Using (very) expired Organic Apple Juice for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5327echo

Reaction score
HI all, I was planning on making a batch of Edwort's Apfelwein oh...about late 2017 or so.

Then life happened and here we are today in 2021.

I had stored these bottles inside, they haven't been frozen or exposed to elements or anything but they are just very out of date. It's organic pure unfiltered AJ from Trader Joes with NO ingredients other than apple jice (I've used this stuff in the past and it makes killer cider)

I now finally have time to pick up where I left off in 2017.

They don't smell off....what are thoughts on using juice that is about 3.5 years past the expiration date?

It's not an expiration date but a "best before date". In this case, the usual behaviour of a frugal person like myself is to taste. If taste is good, all is god.

An expiry date ("to be consumed within a date" "use-by date") is something that, if not properly observed, can cause you some guts problem.

A "best before date" is something that warns you that the organoleptic qualities of the product are not guaranteed past that date. This is normally applied to food which doesn't really "expire" in the sense that it goes rotten. Most food of this kind has a "default" best before end date (I think it's two years) but in fact the product can remain acceptable for much longer. Maybe this will not be the best cider of your life, but I bet it will be cider.

I looked again at the lid and it does in fact say "Best Before", not "EXP" or something similar.

Also I have now learned what "organoleptic" means, so that's a bonus.

I went ahead and tasted it and it tastes fine to me, so I'm inclined to give it a shot.

Back