Using Knox gelatin for the 1st time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the before and after pictures Clifton. The condensation on the carboys or maybe glare from the flash obscures it just a bit, but it looks like a pretty significant difference. How did it look in the glass when you poured it after carbing up?

They aren't the greatest pictures but you can see my temperature probe behind the carboy in both pictures. In the after you can see it all the way down in the before you lose sight of it after the first couple of inches.

In the glass these were some of the most clear beverages I've ever produced.

I hope I get similar results. This is my first time to use gelatin. I've never really cared about a bit of chill haze in the past, but I brewed an American amber ale that has quite a lot of chill haze, and I'm hoping I can clear it up. The beer was already carbed up in my keezer.

I made up a 1.5 gram solution and added that to the 5 gallon keg of carbed beer. I just disconnected it from the gas, let off the pressure, opened it up, poured in the solution, put the lid back on, shook up the keg, and put it back on the gas. If this works, I'll do the same to the other 5 gallons.

From everything I've read, I figure I'll need to leave it alone for a two or three days before I pull another pint. Or does it take longer than that to clear?

The gelatin did the trick. My beer is very clear now. It's good to know that the gelatin will work in an already carbed up keg.

I was just going to ask if this will work in an already carbed keg. Did the first pint pull all the gelatinous goo off the bottom of the keg and it was clear from then on out? Doesn't this risk some sort of clog in your beer tube inside the keg?

Back