Using oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristophelr

Reaction score
I'm going to put bourbon soaked oak chips into my secondary. Should i boil the oak chips or is soaking them in bourbon enough for sanitation purposes?

This is an on-going discussion.

Technically, just soaking them is most likely not enough. That said, most people haven't had a problem after just soaking them.

This is probably obvious, but: boiling will most likely release tannins, so make sure you don't add the boiled water to the beer.

This is an on-going discussion.

Technically, just soaking them is most likely not enough. That said, most people haven't had a problem after just soaking them.

This is probably obvious, but: boiling will most likely release tannins, so make sure you don't add the boiled water to the beer.

I have also been told to not add the bourbon you soaked em in for the same reason... true?

Yes, do not at bourbon, just the oak chips. I quess the best approach is to boil, siak in bourbon then add chips to secondary. Thats what i'm gonna try. I'll let you know how it works out.

Another option is to add the bourbon and boiled oak chips separately. It's all going to be soaking in the same beer.

I have made multiple batches of imperial stout where I added both the bourbon and the oak cubes I soaked in the bourbon to the secondary for a month and they have all gotten rave reviews.

I detect no unpleasant flavors or tannins.

My current keg of this beer has the oak cubes in the keg and we're waiting to see whether we kick the keg or it starts to get too oaky first. So far, the oak is developing nicely after 3 months at 40*. If it goes much farther, I'll transfer to a clean keg leaving the oak behind and we'll finish it up that way.

BSD

How long should chips be soaked for sanitizing purposes? I now have my first sour beer going, complete with pellicle, because two hours in bourbon wasn't enough. Our maybe more accurately, it's my first infection :mug:

Back