wort to baby and coax to life? Or, does this all get fermented out together?

I'm still interested in coming to this as I would really like to how everything comes together and lend a hand if needed.

So, are there any requirements that the last share of the Utopias be a local person? Would I be taking home 2.5 gallons of my own wort to baby and coax to life? Or, does this all get fermented out together?

You're local, you just live far away.

If you want in you can do it either way. I would recommend keeping it all together bur if you want you can bring it home

PTN

I'm more worried about having to stick around until the boiloff is complete at 11:30 PM. If someone else wants that last share, give it to them but if not I'll take it.

What time is the stuck mash scheduled for? I don't want to miss a second of that. I definitely wanna be there early for it..., that way I can reeeeally soak in the facial expression when not only you realize it is stuck solid but that I'm sitting RIGHT there.... With the world's biggest sh!teatin grin on my face.

I'm actually giddy I'm so looking forward to it.

Know what Bird... Unless you really want it, I'll take the last share. I don't know WHAT I was thinking not putting in for an "official" opinion on how this beer will be made.

Sweet Jebus.... Just THINK of the pain and aggrevation I can cause!!!

I gotcha your back Bird...

Ohhhhh man! I'm even more excited now. I can hear it now... "uhhh. Actually Paul, I agree with Yeager. We should do it his way. Two against one. You lose."

I'm more worried about having to stick around until the boiloff is complete at 11:30 PM. If someone else wants that last share, give it to them but if not I'll take it.

It won't be that late. I'm toying with the idea of welding up a pot that will sit across my entire brew rig so we can have three burners firing the boil.

That which is worth doing is worth overdoing!

PTN

I gotcha your back Bird...

Ohhhhh man! I'm even more excited now. I can hear it now... "uhhh. Actually Paul, I agree with Yeager. We should do it his way. Two against one. You lose."

Ya, like I'm stupid enough to let THAT happen.

You have a better chance of stumbling across Eric Clapton, Osama Bin Laden and Giselle Bunchen having tea together at Downtown Crossing next Wednesday at noon!

It won't be that late. I'm toying with the idea of welding up a pot that will sit across my entire brew rig so we can have three burners firing the boil.

That which is worth doing is worth overdoing!

PTN

How 'bout those metal pans that you set your water heater in, in case it leaks? They make those bad boys in stainless?

Are you borrowing Frankie's big new pot? That thing's got at least twice the surface area of a keggle.

I don't know if this will happen, but I *may* be able to fly in for this one, depending on when my taxes come back. PTN, I'll need a ride from the airport and generally a chauffeur for the weekend, and since you are an excellent driver after all the times you were allowed to practice in the driveway, I'll let you do it. Any word on whether Boston will be making an appearance? I know how he loves excuses to fly up that way. Oilllio is another one that barely needs any reason to fly somewhere, and watching this is a jim dandy of an excuse! If I can make it, is this black-tie or should I wear my "Ass-Clown" shirt?

PS. I'd make fun of Cape, but I never read his posts, so I don't know enough about him...

You can take it from those of us who know him well that its fine to just start whacking away. Pretty much whatever you hit will be something one of us have already given him grief over.

So do I understand that you are contracting OilllliO to drive you around for the weekend? That must be a hell of a tax return you have coming.

PTN

How come you got an Ass-Clown shirt and I didn't?

Made some yesterday snackage for the U3 day. A dozen and a half eggs, a package of Little Smokie sausages, garlic, onion, carrots, hot peppers, a few habeneros all steeping in a Garam Marsala pickle. Smells absolutely fantastic.

I'm afraid there is going to be some serious global warming happening in that garage after these get noshed. Pity the poor polar bears.

1297094520.jpg

Pardon the crappy iPhone pic.

PTN

So the size of this batch is now in question once PTN and I did some calculations.... 26 gallons of boiled product is really not possible in the megatun.... It really looks like we may only be able to do the 13 gallons in it. We are discussing options. Also we will need lots of brew pots to boil this stuff down....... More info to come. PTN and I need to discuss this some more. Plus i gotta order the grain bill this week....

Hippie said:
I don't know if this will happen, but I *may* be able to fly in for this one, depending on when my taxes come back. PTN, I'll need a ride from the airport and generally a chauffeur for the weekend, and since you are an excellent driver after all the times you were allowed to practice in the driveway, I'll let you do it. Any word on whether Boston will be making an appearance? I know how he loves excuses to fly up that way. Oilllio is another one that barely needs any reason to fly somewhere, and watching this is a jim dandy of an excuse! If I can make it, is this black-tie or should I wear my "Ass-Clown" shirt?

PS. I'd make fun of Cape, but I never read his posts, so I don't know enough about him...

Hippie, if swmbo is around and you come, please behave this year.........

So the size of this batch is now in question once PTN and I did some calculations.... 26 gallons of boiled product is really not possible in the megatun.... It really looks like we may only be able to do the 13 gallons in it. We are discussing options. Also we will need lots of brew pots to boil this stuff down....... More info to come. PTN and I need to discuss this some more. Plus i gotta order the grain bill this week....

I thought Paulie was going to BUILD a new brewpot?... :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back