Using coffee beans in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwatermusic

Reaction score
I am wondering about the possibility of contamination from cold brewed coffee added to secondary in a stout or porter recipe. I would assume it is common practice to preboil the water used for the coffee, but what about the beans themselves? If nothing else they would be exposed to my grinder which is far from antiseptic. My other thought would simply be a vodka tincture. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I have made quite a bit of coffee beers and have yet to have an infection. I cut some panty hose in half and dunk it in star san. While that is sanitizing, I take my coffee beans and give them a rough crush. Usually do this by putting them in a plastic back and hit them a few times with a food mallet. Then into the sanitized panty hose and I "dry hop" them for the given time I want.

Ive done the cold brew method but did like the outcome. You can give it a try though, I know many people have had success with it. Pre boiling the water is good idea. I wouldnt worry about infection from the beans though.

Thanks, good info. I do have a mortar and pestle just begging to be put into action with the rough crush method, which could be easily sanitized

I use whole coffee beans. Haven't had the need to crush them and after 2-3 days in secondary, I get a nice coffee flavor in my stout.

I have made a dozen or more coffee / espresso beers. My preferred method is to cold steep about 4 oz of fine crushed (espresso grind) fresh coffee beans in two cups of filtered cold water in the fridge for a min. of 48 hours. I put the ground coffee in a muslin bag doubled up.

I then add this cold steeped coffee liquid at bottling or when I keg. Infection is a non issue - your finished beer has enough alcohol at this point to keep any potential problems at bay.

I'll echo the tip to just tossing the beans into the fermentor. I've made 7 or 8 beerrs with coffee and whole bean additions are THE way to go. Maximizes flavor and aroma while minimizing any astringency from cold brew or hot side additions.

I dont find grinding them is necessary, plus its just another chance for bacteria to get in. As long as the beans are from a factory sealed bag, just toss them in.

Latest posts

Back