Using corny for primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You planning on lifting that sucker up on the counter when you do your transfers? Not a huge difference I suppose, but

12 vs. 27 lbs + 50 lbs of beer. Depending on how your day went, 62 vs. 77 lbs squat to upright row onto 30' counter, then push back could really suck...

You planning on lifting that sucker up on the counter when you do your transfers? Not a huge difference I suppose, but

12 vs. 27 lbs + 50 lbs of beer. Depending on how your day went, 62 vs. 77 lbs squat to upright row onto 30' counter, then push back could really suck...
I’m not worried about the weight. I lift regularly and one lift into the chamber is totally fine with me. I also brew in a foundry and would pump transfer on the floor and haul it.

Trust me I’d much prefer to get the 6 gallon for space but the 10 gallon seems more versatile.

I have a flotit 2.0 on order. I’m hoping that will replace cutting dip tubes. I’m also hoping to avoid having to use fermcap, although it’s always there if I need it. My fear with the 6 gallon is not having enough headspace. I’m leaning toward getting a 10 gallon.
I've had no problems with headspace on the 6 gallon after 5 brews. I don't use ferrmcap and use a blow off tube. The problem I have experienced is my floating dip tube getting clogged and having to use high pressure to unclog it.

I’m not worried about the weight. I lift regularly and one lift into the chamber is totally fine with me. I also brew in a foundry and would pump transfer on the floor and haul it.

Trust me I’d much prefer to get the 6 gallon for space but the 10 gallon seems more versatile.

Yeah..I get that. I just did this with the other day with my 6G and my height is more of an issue than the weight. I suspect as I get older that may become an issue, but hopefully nothing I need to worry about for a little while longer. Space is an issue for me, so imagining myself lugging a 10G vs 6G up into the attic space doesn’t seem particularly appealing. Maybe just brew (and drink) more to not need storing is the answer? 😜 Not likely, but the notion is entertaining at least

I've had no problems with headspace on the 6 gallon after 5 brews. I don't use ferrmcap and use a blow off tube. The problem I have experienced is my floating dip tube getting clogged and having to use high pressure to unclog it.

I’ve been using fermcap on mine purely out of fear. Knowing that you’ve had no issues is great knowledge.

Are you using a filter on your floating dip tube? Cold crashing?

I did a 4 gallon batch in a 5 gallon keg and it resulted in a bad blow off but it still didn’t clog up the gas post. I took off the gas disconnect and would spray with star San both on the post and in the disconnect to kinda rinse everything out and that seemed to be ok but I’d still rather not do they. Is the 6 gallon wider than the average 5 gallon keg?

edit: also curious about your floating dip tube and if you have a filter on it. I’m opting for the flotit that has that double in line filter in hopes that takes care of that.

Sankey kegs are much better than corny kegs for fermentation. And they can now be adapted to accept ball locks. A 30L/8 gallon keg should be fine for most single batch fermentations. Re floating dip tubes, they've been used in UK casks for years and, apart from being very effective, I believe the much simpler designs are available in the US too. They work great in sankey kegs. Don't be put off by the fact they're made from plastic (FDA approved polypropylene and stainless steel mesh), my first one has been in continuous use for 4 years now and still looks new.

Last edited:
I did a 4 gallon batch in a 5 gallon keg and it resulted in a bad blow off but it still didn’t clog up the gas post. I took off the gas disconnect and would spray with star San both on the post and in the disconnect to kinda rinse everything out and that seemed to be ok but I’d still rather not do they. Is the 6 gallon wider than the average 5 gallon keg?

edit: also curious about your floating dip tube and if you have a filter on it. I’m opting for the flotit that has that double in line filter in hopes that takes care of that.

6 gallon is 9.125” diameter, and 27.25” tall. Imperceptibly different in diameter from my pin lock kegs. But looks like .625" larger in diameter than standard ball lock kegs.

I have used both the Torpedo Keg Buoy without a filter and the Flotit with the filter. Both clogged.

Sankey kegs are much better than corny kegs for fermentation. And they can now be adapted to accept ball locks. A 30L/8 gallon keg should be fine for most single batch fermentations. Re floating dip tubes, they've been used in UK casks for years and, apart from being very effective, I believe the much simpler designs are available in the US too. They work great in sankey kegs. Don't be put off by the fact they're made from plastic (FDA approved polypropylene and stainless steel mesh), my first one has been in continuous use for 4 years now and still looks new.

I use one of those cask widge floats in my 10 gallon Torpedo keg for some of my fermentations. The Torpedo and widge float are a nice combo.

Save yourself some $$$ and purchase a 1/2 barrel to use as a fermenter. That's what I did, I have 2 corny's I use for serving kegs and it's set up for a complete closed system. I even harvest the yeast using the closed system. All CO2, no oxygen.

