Using Sourdough Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacasse93

Reaction score
I would like to brew and ferment a beer with yeast living inside a sourdough starter. I have been reading through different forum posts and have seen that it is possible and coming across a few snags. Hopefully someone has tried it or something similar and can give advice. First, instead of brewing a couple gallons I assume it makes more sense to try to do a starter? I'm thinking at least it acclimated the yeast to wort sugars instead of simply the sugars in flour. I think more logistically speaking, how do I "pitch yeast" from sourdough? Do I just scoop a couple of spoonfuls of the gummy sourdough starter into wort (say in a mason jar)? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Over in the Lambic forum there's a longer thread on it. I've done it on a small 1-gallon batch - it fermented rapidly, though did not attenuate particularly well and didn't give a lot of
acidity or funk in unhopped wort. All I did was pitch a spoonful into the wort. There are ways to select for more alcohol tolerant yeast, but those are outside of my skill set.

It's something I'll try again sometime.

Back