Using pure O2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joral

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got my hands on a disposable O2 tank setup to replace my drill aeration method. After reading many different things on the best way to use it I'm still unsure. Everyone seems to have their own procedure for best results. Ive read to bubble the must 2x per day for the first 3 days, every day for 5 days, every other day for a week and so on. As for how long, Ive seen from 10 sec to two minutes. Is there a method that is kind of standard or should I just use something in the middle like once a day for three days, 30 sec? Thanks.

You need a regulator. There isn't much data for mead but the wine guys say 10 ml O2 per ltr of wine. I have no way to measure that, so I wing it by getting good "saturation" by eyeball. The aerobic phase of fermentation is short, usually only 24 hrs after pitching. So my method is to aerate at pitch and again 24 hrs later. When the lag phase is over and you see signs of fermentation (bubbles and foam) the yeast don't need oxygen any more.

Joral- I don't know where you read that technique, but it's too much. Oxygenate for 30 seconds to 1 minute just before you pitch your yeast. I've seen it recommended to reoxygenate again in 24 hours with a really high starting gravity, but as Maylar says above, you shouldn't need anymore than that, and can cause off-flavors by overoxygenating. Perhaps you were getting oxygenation confused with degassing?

Latest posts

Back