Utopia Clone #3 Perfecting Nirvanha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my way to work this morning I saw this parked down the street from Yeager's.

rosenfeldtruck200x150.jpg

Alright alright... it's all fun and games and you know I'm just joking Paul.

In all seriousness for a second... I think you really need to make this whole thing more complicated. I mean... Just using two existing rigs that you know work??? Pfft... please. I'm with ya, that's just dumb, especially for a beer like this with a really expensive grain bill and it being a beer you would like to come out perfect.

No... you're right, this needs a much more complex and riskier way to handle things.

- Big plastic tub mash tun with spray foam around about half of it... YUP... good start.
- Add a herms loop... ok, I'm with ya. I like where you're going with this.
- Possibly have a few ICs hanging out of the top... yup... keeeep going
- Yeagers tankless hot water heater from his house... I LIKE it... very imaginative.
- a grant with yet another pump... the ICs... they're going to be on a pump too right? Ok, ok... I'm on board.
- Multiple other burners, pots, pumps, hoses, etc etc... to maintain flow, temp, and then actually try to boil at some point... yup. yup... ok.

And that's it????

I dunno man... it doesn't sound like there is enough in that equation that could go horribly wrong. I DO like the "nah, screw it... I'm not gonna test any of this until I dump 120 lbs of grain into this sucker"... I LIKE that... that's a nice touch but still. There's GOTTA be something else you can throw in there. Another variable of SOME kind since you've tried to make this as difficult as you can possibly make it.

Screw it... I say GO FOR GOLD dude... I would see if you can hook up the pumps to some sort of bicycled powered generator so you can "go green"... maybe use solar panels to heat strike and HLT water for the HERMS??

Gotta be SOMETHING. You can't just let these dozen or so untested variables be the ONLY ones.

AH-HAA!!!!! Maybe you could put together some sort of "barrel-suit" made out of steel that is essentially a big huge round steel tube that you could fit your whole body into.... and then... Yeager can spread all of the grain on his garage floor and then roll you back and forth over it for a crush... You could be a human mill!!!

THAT'S one part of this whole brew day you haven't made 100 times more difficult than it needed to be!!!

how about we just do all this after everyone's been "sampling" >10%ABV beverages since before breakfast? or is that too realistic?

yeah, I think that's gonna be the case anyway.... I should have listed that earlier.

hey Paul... I'm assuming I should bring at least some of my bottles of The Awesomeness since your bottles never carbed and are still flat?

...and then there will be undeniable proof that there is a God

and c'mon... what are you worried about?? It's not like there are about 50 people showing up tomorrow and whow-knows how many others watching online JUST to see this blow up? Dude... EVERYONE is toooooootally on your side with this. I am sure everyone will be totally supportive.\

Like I've said a million times on this thread... if there's ONE true law about brewing... it's that there is almost a ZERO percent chance that anything could possibly go wrong using a full set of never-before tested equipment for a 120 lbs grain-billed all-grain batch. That's like a law of nature.

Now that you have the whole brew day mapped out perfectly Paul...

Can you tell the viewers here your new, can't-fail, strategy on the yeast for this beer? You know, in case anyone is still reading this and actually wants to make this beer?

I know in the last two batches, you had massive yeast cakes built up from barleywine starters and while everyone else on HBT seems to struggle a bit to get this to fully ferment, your first two batches seemed to ferment out pretty nicely and as far I could tell, there was ZERO off flavors from yeast being stressed or anything like that.

Now... for THIS batch... you've apparently decided, "Nah... screw the big barleywine starter, I'm just going to do a 1.050 pale instead"..

Interesting choice... tell us more.

SO are we going to bring back up equipment that is known to work at this point? We can keep it all in the car until the unthinkable happens and and then say "Oh, by the way, I was rooting for ya, but I had this feeling in the back of my mind."

Oh see? Now you're just being mean. I, for one, would never mock Paul's misfortune.
Isn't that what this all is? A(nother) chance for you to mock him (relentlessly, for all time) if he fails or for him to rub your nose in it (relentlessly, for all time) if he succeeds?

Hope babalu gets to see the webcast, seems it would HAVE to brighten his day whatever happens.

