Using Saison Dupont bottles for non-saison beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbarsquared

Reaction score
I just bottled some rye pale ales fermented with S-04 in (sanitised) Saison bottles. It wasn't until afterwards that I remembered the issues of STA-1 contamination. What are the odds that these will turn into bottle bombs?

If you got it clean and sanitized, it's ok. But if you start open bottles and they are, over time, increasingly carbonated, will be better drink them fast.

I got no problems yet, but I always try to clean and sanitize everything. Especially fermentation buckets.

Yup, use them, they're very strong.
Good, thorough cleaning (brush, hot alkaline cleaner) and sanitation (I prefer Iodine based sanitizers for those) is all they need. It's easy, they're glass, smooth, no seams or crevices.

As long as you reasonably clean bottles it should not be an issue. I've used the same bottles to hold ales, lagers, saisons, brett beers and sour beers with very few problems over more than a decade.

Back