6 gallon is 9.125” diameter, and 27.25” tall. Imperceptibly different in diameter from my pin lock kegs. But looks like .625" larger in diameter than standard ball lock kegs.

I have used both the Torpedo Keg Buoy without a filter and the Flotit with the filter. Both clogged.

Trong, the inventor of the FLOTit, sent me the new FLOTit 2.0 to try out. Much bigger, double filter. Seems to work well. Trong stands behind his products and will directly offer advice. He actually called me when I had a question about his SPUNDit. Btw, I love the SPUNDit.

Trong, the inventor of the FLOTit, sent me the new FLOTit 2.0 to try out. Much bigger, double filter. Seems to work well. Trong stands behind his products and will directly offer advice. He actually called me when I had a question about his SPUNDit. Btw, I love the SPUNDit.
Man…I have been trying to avoid finding an excuse to buy the SPUNDit.

He actually sent me one to try out. I loved it and bought another. I had been out of brewing for 7-8 years and just got back about 1.5 years ago. I had never heard of pressurized fermentations until Trong mentioned it to me. He sent me the SPUNDit and my brewing world changed!

He actually sent me one to try out. I loved it and bought another. I had been out of brewing for 7-8 years and just got back about 1.5 years ago. I had never heard of pressurized fermentations until Trong mentioned it to me. He sent me the SPUNDit and my brewing world changed!
I have a blowtie so I really don’t need it but I want it

I got one last year for Christmas. I love it for pressurized fermentations!
And you do five gallon batches? if so I assume there is no issues getting to pressure with that extra headspace? Or do you pressurize after pitching?

Huh, interesting. I don't think this would happen with the Clear Beer Draft System floating dip tubes, which is what I use. I have a couple of those keg buoys or whatever they're calling them and they're shoddy at best in my experience. In my opinion, though, there's no other way to go when fermenting in kegs - a floating dip tube is just awesome.

Hello all. First post after some time away!

I'm considering using a corny keg for primary, looking for guidance and answers to some questions
  1. In general, are there an downsides?
  2. With a five gallon corny, is there any headspace above the five gallon level? (I typically do five gallon batches)
  3. Woud probably use a quick connect to attach a blowoff tube to the gas-in fitting. Is there a better approach for handling blowoff?
  4. Can priming sugar be added to a corny, and bottles filled straight from the keg?
  5. Is there anything to keep in mind regarding forced transfers with CO2?
  6. Rather than shorten the out tube, has anybody used the Clear Beer Draught System? If so, how did it work out? https://www.shop.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/main.sc
  7. How difficult is it to clean/disinfect the keg and fittings between batches?
  8. What's the height of a corny, from the base up to top of the rubber collar? (needs to fit in my chest freezer)
  9. Is there anythig else I shoud be asking?:)
Thanks!

3. I use a jumper from fermenting keg gas port to liquid port on a clean, sanitized serving keg. Spunding valve goes on the gas port of serving keg. Over the course of fermentation, the CO2 purges my serving keg for me.
6. I use floating dip tube like those sold for the fermonster (I think that's the one EDIT: fermzilla). I bought some stainless lock washers to weight down the dip tube under the float because sometimes it gets stuck against a wall. I'm still fine-tuning how many to use so that it still floats but has enough weight to keep it submerged. I've accidentally left a good bit of beer in the fermenter because I thought it was done, but it just needed a jiggle and/or more weight.

I think MoreBeer made this keg just for this reason... otherwise i cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would want a 6 gallon corny.
Is there any other reason?

For $110, you are like almost to a stainless bucket, and a good chunk of the way to an actual fermentor.

EDIT: duh! Of course! I got this email from moreber today.

"New 6G Ball Lock Torpedo Kegs!

When we say 6G we're not talking about some new cell towers, we're talking GALLONS! A lot of homebrewers brew their batches to finish around 5.5-6 gallons to account for loss along the way. Nothing hurts more than seeing beer start coming out the PRV and knowing you have another half gallon or so left in the fermenter! Not to mention if your carbing through the gas post you won't have much if any surface area for the cO2 if that keg is filled to the brim. Fret of wasted beer no More! with the new 6 Gallon Ball Lock Torpedo Kegs!"

https://www.morebeer.com/products/torpedo-ball-lock-keg-6-gal.html

This would be my ideal. If you're skinny, you can get your arm in to clean the keg and do full sized batches still.

Buckets usually don't hold lots of pressure for spunding the end of fermentation or pressure transfers. Obviously without pressure you can't serve from them either.

I use a 7.79 gallon slim quarter sanke for my main fermenter. Cleaning is the biggest issue, because it can be very difficult to make sure you have the krausen ring gone, etc. Otherwise, I think it's pretty slick. I'd maybe prefer the 6 gallon corny, though.

Last edited:
Back