Using Keg As Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b_mckendry

Reaction score
Just transferred from my glass carboy to my corning keg today. When is the earliest I can start charging it and should I is alright if I refrigerate it? It was in the primary for two weeks.

What is normal practice?

I leave mine in primary 3 weeks check the fg and taste a sample before it goes in the keg.... One in keg unless it is a wheat or light beer I let it sit to week 5 before throwing in fridge and carbing ( vast majority of my beers I age minimum 3-7 mo as I like big beers). More time at caller temps helps meld the flavors...
What beer did you make and what is abv?

As soon as the beer is in the keg, there's no reason not to immediately carb it. Why wait? Hit it with CO2 for 10-14 days and it'll be ready. Putting it in the fridge (serving temps) during carbonation is not a problem. It's what I do.

Just transferred from my glass carboy to my corning keg today. When is the earliest I can start charging it and should I is alright if I refrigerate it? It was in the primary for two weeks.

What is normal practice?

You just kegged your beer. This is not a secondary unless you plan on moving the beer to a different serving keg. (I'm not suggesting you should or need to)

• Carb it up right away
  • Chill it right away
  • Enjoy when you want.

I do 3 week MIN primary ferments. If I am going to dry hop, oak or add fruit or anything then they go into the secondary for that but if not then straight into the keg, straight into the fridge for my crash cool and carb process. I carb from the bottom up (in the beer out port) so I dont hit em with 15 PSI myself I go in at 2-3 psi and raise it slowly over the next few days. I find as the beer gets cold it pulls in the C02 as it needs it. Once I am at 10-12 PSI the beer is carbed and ready to serve.

Cheers
Jay

The only time I leave a Filled keg at room temp is if I'm dry hoping in the keg in which i leave it for three days then refrigerate and carb.

I typically cool the beer down before adding the CO2 it helps clear the beer and absorb the gas. You can wait as little as a day or as long as you want really but the longer you wait the clearer the beer gets.

With all of that being said ive racked a beer from room temp and put it straight on the gas...it works also but check your gauge b/c once the beer cools by morning the gas pressure will change on you.

The only time I leave a Filled keg at room temp is if I'm dry hoping in the keg in which i leave it for three days then refrigerate and carb.

Any reason not to carb while you dry hop? That's typically what I do when doing it in the keg (but I only do so when I can use leaf hops, in a hop sack) - it's only been a few times.

I leave mine in primary 3 weeks check the fg and taste a sample before it goes in the keg.... One in keg unless it is a wheat or light beer I let it sit to week 5 before throwing in fridge and carbing ( vast majority of my beers I age minimum 3-7 mo as I like big beers). More time at caller temps helps meld the flavors...
What beer did you make and what is abv?

You can just throw big beers in the fridge too. It will just take a bit longer to condition. I can't say I've noticed a big difference timewise between cellar temps and fridge temps.

Back