Using Bourbon Vanilla Sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessmosis

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm still somewhat new to brewing and I've gone from the prehopped malt extract brewing to the 20 minute boil type of kits. I want to start trying new things out and I found this great smelling bourbon vanilla sugar. I'd like to add this to my next stout but I'm not quite sure how much I should add to a 5 gallon batch. I want it to be flavorful but not overwhelming. The can is an all natural Demerara sugar too. I have 10oz(238g) total. Any suggestions would be welcomed, thanks!

Sugar has a tendancy to make a beer become `dryer than if it were not used. Keeping that in mind know that "belgian candy sugar/syrup" is used for certain styles of beer. Check out the recipe section for brews using it and that perhaps might give you an idea of how much to use as a max factor. I'd suggest using half that max factor for a stout and if you think it needs `more` then up the amount for the second batch. Certain flavors can be `added in` iunto a finished beer but they also cannot be removed, so best to be somewhat conservative at first.

Thanks for the response, I was planning on using half so this makes me more comfortable with you giving the same suggestion. Also being conservative about adding flavors is a good thing to keep in mind!

Yes, sugar will dry out your beer making it thinner and adding more alcohol. Thus can make not so good beer if done incorrectly. Definitely use in moderation as you've described. Maybe use a lower attenuating yeast to not dry it out as much also. Like sa04 instead of sa05. Bourbon sugar sounds pretty awesome though!!

I've already purchased the vanilla sugars but, vanilla beans sound like a good idea too, depending how this turns out I may just try this too. Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

I wanted to ask one more question about this. Should I use it during the boil process of my wort, my second fermenter or just use it as a priming sugar to try to capture the taste. I kinda figure the longer the yeast eats at it the less it'll give the beer a desired taste I'm going for.

To preserve flavor and aroma I would use the sugar for priming (use a calculator and go by weight, not volume) and add whatever isn't needed to the end of primary after fermentation is finished so it is fermented but not much aroma is driven off. There's no need for secondary.

Thanks for the response, I suppose I will just use it in the priming stage. After I thought about it for a while this is what I was thinking of doing. Any suggestions on a good calculator or should I just Google one? >.>

Latest posts

Back