Using mother nature for cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mermaid

Reaction score
I'm going to try using gelatin to clear the Belgian honey blonde that's been sitting in the primary for (going on) 3 weeks now.

Temps here in Boston have been in the 50s during the day, and 30s at night.

I don't have a big honkin fridge to stash my primary to crash cool it - would putting it outside on the back porch (covered to keep sunlight and other invaders out) be "okay" for crash cooling?

Is there any risk to doing this with temps going down to the 30s at night and 50s during the day?

Probably only looking to do this for 24 hours to get it "cold", then toss in the gelatin, then back outside for the gelatin to work it's magic before bottling / racking to the tap-a-draft.

Anyone use the great outdoors to chill their beer?

Funny you post this tonight. I'm using Mother Nature right now, in Wrentham, MA to cold crash my Lager Starter. Trying to get as much yeast as I can out of suspension prior to pitching. So far it's working. Now, your question...

My worry would be the light shock. But, like you said, you'll be keeping the carboy wrapped, so that's a non issue. BUT, what will you be using to wrap the carboy? If you are planning on using a Black Trash bag, keep in mind that the susnshine dueing the day, a Black Plastic Trash Bag, and I am willing to bet that the temp of that Carboy will be above the ambient temp. If I were you, I would pick a Cloudy day, and go ahead with you,re plan. If you think it's going to rain, just don't poke a hole through the bag for the Air Lock. We're only talking 24 hrs., right? Another option would be an overnight into late morning Cold Crash. It gets dark around our parts these days at about 4:30 in the afternoon. Put that carboy outside at 4ish, and get her inside in the A.M. before high Sunrise. I'd be willing to bet that would be a good cold crash for ya. I hope this helps and Happy Brewing my Fellow Nor'Eastah. :mug:

If the temps are in the 30s, no.

I would think that the danger would be freezing.

There's rainy/sloppy weather predicted again next week - I'll pick a day when it's 50/rainy during the day and high 30s low 40s at night.

I'll cover the carboy with an old blanket and set it outside and let it chill out.

thanks guys

Do you have a garage? My attached garage stays at 50 as the outside temp goes from 30-60 throughout the day. I moved my ale out there in its primary after 19 days, let it sit for 2 days and bottled, it was pretty clear.

No garage, but the back porch is outdoors and fairly free of direct sunlight.

I have some ideas - can probably rig up something that would partially mimic the effects of a garage (big plastic storage tub, blanket over the top). I probably can't get away with this during the coldest winter months, but we'll see what kind of creative solution I can come up with for the coming winter months.

Since I'm brewing smaller batches now (3 ga.) there might be some sort of enclosure I can come up with to cold crash outside without freezing the beer (unless of course, the temps are "wicked cold" as they say in MA - then I'm S.O.L) ;)

Anyone put a carboy into a snowbank? I was thinking that if you really burried one in snow you should be able to not only cold crash, but even lager like that. if you really pack it around the carboy it *shouldn't* get colder than 32 degrees f, right? sort of the same theory that orange growers in FL use if there is a cold snap...they spray the trees/oranges with water to form a thin ice shell so that the much colder air won't freeze/kill the oranges.

I'm still a noob, is it the UV rays that will skunk a beer? If so... Something to keep in mind, UV rays travel through clouds... Anyone who's gotten a sunburn on a cloudy day can attest to that. (I have.)

I've had a lager in primary in my basement stairwell (outside) for 3 weeks. It's in a bucket fermenter, inside a big plastic storage bin full of water. On top of all that is a couple of bags of shredded documents from work (insulation) and a tarp, to keep temperature changes down and light out. I check the temp every day and dump in some ice or hot water to keep it in the 50's. Most days it's in the lower 50's (I'm in Maryland), so I don't have to do anything to it. I'm thinking about leaving the bucket out of the bath overnight in a couple of nights to crash it, after bringing it inside a couple of days to be sure primary is truly complete. I don't really know how long to keep it cold after "crash", though. I was thinking about lagering it in a water bath in my garage until after New Year's. By that time, though, freezing really will be a concern.

Anyone want to chime in on any of that? Two day rest at 68 or so gonna hurt a lager that's basically done? Two months sound OK, or like a long time?

Thanks in advance

My worry would be the light shock. But, like you said, you'll be keeping the carboy wrapped, so that's a non issue. BUT, what will you be using to wrap the carboy? If you are planning on using a Black Trash bag, keep in mind that the susnshine dueing the day, a Black Plastic Trash Bag, and I am willing to bet that the temp of that Carboy will be above the ambient temp. If I were you, I would pick a Cloudy day, and go ahead with you,re plan.
I know cloudy days sounds logical, but you actually get more light on a cloudy day. It is a little diffused, but it comes from all angles. A sunny day allows the light to move in one direction. This is all coming from a photographer's pov, but light is light, and most of us don't want it touching our beer.

Back