Using gelatin finings twice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Hey folks, i was thinking of cold crashing a 1.050 pale ale tomorrow and then in about 12-24 hours adding gelatin for another 1-2 days and lastly racking it to a keg and again using a gelatin solution of 1/2 tsp in the keg while i burst carb for 24-36 hours.

Anyone ever try something like this before? Double finings?

I haven't tried this yet but I need to. I have a cider that refused to clear after my first addition of gelatin plus cold crashing. Not sure why, as I've done nothing different than normal. So I'm going to add more and hope for the best.

I haven't tried this yet but I need to. I have a cider that refused to clear after my first addition of gelatin plus cold crashing. Not sure why, as I've done nothing different than normal. So I'm going to add more and hope for the best.

I'm a sucker for crystal clear drinks. Cider no exception.

But if i remember your username correctly don't you let cider sit in the fermenter/secondary or whatever for weeks on end usually?

Hey folks, i was thinking of cold crashing a 1.050 pale ale tomorrow and then in about 12-24 hours adding gelatin for another 1-2 days and lastly racking it to a keg and again using a gelatin solution of 1/2 tsp in the keg while i burst carb for 24-36 hours.

Anyone ever try something like this before? Double finings?
Sure, you can do that. But I think it's unnecessary. The only time I "double fined" a beer with gelatin was because it wasn't carbed and I had to rock and roll my keg again and it stirred up all the crap. Otherwise I've never had the need to add two separate doses of gelatin. Why are you wanting to do it twice?

I do it all the time. It does work. The second crash/fining -- obviously isn't as effective as the first. But it does help a little and Gelatin is basically free.

If I can have the time and space to use the fermentation fridge I will crash the primary and gelatin fine. Then I transfer to the keg, wait 48 hours and fine again. Gelatin is practically free so why not? I notice a slight difference the second time.

Where this make a bigger difference for me is-- well-- that if I have time I like to "keg condition" my beers to carbonate and eat off O2 in the keg. At room temperature, obviously.. usually after cold crashing the primary and fining the primary. Then I'll let it sit two weeks to carb up.. I put the keg in the keezer for 48 hours and use a little gizmo that I made out of a 1/2-pint freezer jar to push through gelatine. It makes a much bigger difference in that case as the beer does cloud up a little from the priming.

Often I don't have time for that though.

Yes. Months. 4-6 months is typical and longer is not unheard of.

Yeah i really have to get my system sorted once and for all i believe. I fall in the habit of rushing my beer. I need a bigger C02 tank for starters, right i can only fill it when i go to the city. I live in a rural area. I hate bottling but i have 5 kegs so i have to start using them all i believe.

Back