Using coffee to fix under hopped porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzur

Reaction score
I Brewed a porter a couple of weeks ago. I set the recipe up in beer smith phone app. All the numbers looked good on the app. Brewed the beer and went to plug the numbers into my computer, the recipe I used came out to 16IBUs. I missed some setting in the app..

I have a batch of coffee brewing on strong right now hoping to balance it out a bit. Anyone have a better suggestion for post fermentation bittering?

O.g. 1.045
F.g. 1.012

1.6 oz EKG 60 min
.6 oz EKG 15 min
.6 oz EKG 1 min

10 gallon batch

Looking at 32 oz. of hot brewed coffee added in secondary

Thanks in advance

Are you seeking a smooth coffee flavor or some sort of added bitterness to make up for the low IBUs?

For a nice, smooth coffee flavor, cold brew 4 ounces of course ground dark roast beans overnight in 20 ounces of cold filtered water on the kitchen counter then add it at bottling/kegging.

Be forewarned that hot coffee bitterness bears little resemblance to hop bittering. To me, hot brewed coffee added to beer ends up developing an undesirable astringent character with a stale component.

Back