Using dry yeast at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootney

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have read through all of the threads on this subject but still have some questions and would like some input.

First off the beer is NB Northern No. 1 kit using Wyeast 9097 Old Ale Blend. The original gravity was 1.115 and the final gravity was 1.022. This batch was brewed on 11/21/2010, racked to secondary on 12/19/2010 and has been there undisturbed since. After racking and further settling, this batch will yield 4 gallons come bottling day.

I was wanting to let this sit until June but living in Florida and having to deal with room temps around 80 degrees I don't want to develop off flavors due to heat. I have read on here that temps above 70 can cause off flavors.

I plan to bottle on or around 03/19/2011, and want to insure proper carbonation. I have read that this beer should carbonate just fine, if given proper time. I just don't want to rely on "should."

My plan is to use Safale S-04 at bottling to assist with carbonation. This will be the first time I have ever used a dry yeast. So here are some questions:

How much of the pack should I use come bottling day? I have read any where from half to a full pack.

Should I rehydrate the yeast? I have read that some people do and some people don't. Most of the threads pertaining to rehydration deal with initial fermentation and not at bottling.

If rehydrating is indicated how much water is to be used?

How tolerant is Safale-04 to ABV, as this one is a little over 12%. I'd look it up but I'm using the iPhone app and don't want to risk losing what I've already typed :)

Thanks in advance. Cheers

First off, you'll have no problem letting the beer sit at 80 degrees. Off flavors come into play when you FERMENT at those temps...not when you condition. If that yeast has already done it's job, then you'll be okay letting it sit longer.

As for the yeast, I would definitely suggest adding some at bottling. As you said...you don't want to rely on "should". All you'll need is around 1/3 of a pack of dry yeast. No need to rehydrate. Just sprinkle it into your priming mix right before you rack the beer on top of it. Make sure everything is good and mixed up, and you'll be fine.

Thank you for the suggestion on 1/3 pack, and skipping the rehydration step.

I guess I should have clarified my "off flavors" statement in that it was not pertaining to off flavors produced by warmer fermentation temps but rather storing/aging beer in warmer temps. Perhaps the warmer temps only pertain to beer once it's carbonated? I don't know so that is why I asked.

Thanks again for the reply.

The only thing that storing a beer at warmer temps will do is speed up conditioning. No...it's not ideal to have a beer conditioning at 80 degrees...but it won't cause any drastic side effects.

Suthrn,

If your comfortable with leaving a beer age at ambient temps around 80 than I can be as well. I just want to make sure that this beer is where it should be. I never age in secondary, but when I tasted this batch while checking for final gravity I felt it would benefit from extended aging.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back