Oh spanish... Sweet innocent Spanish.... I can't lose here.

Paul fails miserably and yes.... I WILL have the ability to rub into his face mercilessly for... Really... Years to come. Although I would never do that.

But... If it works!!! I have a share of this beer. I can sit back in my recliner lawn chair, all day tomorrow drinking beers, nodding and saying, "great, it works... Now make my beer".

And yeah. Thats a good call on Babalu. I wish we could get a laptop into him. I am pretty positive he wouldnt have an internet connection in his room. It sucks (obviously) but tomorrow is the type of day Babalu would have an absolute blast with. There arent many people that enjoy being obnoxious more than me and Paul... But Babalu is right up there. He would have had a field day with this fiasco.

Next year. He'll be there for U4

Is the webcast going to be recorded? Could it be burned onto a CD or a DVD to show Jeff? Particularly the bit when Paulie finds his dead puppy.

Hope babalu gets to see the webcast, seems it would HAVE to brighten his day whatever happens.

Trust me, Babalu is praying that somehow we both lose and have to suffer the slings and arrows of the others mocking laugh for all time while he sits back and takes it all in.

Is the webcast going to be recorded? Could it be burned onto a CD or a DVD to show Jeff? Particularly the bit when Paulie finds his dead puppy.

I'll check on Livestream and see if it is an option... I don't think it is unfortunately

edit: holy crap... apparently I CAN record it. Oh that's beautiful. I'll try to figure it out and record it. Then I'll see what I can do for editing.

Thank god! I'm in for a copy of the DVD! I can't wait to see the sparge get stuck and then the ensuing "scramble" as 3+ (tested) mash tuns are hurled into service, and the subsequent shoveling of 300 lbs of grain and water into each of them. Then the recirc setup will be absolutely insane...

Paul is attempting to make megatun more unusable as I type and so he asked me to post that the theme music needs to be 2001 a space oddessy

The really scary part is that all this talking of bricking the mash and cement I suspect that tun is gonna work like a champ and everybody on this forum is gonna be paying you $10 a pop just for the privilege of copying the BRILLIANT design.

It's a shame I will miss most of the webcast since I will be drinking free beer at a local brewery. Take pity on me :cross:

On a half serious note... This is one of the few times where I wish my rig was mobile. I would rather actually brew than just sit there making fun of paul

PaulTheOriginal said:
The Stein Beer setup will be in Yeager's backyard while Yeager and PTN do their U3 in the garage. You might say that with any luck, Smurfie and I will be out of sight and out of mind.

Wish i could say the same about PTN

The really scary part is that all this talking of bricking the mash and cement I suspect that tun is gonna work like a champ and everybody on this forum is gonna be paying you $10 a pop just for the privilege of copying the BRILLIANT design.

It's a shame I will miss most of the webcast since I will be drinking free beer at a local brewery. Take pity on me :cross:

Thank you, Eric, I always liked you. Unlike the Three Amigos, Cape, Bird and Yeager. That's OK, soon all of them and their little lapdog Dakota will kneel before me, kiss my ring and swear undying loyalty and respect.

And that is how it should be.

PT

I'll check on Livestream and see if it is an option... I don't think it is unfortunately

edit: holy crap... apparently I CAN record it. Oh that's beautiful. I'll try to figure it out and record it. Then I'll see what I can do for editing.

Wait...what? Edit!? You mean I was good with working tomorrow since I figured I'd be able to catch this at a later time and now you're gonna take stuff out? For shame! The hardworking manufacturers of fine foreign automotive heating and cooling systems of this country DESERVE only the best raw, un-edited coverage of this day. Granted, we didn't archive ours, but we DID send a bottle out there.

BTW, our U2 is still slowly fermenting after six weeks with just a charge of WLP099 from a *ahem* five gallon 1.060 OG IPA. Just sayin'. And OUR OG for the "U" was 1.200.

Threw that one in there for you Paul, but I still have a feeling the Mega Tun is questionable. But this does make me wanna try something off-the-wall crazy next year and not test it before brewday.

I will be thinking of u while I entertain my dau on 14th b day trip at the mall ... will surely stop at McNeill's in Bratt on the way back for a Utopia's #3 event memorial growler.

Back