Using Flavor Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Showdown

Reaction score
Picked up a bottle of liquid raspberry flavoring in order to make a Raspberry Wheat beer for my wife. Talked to my LHBS and they suggested adding it to the secondary for about 7-10 days before bottling. Has anyone used this stuff before? I was wondering if there might be a better way - like adding it with the priming sugar during bottling and letting it condition in the bottles rather than a fermentor. Or, you may ask, why don't I just follow the damn instructions and quit trying to reinvent the wheel?

Might want to sample a bit in a glass of the beer and see if you like the taste. I added 2 pounds of frozen raspberries to my wheat beer in secondary, nice light raspberry flavor, which I wanted.

Might want to sample a bit in a glass of the beer and see if you like the taste. I added 2 pounds of frozen raspberries to my wheat beer in secondary, nice light raspberry flavor, which I wanted.

I'll second this. Some extracts taste nothing like the real fruit. Before you ruin a perfectly good batch of beer with some really off tasting extract, give it the taste test. I put a blueberry extract into a batch and it doesn't taste like blueberries to me.:(

I'll second this. Some extracts taste nothing like the real fruit. Before you ruin a perfectly good batch of beer with some really off tasting extract, give it the taste test. I put a blueberry extract into a batch and it doesn't taste like blueberries to me.:(

I'll third it. I was doing a chocolate stout, couldn't find the Nielsen Massey chocolate extract people had mentioned on here, so I just picked up a generic extract locally.. taste tested it, not a natural chocolate flavour. Got the better stuff online, another taste test.. big difference, dumped it in!

I've made a few fruit beers. I always add to bottling bucket, usually around .75 oz per gallon IIRC. I like to add real fruit in a secondary to get a more natural flavor, then the extract is added in at bottling mainly to get the smell and pop that is just plain hard to get from real fruit.

Latest posts

Back